Hammersmith Nude Murders (Stripper)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Neil

Just saw your post I thought it had fizzled out, so havn't looked in here for some time.

There is an archive photograph of the Gynneth Rees murder online. It shows a policeman walking in what appears to be waste ground. I consulted maps of the area, and it appears to have changed considerably from the 1960's so I didn't go over there.

Regards

Observer

Comment

• Gwynneth Rees Murder.

Hi. I believe the photograph that you refer to was a Mirrorpix image taken on or near the Thames towpath which runs at the back of the old rubbish tip. Regards. Neil.

Comment

• Berrymede Rd seems to be at cul de sac with new property there
        60 odd numbers Swyncombe Avenue appears to be closest for alleyway
        I found this pic in a book.Looking at GSView it seems to in the middle of Alliance Rd?
        Last edited by OctavBotnar; 07-15-2013, 11:19 PM.
        We're standing alone inside the night
        listen the wind is calling
        to the dangerzone beyond the light
        and suddenly we are falling
        But there ain't no stopping us now
        I don't know if I'll be back tonight
        It's just a machine inside of my head
        and now all the wheels are turning
        I'll think of the words we never said
        and deep in my heart it's burning
        But there is no stopping it now
        we're gonna make it somehow
        you wait tonight
        and we're waiting for the light
        Into the fire we will run
        into the sound of distant drums
        when you're walking alone in a dream
        on a highway to nowhere
        nowhere tonight

Comment

• Berrymede Road.

Berrymede Road is indeed a cul-de-sac. George Heard lived in the house opposite to where he found the body of Mary Fleming. His house was recently demolished and replaced with a new build. I recently traced Fleming's daughter Veronica and had a long conversation with her on the phone. I had an email today from Frank Quinn - Margaret McGowan's son. He said he found it strange to see a photograph on the forum of the pub where his mother had her last drink before being murdered. He said he would appreciate it if any more photos are posted on the forum. Regards Neil Milkins. P.S. About six months ago I recieved an email from South Wales Police confirming that Harold Jones is a suspect in the killing of Muriel Drinkwater in 1946. Watch this space!

Comment

• BTW, if anybody searches a copy of the Brian McConnell book Found Naked And Dead you can email me at: robertverger@hotmail.com

Comment

• 50 years ago on this Friday the 8th, the remains of Gwyneth Rees were found. Gwyneth had been missing since the previous September 29th.
              This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I read somewhere the other day that there was no real evidence the O'Hara was a prostitute. Any thoughts?

Stan Reid

Comment

• Does anyone know anything about a true crime book that came out in 2013 entitled Exposing Jack the Stripper by Fergus Mason?

Stan Reid

Comment

• It's only 120 pages so can't be much. For time being, we'll settle with Milkins and Seabrook. Wonder what happened to all his files after Seabrook passed away.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brickbat View Post
                      It's only 120 pages so can't be much. For time being, we'll settle with Milkins and Seabrook. Wonder what happened to all his files after Seabrook passed away.
                      According to Milkins, Seabook never had official access to the files at Hendon but came across them while researching Freddie Mills.

I'm not certain if the files at Hendon are identical to the National files ie Copies and whether they contain the same information

Perhaps someone would like to comment?

But one would presume once Seabrooke was given access he would be allowed to read and make notes with pencil and paper. The fact that much of the Jack of Jumps contains information almost verbatum suggests to me the possibility that he had access to a photo-copier. But I doubt he'd officially be allowed to take stuff away?

Whats extremely unusual is that rumours of a policeman suspect seem to have been riffe at Hendon training college for years. And Milkin claims that Seabrooke was given access to point a finger at Cushway and away from more senior Policeman. Personally I feel it more likely a smoke screen against corruption in the MET during this period and later in the 70's the vice squad and racism in the 80's.

I dont think theres real evidence that policeman make good serial killers outside Hollywood plot lines but usually if I make sweeping generalizations someone will come up with PC Plod in North Carolina who killed X.

But for whatever reason this is one of the few cases where the killer being a policeman has been taken seriously. Perhaps because of Seabrookes claim that the main victims where planted in different police areas info only known inside the police.. Personally I think it just a big co-incidence.

Now if we could hold of Brian McConnell's research that would certainly be interesting.

Yours Jeff
                      Last edited by Jeff Leahy; 03-29-2014, 04:13 AM.

Comment

• I neglected to note here, the 50th anniversary of Hannah Tailford's murder in February-perhaps the Stripper's first victim.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                          I neglected to note here, the 50th anniversary of Hannah Tailford's murder in February-perhaps the Stripper's first victim.
                          Not to forget we have a year of anniversary's .

Wednesday the 8th April 1964 the body of Irene Lockwood was discovered.

As no coroners report exists for Irene its difficult to know where fact and fiction entwine

Its been suggested that she was pregnant and that she had fresh water in her lungs. I can find no evidence to support either.

To my knowledge she was missing no teeth.

Her murder remains a mystery but was almost certain done by the same man who killed Hannah Tailford.

As an interesting aside Kenith Archibald confessed to her murder but was in prison when the following body Helene Barthelamy was discovered

Yours Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
                            According to Milkins, Seabook never had official access to the files at Hendon but came across them while researching Freddie Mills.

I'm not certain if the files at Hendon are identical to the National files ie Copies and whether they contain the same information

Perhaps someone would like to comment?
                            That's certainly not what Seabrook said, which was that David Capus of Metropolitan Police Records Management and his colleagues had made a number of closed files in MEPO 2 and one in CR 201 available to him. He also referred to three open files on other cases at the National Archives, including the MEPO 2 file on Freddie Mills.

Incidentally, although Seabrook said he was told that all the files on the nude murders would remain closed for 100 years, one of them - CR 201/72/60 - was opened last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris View Post
                              That's certainly not what Seabrook said, which was that David Capus of Metropolitan Police Records Management and his colleagues had made a number of closed files in MEPO 2 and one in CR 201 available to him. He also referred to three open files on other cases at the National Archives, including the MEPO 2 file on Freddie Mills.

Incidentally, although Seabrook said he was told that all the files on the nude murders would remain closed for 100 years, one of them - CR 201/72/60 - was opened last year.
                              Hi Chris. Thanks for the info on CR 201/72/60 news to me which might be most useful.

You are correct that Seabrook claimed to have the full support of the MET I quote: "I have benefited enormously from the kindness of the Metropolitan Police.. These files are closed to public inspection: David capus of MET Recordsmanagement informs me that they will remain closed for 100 years from the date of the last active minute' He thanks David Capus and Andrew Brown and Alan Oakley.

On Page 100 of his recent book Neil Milkin rights "Concerning the book 'Jack of Jumps" by Mr David Seabrook. In the introduction he gives the impression to the reader that I permitted him access to the Metropolitan Police case files: this is not true. The fact is that during the course of my correspondence with Mr Sreabrook I consistently refused him access to the files. Subsequently I understand that he approachedanother unit within the service and was granted access to the files by them. I am not able to say why or under what terms he was granted this access, but it was done without the consent of either myself or any of my colleagues within MET police records branch, where responcibility for authorizing the release of the information from records in the custardy of the National Archives ultimately rest. Why Mr Seabrooke should attribute this disclosure to me I can only speculate" David Capus.

According to Frank Quin "Seabrooke had told him his original research had been into the death of boxer Freddie Millls, Frank said that Seabrooke had told him that he had viewed all the original information relating to Mills death, which was stored at Hendon Police College at Aerodrome road, Colindale, London. While at Hendon, Seabrooke became aware that all the original files relating to the Hammersmith nudes murders were also stored there. Apparently he spent four months at Hendon studying them, which resulted in him publishing his controvercial book 'Jack of Jumps"

Finish Page 101

So it appears the original files are at Hendon. and Copies at the National Archive. I believe there is also archive facility at Peterborough.

But it does raise the question are all teh file identical and what information is stored and how much?

Personally I'd be most interested to know if the interviews of staff members at Heron Industrial Estate and the supposed vehicle regestration collection of vehicles in and out of the zone remain?

To my knowledge Hannah Tailfords Coroners report at City Arive is the only remaining one.

But any further light you might shed would be much appreciated

Many thanks

Yours Jeff
                              Last edited by Jeff Leahy; 04-05-2014, 07:00 AM.

Comment

• That's interesting. I always thought it was surprising that Seabrook was able to publish so much material from the police files, given the nature of the material.

I'd be surprised if the original files were at Hendon, and copies at the National Archives. I wonder whether it's possible that the files were temporarily transferred from the National Archives to Hendon for him to look at them there. It all sounds pretty irregular.

Regarding the other files that remain closed, there would be nothing to prevent anyone making a Freedom of Information request for access to them. The problem is that the FOI Act would allow them to withhold sensitive personal information about anyone who might still be living. That would include information about people's sexual lives (for examples statements by or about prostitutes or their clients) or allegations that people had committed crimes (for example identification of anyone as a suspect for the murders). On the other hand, that would probably still leave quite a lot of information which they would have to release, unless they could think of another exemption that would cover it.

Comment

Working...
                                X