Hammersmith Nude Murders (Stripper)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is Jekyll and Hyde

Forget, 'Who was Jack the Ripper?' and forget 'Who was Jack the Stripper.' What about 'Who was Jekyll and Hyde?' I know who he is. He is an author who on this forum on page 6 on 7-8-2008 tried his best to rubbish my book, Every Mother's Nightmare: Abertillery in Mourning. Last week, possibly because my new book on the Jack the Stripper killings is nearly due for publishing he is at it again. Google neil milkins and find links to bob hintons summaries or abertillery index iklan and you will find even more poisonous comments from Bob. You will also find many comments from prominent people and newspapers and other individuals that tell a different story to Bob's. Then lo and behold for some unexplained reason on this forum today Bob has changed from being vitriolic to being very helpful. Have I discovered the real Jekyll and Hyde? Regards. Neil.

Comment

• Eh?

Originally posted by Neil Milkins View Post
      Forget, 'Who was Jack the Ripper?' and forget 'Who was Jack the Stripper.' What about 'Who was Jekyll and Hyde?' I know who he is. He is an author who on this forum on page 6 on 7-8-2008 tried his best to rubbish my book, Every Mother's Nightmare: Abertillery in Mourning. Last week, possibly because my new book on the Jack the Stripper killings is nearly due for publishing he is at it again. Google neil milkins and find links to bob hintons summaries or abertillery index iklan and you will find even more poisonous comments from Bob. You will also find many comments from prominent people and newspapers and other individuals that tell a different story to Bob's. Then lo and behold for some unexplained reason on this forum today Bob has changed from being vitriolic to being very helpful. Have I discovered the real Jekyll and Hyde? Regards. Neil.
      I'm afraid Mr Milkins seems unable to accept constructive criticism. I wrote a review and published it on line, since Mr Milkins has opened the can of worms I will post it on the boards later. I really don't think my post on page 6 was trying to rubbish his book, I just pointed out what I honestly believe to be basic flaws.

Mr Milkins comments left on the review page seem to hint at some convoluted plot whereby my post giving him the details of History Press are in fact left by someone masquerading as me and so on.
      A reviewer’s first loyalty is to the person who is about to spend his or her hard earned cash on a book, and to give them some idea what to expect. It is not to cosy up to an author with a delicate ego and over developed sense of his own importance.
      My biggest disappointment with Mr Milkins book is that due to all the excellent research, both in retrieving information and discovering important photographs, he could have produced what could have been the definitive account of the murders, an account that people will still be referring to in a hundred years time. Instead all he has done is dumped all his hard work in an untidy pile waiting for someone else to come along and use it to write their own book.
      If Mr Milkins does not want to take up the possibility of The History Press publishing his work, that’s up to him, but I will point out that they do offer an editor and graphic design team as part of the package – or they did with my last book.

Comment

• Bob Hinton's criticism.

I would welcome posts from anyone who has read my book and also posts from anyone who has read Bob's review. The review can be accessed by googling neil milkins and going to the link-Bob Hinton Abstact. Neil.

Comment

• The Review

EVERY MOTHERS NIGHTMARE - ABERTILLERY IN MOURNING.

This book by first time author Neil Milkins is a bit like the curates egg – good in parts. The binding and quality of paper is up to the usual very high Bakehouse standard, unfortunately that’s where the good parts end.

The title ‘Every Mothers Nightmare’ is excellent, which is probably why Mark Thomas used it for his 1993 book about the James Bulger case. However the subtitle ‘Abertillery in mourning’ is meaningless and gives no hint of what the book is about. A lot of books are sold on their covers so you have very little time to grab the prospective reader’s attention. A more effective sub title such as ‘The Harold Jones murders of 1921’ would have been better.
          Once inside things rapidly go downhill. The layout of the book can best be described as appalling. The reader is faced either with solid pages of typescript, edge to edge with no apparent paragraphs, or else thin streams of type that thread their way in and out of the too numerous photographs. This makes it impossible to read, a big drawback in a book. It is no exaggeration to say that within ten minutes of starting reading I had to stop because of a splitting headache.

I found it so difficult to actually read, it being impossible to get any flow in the reading, that I was reduced to merely skimming the pages here and there hoping to make sense of it all. After I had done this half a dozen times it became obvious that at least 50% of the book was superfluous, having absolutely nothing to do with the case in hand. The writing style is awkward and lumpy and is almost impossible to discern what the author is trying to say. Far too much consists of great swathes of court transcripts and newspaper articles without the author explaining their relevance. For example one transcript consists of the Scotland Yard Detective trying to make a point to the magistrates, only being refused permission to do so. I was expecting the author to expand on this telling us what the Detective wanted to say and why it was so important, but alas nothing. I was left with the feeling ‘Then why put that in?’

The author has used large amounts of this type of information as his book instead of using it as an aid to create a book. In the back pages there is picture of a card written by the Welsh actor Victor Spinetti, in which he says ‘it is as if you had the police report in your hand’. But this is the problem. Speaking as someone who has spent long hours trawling through records of this type I can assure you that most of them are boring routine matters, not something that can just be laid before a reader in the vain hope it will grab his attention.

Much has been made of the photographs and here again Neil Milkins has a big problem. There are far too many of them, at least 80% are totally irrelevant and should be removed. A perfect example is one appearing on page 102, which is of a skip. The skip has absolutely nothing to do with the story but is standing in the same place where a house once stood! That’s like filling a book about Jack the Ripper with pictures of modern London saying perhaps Jack the Ripper walked here. Everybody that gets a mention, no matter how trivial to the story gets an entire photo gallery to themselves. A minor witness who gave evidence at the inquest is not only pictured, but so is his horse and cart. And just for good measure another photograph is inserted showing his sisters and the bakery they once worked at! The remaining photographs would have benefited from the attentions of a good graphic design professional who could have cropped and framed the pictures for maximum effect. A picture on page 103 is a perfect example. The caption states that it is of one of the major players in the drama, but on first glance all I could see was the interior of a shop. Closer examination revealed the man peering round some shelves. Wearing dark clothes he almost escaped detection.

The unfortunate result of filling the book with such extraneous pictures is that just like the written word you tended to glaze over after a while and not take any notice, which is a pity because buried deep in the morass Milkins has some very important photographs.

There is no doubt that the author did carry out some excellent research, and put a lot of time and effort into it. However due no doubt to his lack of ability and experience he failed to utilise the information he gathered correctly. The lack of an index does not improve matters.

I would say there are two ways he could save this book. One is to get hold of a professional editor and let him get on with it. Or two, team up with a co-author, someone experienced in turning information into a readable book.

The case is an important one and deserves to have a well-researched, well-written book to bring the story to the public. Unfortunately this is not it – but it is a collection of research notes that in the right hands could be turned into one.
          Last edited by Bob Hinton; 12-10-2009, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• Bob Hinton's second vitriolic unjustified criticism.

When my book was published in May 2008, 1300 copies sold out very quickly and a reprint was done in October 2008. I have had no complaints whatsoever except from Bob Hinton. I have had fantastic reviews from: GLENN CHANDLER the creator and writer of the world's longest running detective series Taggart: PETER KARRIE. star of stage, television and Radio. Peter is best known for his portrayal of the lead roll in Phantom of the Opera. MIKE BUCKINGHAM, features and crime writer with the South Wales Argus: TIM BUTTERS, features and crime writer with the Abergavenny Chronicle: VICTOR SPINETTI, veteran star of film, television, radio and stage. SARAH NUMMLIN, who did a fantastic ten minute review on Jamie Owens BBC radio show.
            Bob has also rubbished my theory on Who was Jack the Stripper? - The Hammersmith Serial Killer. Again GLENN CHANDLER who has read the first proofs tells a different story. Professor BERNARD KNIGHT CBE, MD,BCh, FRCpath, MRCP,DMJ(Path) MMFMRCP(Hon) FRSM, LLD(Hon)PhD(Hon)DSc(Hon) DM(Hon DPh(Hon), Barister of Grays Inn also tells a different story. Professor Knight is the eminent pathologist who recovered all 14 bodies bodies of Fred West's victims. Professor Knight, who has also read the first proofs of Who was Jack the Stripper has done a fantastic review. His comments can be seen by googling neil milkins and clicking onto Every Mother's Nightmare-Abertillery in Mourning Abstract. The question that now needs an answer is "Who would you rather take note of. The previously mentioned persons or Bob Hinton MA.

Comment

• Milkins Paranoia

I think Mr Milkins needs to lie down in a darkened room. He seems to have some paranoid idea that I am running some kind of vendetta against him. He writes:

“I have had no complaints whatsoever except from Bob Hinton.”

Mr Milkins I didn’t make a complaint about you, I reviewed your book, do you not understand the difference? More Milkins:

“Bob has also rubbished my theory on Who was Jack the Stripper? - The Hammersmith Serial Killer.”

Rubbished his theory? I wrote:

“I really cannot see Jones being Jack the Stripper.”

If you honestly take that as someone ‘rubbishing your theory’ I suggest you give up writing for good. Mr Milkins all you have done is called me a liar, I said my Bakehouse book had been reprinted – you accused me of lying – you were wrong yet I am still waiting your apology. You and your friends have dredged up some libellous rubbish placed on the boards by Karen Trenouth and tried to use that against me, and you have not stopped making personal attacks against me. All this because I dared to write a less than flattering review about a book I considered to be substandard.

If you are so confident that I am wrong and you have all these wonderful people leaving all these wonderful reviews about your book, why bother about what you claim is the only bad review? Get over yourself.

I think Shakespeare summed it up perfectly in Hamlet:
              Hamlet: Madam, how like you this play?
              Queen: The lady doth protest too much, methink.
              (Act III. Sc. 2).

Comment

• Milkins Paranoia Part Ii

One of Mr Milkins friends left the following comment on the boards (which I advise you to have a look at to get the full picture http://www.shvoong.com/books/1950643...ning/#Comments )

JayP180
                pontypencil
                I've been mulling over the comments about the layout of this book. Then it dawned on me! Neil isn't responsible for the actual publication and layout, Old Bakehouse is. It's like the managing director dictating a letter to his secretary. It's the secretary's job to make sure that the phraseology and layout of the letter is correct, not the MD. In this regard, I feel that maybe any adverse comments should be made to the publisher?

Now because the Shvoong boards only allow a very restricted length of comment I asked Jayp180 to email me so I could give him my answer. This was immediately taken by Mr Milkins as being some kind of dastardly plot against him (read his comments). I post my answer here so all can see for themselves.

JayP180
                You make a good point about who is responsible for the presentation and layout. Is it the publisher? Well yes and no. I’ve had a book published by Bakehouse so feel qualified to respond. First off I chose Bakehouse because their printing, binding and general presentation is second to none. However after discussions with them it became obvious that because they are a relatively small publisher they couldn’t offer the services you could expect from a much larger organisation. So to get my book published by them this is what I had to do.

After finishing the manuscript I had to write out an index, any non-fiction work must contain an index, otherwise it severely limits its use as a reference. The choice was either pay someone several hundred pounds or do it myself. I ended up doing it over an entire weekend with my wife. Then of course a bibliography had to be added, using International standard forms of listing.

The next step is to get the manuscript peer reviewed. This means sending it to acknowledged experts in the field for their comments. This will ensure that there are no errors of fact. I sent my manuscript to two of the leading authorities in Jack the Ripper research.

After this the whole thing was packed off to an editor, in my case a lady. The editors’ job is to ensure the basic structure of the book is correct, spelling, punctuation and grammar. She then checks for any portions that are excessive, parts that do not add anything to the book. Any paragraphs that need deleting will be blue pencilled at this stage, and the contents may be altered slightly, sections moved about within the manuscript. After all this she then checks the whole work for ‘flow’. Is the book easy to read and does the author write in a style that is clear, concise and easily understandable. The final job is to subject different parts of the book to various tests that demonstrate comprehension. I cannot recall the names of these tests now but I think one of them was a “Fleichmann” test or something similar. After she is finished the whole thing is returned.

The next step is to send the photographs to a graphic design artist. He will work on the photos, ensuring that the exposures are correct and any flaws are repaired. He will then crop and frame them so they appear in the best possible light.

After all of this I put the whole thing on disc (after first checking with Bakehouse what font they wanted it in) and sent it to them. They virtually put it into their machine and out came the finished article.

Now my most recent book was commissioned by Sutton Press (now the History press) this was a much bigger concern and part of the contract was that they would supply the editor and graphic design team.

When I finished the manuscript I sent it to be peer reviewed by one of the most respected authors in the world of True Crime, Richard Whittington Egan, he also graciously wrote the forward to it.

I then sent the manuscript and the pictures to Sutton and they got to work on it and produced a galley proof. This is the whole book but printed on long strips of paper. I checked it through and when satisfied gave them the ok. So you see my answer yes and no depends really on what the publisher can offer. However the final say in all instances is up to the author, it’s his work and the final product is down to him.

Many authors work in collaboration with another co author. Take Stewart P Evans, one of the most knowledgeable people when it comes to Jack the Ripper, however I believe most of his books on that subject has been written in collaboration with someone else. That doesn’t mean he can’t hack it, it just means that he realises that two people can often produce results that one can’t, and the respect with which his books are held show this.

I think this was my real disappointment with Neils' book. There is no doubt that he had produced some first class research, both in information and photographs and I clearly stated this in my review, but instead of getting another pair of eyes to look it over and knock it into shape he tackled it himself and I just don’t believe he had the experience or the ability to do that. Here was a chance to produce the definitive book on this case. Do you know what that means? It means that in 20 or 50 or a 100 years’ time if anyone wanted to find the seminal work on the Abertillery murders, his would have been the book chosen. He literally would have gone down in history.
                What I fear happening is that someone will come along and use all Neils’ hard work to produce such a book.

As for the suggestion that I was interested in co-authoring myself, that is completely untrue. I am presently working on a novel, have two further nonfiction books to write and am busy preparing talks and lectures. When Sutton asked me to write another book for them this year, I looked at what they were offering and had to turn it down as the terms were not good enough to make me put what I am doing on hold. I’m afraid my time is pretty well taken up for the next four to five years.

My review was written without malice or jealousy, but as a sincere and honest opinion of another authors work. I have not seen anything to make me change that opinion.

Comment

• Bob Hinton's unjust criticism

"There is no one blinder than those who do not wish to see."-Not Shakespeare. I rest my case.
                  I wish Bob Hinton and everyone else all the best. Neil.

Comment

• 'There are none so blind as those who do not wish to see'

Attributed to Englishman, John Heywood 1546
                    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Suzi

No thank you Suzi. Thanks for the post but I don't wish to see your African curiousities. I'm not that curious. Best wishes. Neil.

Comment

• What book was published that first contained an account of the case? I know Colin Wilson's A Casebook of Murder had it in 1969.

Who, like me, remembers the case live?

How many serious suspects do we have left, about seven? Archibald is the only one I know of who's been conclusively eliminated.
                        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I was too young at the time... however, relatives of mine live local to the murder sites (as do I). One relative was pulled in for questioning at the time of the murders. One girl had already been found near to the street in which he lived and another was found very close to his place of work. His alibis satisfied the interrogation team and he was allowed to go.
                          If I find out any more information I'll post it up in due course.

Comment

• Oh dear.

Originally posted by Neil Milkins View Post
                            "There is no one blinder than those who do not wish to see."-Not Shakespeare. I rest my case.

I think the mangling of an extremely well known quote by Mr Milkins does indeed rest the case as to his writing skills.

Comment

• Every Mother's Nightmare-Abertillery in Mourning

There is none blinder than than those wot don't wanna see. (not Shakespeare) My first book has been or still is on sale at Waterstones and WH Smith's nationwide - Murder One, Charing Cross - Rowlands, Blackwood - Thoughts - Oakdale Newsagents - Camelot, Abergavenny and Tredegar - Simon Thomsett - Brynmawr records and cards - Six Bells GPO - Nantyglo GPO - Newbridge Trading Centre - Abertillery GPO - Blaina GPO - Pennine Books - Cwmtillery GPO - Abercarn GPO - Cwmcarn GPO - Ted's News, Abertillery - West End GPO - Abertillery Museum - Marshall's Newsagents, Blackwood - Abertillery Library - Bookends, Newport - Valley News, Bargoed - Browning Books, Blaenavon - Dollery, Gloucester - Old Bakehouse - Bertrams - Gardners - Caerphilly Libraries Cwm GPO - Cowbridge Bookshop.
                              not bad for a book that Bob Hinton predicted would sink without trace and one that sold only because of the quality of the paper that it was printed on. ALL profits from the book which amounted to many thousands of pounds have already been donated to charity. I will not be replying to any more posts on this forum regarding this matter. I will though in the near future be posting news about my new book and some startling information about Bob Hinton and his REAL reasons for his poisonous comments abot my book. Regards. Neil Milkins.

Comment

• P.S. In 18 months I have not seen one of my books sold anywhere for less than £10-95. Because Bob's books, especially his appalling Jack the Ripper books can now be picked up for pennies, this doesn't denote a bargain. It shows what real value they are. It will be proved shortly that Bob has thrown the pin but the grenade is still in his trousers pocket. He is the weakest link! - Goodbye! Neil.

Comment

Working...
                                X