Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Sinking of the RMS Titanic and other ships.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by louisa View Post
    Here's something interesting....a virtual tour of the Titanic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEpQmpg5-Iw
    Excellent! thanks for that! just spent hours running around only to dive over the bow again!! LOL xx
    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• A query

I've been aware for many years that in my local churchyard there was a tombstone dedicated to the Livesey family, including a young girl buried there born in 1912 and named Mabel Audrey Carpathia Titanic Livesey.
      I always assumed that Mabel was born after the sinking of the Titanic in April 1912 and that is why she was given those two specific names.

Recently I have looked further at Mabel and discovered (mainly from her family's research posted on the internet) that she was born in March 1912.
      This made the hairs on my neck stand on end, but then the sensible side of me thinks there must be an explanation why a parent would pick these two names in particular? The Carpathia and Titanic weren't from the same shipping line, but does anyone know of an explanation why someone might link and choose these two names for their child pre April 1912? Thanks

Comment

• Suzi, what did your grandad do with his other 7 lives!?

Debs, the birth wasn't registered till Q2, so perhaps they were just a tad long in registering the birth, by which time the Titanic tragedy occurred and suggested the additional names. Bit of a gruesome choice, though.

Comment

• but does anyone know of an explanation why someone might link and choose these two names for their child pre April 1912?
          Hi Debs

Born when in March 1912 and registered/christened exactly when? Even today, registration of a birth has only to be made within 42 days of that birth...

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Ancestry deaths show 8 people dying with "Titanic" among their names, and 2with "Carpathia." Nearly all of these were born 1912. There must have been a lot more over the years, masked by middle initial 'T' or 'C'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
              Debs, the birth wasn't registered till Q2, so perhaps they were just a tad long in registering the birth, by which time the Titanic tragedy occurred and suggested the additional names. Bit of a gruesome choice, though.
              Ancestry family trees (several of them) give her birthdate
              as March 12th but as Robert says, her birth was registered
              in the next quarter.

Her burial record:

third from the bottom

It looks as though the "Carpathia Titanic" was an
              afterthought, but her birth was registered with these
              names included.

Her father was William Livesey, a woolen manufacturer
              manager, who left a sizable estate when he died, over £26K.
              Her mother was Elizabeth Haigh.

I couldn't find any passenger or crew member under the
              names of Livesey or Haigh. So maybe she was named
              Mabel Aubrey Carpathia Titanic Livesey because she
              was born a month before to the day of the sinking?

None of the Ancestry family trees have an explanation.

Comment

• Thanks Robert, Liv, Dave,
                Yes, that of course is the very sensible answer!-that the names were added at the registration of the birth in April, after the sinking of the Titanic.
                Thanks very much...I can sleep at night again now.

We also had a local mill 'Titanic Mills' built in 1911. It was suggested it was named Titanic for its size or because it was built in the same year but it may have been just named after the disaster as Titanic turned out not to be its original name. (Yes, we name mills in Yorkshire)

Comment

• Hi Suzi, that's a cool story!

Hi Debra, your story creeped me out! Glad others came up with some good suggestions. I guess people have always given weird names to their children based upon what's popular at the moment...

Last year in the wake of the popular revolution there were babies in Egypt given the names "Facebook" and "Like".
                  (True, honest.)

Here's an article about dining on the Titanic and about modern restaurants who recreate the experience- one includes an actual bottle of 1907 champagne hauled up from the wreck of Titanic!

Dining on the doomed ship Titanic was epic, and many people are recreating those feasts to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the ship's demise. First-class passengers feasted on oysters, foie gras, and other luxuries.

Cheers,
                  Archaic

Comment

• I've just looked at the photo in that link. You would have thought that at almost $2000 per head, the restaurant could have made the table itself look a little more authentic, instead of plain modern white candles plonked in the middle?

A silver bowl of flowers or a proper candelabra maybe?
                    This is simply my opinion

Comment

• Passengers have booked years in advance for a trip on the Balmoral which is recreating Titanic's ill fated voyage. Some have paid around £8,000 for the privilege. The food being served is similar to the Titanic's.

I couldn't help but notice something in this photo though. I'm fairly certain that the Titanic didn't have these tiny dining tables where the plates were partially over the edge of the table.

This is simply my opinion

Comment

• Human Remains From Titanic?

Hi everyone.

I posted this recently-released photo a couple of days ago on the thread for the new Rippercast devoted to Titanic, as it raised new questions in my mind regarding the possibility of human remains. I decided to re-post it here.

It appears to show where the corpse of a Titanic victim came to rest on the seabed. What puzzles me is that the dark mass beside the shoe appears to be the remains of something like a garment; possibly a long coat.

Shoes from Titanic have been perfectly preserved all these years because the leather is tanned. They don't biodegrade and appear to be unpalatable to sea life. I'm trying to figure out if this dark object could be a tanned leather coat, or possibly a heavily-treated oil-skin coat.

It actually reminds me of the ever-popular "waxed cotton" Australian Outback horseman's or drover's coats. They're made of heavily treated canvas sailcloth, are rather heavy, and repel water like crazy. They're traditionally made in the style of a 19th C. 'greatcoat' with multiple layers to provide extra insulation and help the rain to run off. (I have one myself for horseback riding, and it's stood up to years of abuse.) I attached a photo of one for those of you not familiar with them.

The object in the Titanic photo can't just be ordinary fabric or it would have disintegrated long ago at that depth. As my friend Celesta pointed out, part of it appears to be lying in folds.

> Does it look like a garment to the rest of you, or can anyone think of an alternative explanation?

>What other objects on the ship might give this appearance and have the physical properties required? Would there have been any specially-treated water-repellant waxed canvas sailcloth awnings or something of that nature?

I've particularly been wondering if any traces of forensic human remains could be preserved underneath the dark object, especially if they were embedded in the sand? (I don't mean large parts of a body, but perhaps something small like a tooth?)

This morning an interesting news story about this very photograph popped up on my phone:
                        "Titanic:Possible Human Remains Found In Shipwreck": http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1426660.html

I'm curious to hear the impressions of others.

Thanks and best regards,
                        Archaic
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Titanic Victim's Shoes & Pocket-watch, Memorial Service

Here's another article about the same photograph:

In the photo attached, a matched pair of shoes indicate the last resting place of a Titanic victim. If you look very closely just below the right-hand shoe you can see what appears to be a "coin" lying on the sand. I believe it's actually the passenger's gold pocket-watch. You can just make out its bail and winding crown at about the 1:00 position. (That's the loop at the top and the little dial you twist to wind it.) It would have fallen to to the seabed when the body and its clothing disintegrated.

I find little details like that the most poignant.

Best regards,
                          Archaic
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Archaic; 04-17-2012, 05:57 AM.

Comment

• Lady's Shoes and Haircomb

In this photo you can see a pair of ladies' shoes, and immediately above them, embedded upside-down in the sand, is a lady's tortoise-shell hair-comb.

Such hair-ornaments are quite fragile, but it appears to be in perfect condition.

Best regards,
                            Archaic
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Archaic; 04-17-2012, 06:15 AM.

Comment

• Ship's Awning & Support Cable?

I had an idea for other possible sources of weatherproofed canvas-like material on Titanic: I believe that the life-boats and various other of the ship's objects had fitted canvas covers.

The life-boat covers would have been quite large, probably larger than the dark object in the mystery photo, but the fabric does appear to be folded over on itself in layers, so it's hard to gauge its actual size.

I'm fascinated by the idea that the dark mass might really be a coat, but part of me suspects it's just too large.

If it's actually a piece of the ship's awning or a weatherproofed canvas cover for something on the ship, could that explain the long looped piece of metal wire or cable lying to the top left of it? Could it be an anchoring or support cable?

I've been trying to figure out what that could be since first seeing the photo.

I'd appreciate hearing the opinion of somebody who knows much more about the fittings aboard ships than I do!

Best regards,
                              Archaic
                              Last edited by Archaic; 04-17-2012, 08:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• It's hard to tell what that crenulated, black material is, but oil cloth of some type seems a reasonable idea. Also, the size of it is not easy to determine. I've seen mention of awnings in relation to the Marconi Wireless room but haven't found a picture yet.

This link has a clear picture of a lifeboat and it's oilskin cover, as well as the lashing associated with it. This tarp doesn't appear to be black, but neither has it been lying on the sea bed for 100 years.

The photo in post 403 appears to have a similar crenulated black material, under the wash basin. I'm not saying that's cloth but it does look similar.

Some of the illustrations I've been seeing of people on deck show men in coats and the coats are more voluminous than I would have imaged. Perhaps this is a coat or cloak of some type. Perhaps a type of poncho?
                                Last edited by Celesta; 04-17-2012, 08:02 PM.
                                "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Working...
                                X