Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Sinking of the RMS Titanic and other ships.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all,

Just thought that you might possibly find this one of some interest, I happened to stumble upon it while researching something quite unconnected with this thread.

Best wishes,
    Zodiac.
    And thus I clothe my naked villainy
    With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
    And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

Comment

• An interesting link.

However I don't think I would describe it as an 'interesting feature for passing cruise ships' (can't remember the exact words). I'd describe it as a blot on an otherwise rather beautiful landscape.

It should be removed.
      This is simply my opinion

Comment

• Originally posted by louisa View Post
        An interesting link.

However I don't think I would describe it as an 'interesting feature for passing cruise ships' (can't remember the exact words). I'd describe it as a blot on an otherwise rather beautiful landscape.

It should be removed.
        Interesting feature for passing cruise ships? More like a not so subtle threat about the dangers of sea travel, serving as a warning to passengers that this too could be your fate. If I saw that on a cruise I would get out and swim.
        The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

• Louisa & Errata:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

That's probably why there will never be a Titanic II - who's going to be game enough to sail on the maiden voyage of a ship with that name!?

Despite all the advances in technology, ships still sink. I watched a docco not long ago about a ship which sank in rough seas in the 90's, the Estonia. Anyone remember that?

Cheers,
          Adam.

Comment

• I prefer the expression 'Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder'

Comment

• Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
              Louisa & Errata:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

Cheers,
              Adam.
              I think beauty is much a function of context. I think those plasticized humans with exploded systems, Body Worlds are really beautiful when I go see them at the museum. If I found one in my closet, not so beautiful.

From the shore I think I would find it very fascinating. If I were on a cruise ship, somehow, it like being wheeled into surgery and on the way passing the dead guy coming out of surgery. Makes you rethink your options.

Comment

• "I think those plasticized humans with exploded systems, Body Worlds are really beautiful when I go see them at the museum"

Whaaaat?

As for that shipwreck I think it's probably stayed where it is because the government don't want to spend money removing it. They're calling it 'a tourist attraction' instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by louisa View Post
                  "I think those plasticized humans with exploded systems, Body Worlds are really beautiful when I go see them at the museum"

Whaaaat?
                  weird yes, but beautiful. look em up.

Comment

• Louisa:

Love that expression!

And I agree with you that in some cases, governments will dribble on about the historic and tourist value of certain landmarks which are, in fact, rubbish. Happens all the time.

Errata:

There's a shipwreck in the mouth of a river nearby to me, where cruise ships pass to and fro every single day - not much of a shipwreck, I confess (a small cargo vessel which snapped its moorings at its port downriver during a vicious storm 70 or 80 years ago and ended up crashing onto the rocks upstream and destroying itself, and is only visible at low tide) but a shipwreck just the same.

Cheers,
                    Adam.

Comment

Errata:

There's a shipwreck in the mouth of a river nearby to me, where cruise ships pass to and fro every single day - not much of a shipwreck, I confess (a small cargo vessel which snapped its moorings at its port downriver during a vicious storm 70 or 80 years ago and ended up crashing onto the rocks upstream and destroying itself, and is only visible at low tide) but a shipwreck just the same.

Cheers,
                      Adam.
                      Is there a "coast guard" around the bend shaking down the cruise liners for protection money, so that kind of "accident" won't happen to them?

Menacing I tell you.

Comment

• Errata:

Haha, well I don't think there is, believe it or not, but it would hardly be surprising!

Meanwhile, in other shipping news, looks as if we're set for another showdown between the Japanese whaling ships and the anti-whaling protestors in the not too distant future....

The modern version of Bismarck VS Hood?

Cheers,
                        Adam.

Comment

• I'm with the protestors on this.

Comment

The modern version of Bismarck VS Hood?
                            Hi Adam,

Closer to your part of the world isn't it mate, so maybe it should be the Kormoran vs the Sydney? Either way, it looks like we'd both be on the wrong end of those deals! I hope that the whales have more luck!

Hope that all is well with you,

Best wishes,
                            Zodiac.
                            And thus I clothe my naked villainy
                            With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
                            And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

Comment

• Hi Zodiac and Louisa,

Agree with you both, with the protestors on this one. You can't just keep killing a species and expect it to survive. Look what happened to the Tasmanian Tiger within living memory of some of our older citizens, they were hunted for their skins, had bounties on their head, etc as well until they eventually became extinct altogether - or supposedly so, though rumours persist that they are still around - and now everybody wishes they were still here!

Last year the Sea Shepherd and her protestors made the whaling year a completely miserable and unviable one for the Japanese, here's hoping they can do the same again!

Cheers,
                              Adam.

Comment

• What about the Battle of Jutland 1916.

The Germans knocked out 3 British battle cruisers in minutes. 3,000 men lost. Was unthinkable at the time when the British enjoyed dominance of the seas. Happened because British crews ignored saftey precuations in an attempt to fire off amunition as quickly as possible. Cutting corners meant the ships had a ship load of cordite just waiting to be set off, and it was on contact with an enemy hit.

On the plus side, the British fleet at Scapa Flow, the main body of the British fleet, was on the move and the German fleet had been sucked out of its base at Hamburg, and was promptly mauled before limping back to Germany where it stayed for the remainder of the war and was unable to prevent the British from bloackading Germany and her imports.

It's a strange thing with propaganda, mastered by the British. As soon as the Germans marched into Belguim, the British had the Americans believe they were murdering women and children; which they weren't. The Germans didn't think to inform the Americans (who by the way had a stronng anti-British presence in their country) that the British were deliberately starving their people, which of course was true.

Gotta be crafty in this game.

Comment

Working...
                                X