No announcement yet.

Madeleine McCann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfortunately it was a very short article and I didn't keep the paper so the above is from memory, though sometimes the old remembery part work sort of OK.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
      It was in UK.

She went down the shop leaving the child [age not given in article I read] at home. On her way home she had an accident [article implied drink driving but did not state it outright] was taken to hospital and child found at home alone, she was charged!!
      Well, cripes, if that had happened in the US, she would have lost custody of the child while she went to mandatory rehab, if she'd been caught driving drunk with her child in the car-- and that's true even if she hadn't gotten in an accident (at least in California-- Google "Paula Poundstone"). Maybe in Appalachia you could sleep it off in the back and let the kid drive.

The age of the child is quite relevant, I agree. I wonder if Belgian citizens would have been arrested, and the McCanns weren't, to avoid an international incident, because they had another child, who would have got back to England parentless, or been put into a foreign foster care system in order to be able to visit the parents.

Comment

• No the child wasn't in the car it was at home alone.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• BTW Madelaine went missing in Portugal. Not Belgium.
          G U T

Comment

• Here's a link to the Mirror's account.
            G U T

Comment

• I'll Try again

Gareth Morgan made the shocking claim while acting for a drink-driving mum who left her five-year-old son, who has Asperger syndrome, home alone at night

The child was 5 with Aspergers!!
              G U T

Comment

• Drip Feed

In the last few days (cant remember name of uk paper) there was a bit on staff at the complex having keys and said to have stole phones and credit cards and left no sign of break in.
                Although not sure of the informant I find this feed interesting. What use has this information? If the burglars stole mobile phones one wonders why they would use their own phones when commiting burglarys? Or is that the point?

I agree Little Madeleines case will stand out as Trial by Media along with Diana and Jack. so addictive....
                As to whether publishing should be tapered off, I think once people are hooked on it , its too late. It only stops when it is solved.
                I like our UK police and think they may crack it....

Pat.....................................

Comment

• Also a report here that UK police are claimed to be saying an arrest is iminent, we'll wait and see...
                  G U T

Comment

• Arrest Iminent.

I cant believe this information is coming from the police. I have noticed one paper appears to have informants connected to the Mccann family. A lot of info re the burglars appear to be coming from that direction. Why would they want to hinder the police enquiry? I might be wrong though, its just I dont think the papers are making this story up. I cant find who first leaked it does anyone know?

Pat........................

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      I cant believe this information is coming from the police. I have noticed one paper appears to have informants connected to the Mccann family. A lot of info re the burglars appear to be coming from that direction. Why would they want to hinder the police enquiry? I might be wrong though, its just I dont think the papers are making this story up. I cant find who first leaked it does anyone know?

Pat........................
                      I can think of a number of reasons why this information may be leaked. The McCanns playing a PR game for one. The more stories about "suspects" they can bring to the public attention the less public suspicion on them. It may also be from the police themselves. They have to be seen to be doing something. It makes them look good. Finally, I may be overly cynical. I bet if I were a cop I'd prefer to be poncing around the Algarve looking to solve a high profile crime instead of arresting junkies in Tower Hamlets on a cold winter night.

Comment

• I suspect, only suspect mind you, that it is the police, they are under a lot of pressure.
                        G U T

Comment

• Don't forget that in 1888, police were not supposed to talk to the press whilst under similar pressure, yet there appear to have been plenty of leaks anyway.
                          G U T

Comment

• And never underestimate the ability of the press to get a story.
                            G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Spring View Post
                              Yes but the child is missing because of their negligence.

I have certainly never left my two children alone.

You don't do it.

cheers

Nick

Really?

Well I can categorically tell you that in the Gorbals this was not only the norm it was necessary.
                              Times have changed you may say? Correct. But those kids back then who were left on their own all day (and also had to look after their bothers/sisters) are now having kids of their own. I'm not saying the McCanns are in this situation, I think it's clear they never were but I find it disgustingly offensive when middle class people say "they left their kids alone, shoot them" sort of thing. You do as you're taught and that's all I'm saying.

I was left alone a a child a number of times. My Dad was lucky enough to work sometimes and my Mum had to go out and do things to provide for us so that we survived, so when any one of you makes a comment like "how dare you leave a chile alone" it really, really riles me up. I know the McCanns are not part of it but trust me, there is another world out there (in Britain) that most of you have no clue about and really *really* need to educate yourselves about before you jump on your horses and pass comment.
                              Last edited by Sand87; 06-26-2014, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sand87 View Post
                                Really?

Well I can categorically tell you that in the Gorbals this was not only the norm it was necessary.
                                Times have changed you may say? Correct. But those kids back then who were left on their own all day (and also had to look after their bothers/sisters) are now having kids of their own. I'm not saying the McCanns are in this situation, I think it's clear they never were but I find it disgustingly offensive when middle class people say "they left their kids alone, shoot them" sort of thing. You do as you're taught and that's all I'm saying.

I was left alone a a child a number of times. My Dad was lucky enough to work sometimes and my Mum had to go out and do things to provide for us so that we survived, so when any one of you makes a comment like "how dare you leave a chile alone" it really, really riles me up. I know the McCanns are not part of it but trust me, there is another world out there (in Britain) that most of you have no clue about and really *really* need to educate yourselves about before you jump on your horses and pass comment.
                                The McCanns were/are a two income family holidaying in the Algave who decided to leave their three young children alone whilst they went to a restaurant. They cannot plead fiscal necessity or indeed any other form of necessity as a reason for that course of action. They can of course say that this was the normal behaviour for their peer group, as this is what the other members of their party did.

Surely we can comment on that.

Comment

Working...
                                X