Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Move to Murder: Who Killed Julia Wallace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• . If the mack was a shield rather than worn then Wallace would be a complete FOOL to use his own jacket. It also seems implausible. The splatter suggests (apparently) that it was actually worn by the attacker. That's just what forensics suggested. They're no longer alive to quiz then further on this sadly, but that was the suggestion
    But this is why I believe that Wallace pushed the mackintosh underneath Julia’s body. He believe that by bunching it up and then placing it beneath her body, where there was also blood that had come from the head wounds, that the blood spatter would become smeared so as to not resemble blood spatter. He was probably just hoping that the police would decide that Julia was just carrying the coat when the attacker struck.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Parry about the call alibi, Wallace about many things (too many to list), Mr. Johnston about Wallace coming to him at quarter to nine and having to "force the back door open" to gain entry, Mrs. Johnston and Wallace unable to decide which of them said "whatever have they used?", Mr. Johnston's incredible claim of not knowing Julia's name, Mrs. Johnston saying Wallace knocking on the back door at night was usual so they didn't pay any attention to it...

Why do all of these people fudge their stories or make false statements?
      I just think that people can get things mistaken especially under a difficult situation. This is why I am very wary of saying that someone actually lied when there could be an innocent explanation. You’re not a conspiracy theorist WWH so I’m certainly not accusing you of anything but I just make the point that as you know CT’s feed on this kind of thing so I think that we have to be cautious and think “is there an alternative, less sinister, explanation? It still might be one that we don’t accept though.for eg.

Johnston saying that Wallace had to force the back door - maybe with Wallace fumbling around? He may have even appeared to have his shoulder to the door as he was ‘trying’ to open it and this led Johnston to think that he’d shouldered it to get it open.

Mr Johnston’s claim of not knowing Julia’s name - I think that’s perfectly believable in more formal times. How much opportunity would he have had of talking to Julia? He was at work all day. Recall that the postcard was signed J. Wallace. If they knew each other better then she would surely have written Julia?

Mrs Johnston saying the Wallace knocking on the back door was normal - I just think that she was saying that it was a normal knock as opposed to a loud, frantic one and so it set off no alarm bells for them.

Im not saying that your interpretations are wrong. Just that there can often be simple explanations. Especially when things are relayed by word of mouth under trying or stressful circumstances.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

What do you make of her stomach contents? Did Wallace anticipate that factor and lie about when Julia had eaten?
        Im not at home at the moment WWH and have no books with me (I really should take at least one Wallace book with me when I go anywhere) so you will have to refresh my memory on that point as I can’t recall any controversy over when or what’s Julia had eaten. They’d eaten scones as far as I can recall?
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Im not at home at the moment WWH and have no books with me (I really should take at least one Wallace book with me when I go anywhere) so you will have to refresh my memory on that point as I can’t recall any controversy over when or what’s Julia had eaten. They’d eaten scones as far as I can recall?
          Florence certainly knew Julia's name, so John should have known I would think after a decade especially - I thought they could hear so much through the walls haha. And if Johnston originally believed Wallace forced the door open, what would make him change his mind? Why was he visiting a relative unexpectedly at 9PM with a 4AM waking job? If he was moving in why not stay the night, it's closer to John's workplace.

As for the stomach contents it was too digested if she had eaten when Wallace claimed. It's in Gannon's book.

I'm not sure who CT is?

Personally I'd like to see the case files to see if other neighbors corroborate things. 33 and 27 Wolverton specifically.

If William didn't kill her himself (an opinion many people have) then a neighbor is in the perfect position to escape unseen. Blackmailing someone over burglary is also a stronger form of blackmail than what Gannon proposed...

Comment

• Conspiracy theory/theorist.

Comment

• Originally posted by WallaceWackedHer View Post

Florence certainly knew Julia's name, so John should have known I would think after a decade especially - I thought they could hear so much through the walls haha.

I just don’t think that we can say that WWH. Remember, the postcard was signed J.Wallace. Not Julia.

And if Johnston originally believed Wallace forced the door open, what would make him change his mind? Why was he visiting a relative unexpectedly at 9PM with a 4AM waking job? If he was moving in why not stay the night, it's closer to John's workplace.

What if Johnston had told his bosses that he wouldn’t be in the next day as he was moving house? He may have booked this day off weeksin advance.

As for the stomach contents it was too digested if she had eaten when Wallace claimed. It's in Gannon's book.

I can’t really see how Wallace could have benefitted from lying about when Julia had eaten.

I'm not sure who CT is?

Sorry I was just too lazy to type Conspiracy theorist.

Personally I'd like to see the case files to see if other neighbors corroborate things. 33 and 27 Wolverton specifically.

If William didn't kill her himself (an opinion many people have) then a neighbor is in the perfect position to escape unseen. Blackmailing someone over burglary is also a stronger form of blackmail than what Gannon proposed...

But we don’t have a thing to connect Johnston to any burglaries and even if we did how could Wallace have found out? The Johnston’s would hardly have been having conversations about burglaries at the top of their voices forthe Wallace’s to hear through the wall.
              It would be good if someone could produce a full research file for the case. No opinions or theories just interviews, testimonies, maps, photos etc
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

It would be good if someone could produce a full research file for the case. No opinions or theories just interviews, testimonies, maps, photos etc
                I agree completely, it is a shame such a resource is not available, and that all the evidence and statements are spread out over like 100 books.

Also if he did not lie about when she ate then she couldn't have been killed by Wallace. That is the assertion of Gannon anyway:

According to Julia’s autopsy report, her stomach contained ‘about four ounces of semi-fluid food consisting of currants, raisins and unmasticated lumps of carbohydrate’. According to Wallace’s statement, this was the remains of the meal (tea and scones) he and Julia had had at 6 p.m. If this is so, this could indicate that Julia may have been murdered sometime between 7.30 and 8.30 p.m. (an hour and a half to two and a half hours after her meal), not between 6.30 and 6.45 p.m. If Julia had been murdered between the latter times, the food in her stomach would not have been as broken down by digestive fluids, as the process would have been halted by her death.

Gannon, John. The Killing of Julia Wallace . Amberley Publishing. Kindle Edition.
                If he knew stomach contents are checked during autopsy, he may have lied about when she ate so the person conducting the autopsy would come to the same conclusion as Gannon... But if this is true (that Wallace couldn't have killed Julia himself) then who was in a better position to get away unseen than someone on the odd numbered side of Wolverton Street or Richmond Park? FYI I think I mentioned this already - but some very early author (or something) named a suspect "Harris" - which Rod said he believes means Parry. However, there was a Harris living at 79 Richmond Park. I may be wrong on that, because it was in the obituaries some time after the event so he may have moved in. If he was definitely living there at the time though, it might be something to look into... Although I'd still think the Johnstons were perfectly placed, and it has to be said that it is odd they moved out the next day and that Johnston contradicted his statements etc. etc.

Also the disappearance and re-emergence of the cat I think about... Most cases do have a few coincidences so that could be one of them, but I'm not sure and I do tend to try and eliminate elements of coincidence and luck when reasonable. If it was summer it would be far more likely, but in harsh climates cats don't tend to stay away from home. I think it'd be a good way to ensure entry - possibly even for someone Julia didn't know well/at all. Or could Wallace have suspected the cat might make noise if it sensed danger and kept it out of the home for that reason? I am not sure.

It still doesn't make much sense for the Johnstons to visit Phyllis the day before moving in even if John had taken the day off work. If they had done so, I'd expect them to take some of the luggage they claimed they'd already packed with them to save on the load they'd need to take the following day (just as one example)? Did any neighbors know about this supposedly planned move? Solo Wallace probably didn't, or he'd have chosen a different day to kill his wife (Mr. and Mrs. Johnston gone from the home = less people to potentially hear sounds or see things from their window).

And the thing about the postcard is, if Florence didn't know Julia's name she would have signed it Mrs. Wallace I should expect. Also I don't tend to believe people who aren't on a first name basis would send each other postcards about how much fun they're having on vacation. If they were really as distant as claimed, then why are they trading postcards etc?

All Anfield housebreakings ceased after Julia's murder. This could either point towards the Johnstons, or just the burglar(s) being terrified to burgle homes in that area in case they are accused of killing Julia.
                Last edited by WallaceWackedHer; 03-09-2019, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• All Anfield Burglaries ceased , so either the Johnstones were involved ,or the burglars got scared in case they came into the frame. ORRR?........

Comment

• Originally posted by moste View Post
                    All Anfield Burglaries ceased , so either the Johnstones were involved ,or the burglars got scared in case they came into the frame. ORRR?........
                    There are a few other possibilities I guess, like the unknown burglars moving/dying or being jailed for unrelated crimes.

There's also the tiny outlier chance that Wallace and/or Julia were the burglars lmfao

Comment

• On the contents of Julia’s stomach. I recalled a conversation that I had with Antony a while ago and he’d reminded me of Professor Keith Simpson who was one of the countries most eminent Forensic Pathologists. He’d placed the time of Julia’s death between 6.00 and 8.00. Stomach contents were not the most accurate way of determining time of death; at least not in 1931.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by WallaceWackedHer View Post

There are a few other possibilities I guess, like the unknown burglars moving/dying or being jailed for unrelated crimes.

There's also the tiny outlier chance that Wallace and/or Julia were the burglars lmfao
                        Or the one that pokes you in the eye, Th Anfield burglar was the killer!

Comment

• Originally posted by moste View Post

Or the one that pokes you in the eye, Th Anfield burglar was the killer!
                          Yeah of course but the only issue there is the silence paired with Julia being in the parlor. A burglar entering the home, he'd have to get quite lucky to walk into the parlor and topple Julia before she can react unless she was dozing off in the chair, and also it was suggested by forensics that the mack was worn by the attacker based on the blood patterns upon it. If that's true, then the burglar would've put on the jacket before going into the parlor even. I guess the blood spray up the wall would eliminate the safer alternative that it was thrown over her head.

If someone had entered under false pretenses in an attempt to stealthily burglarize the place, he would have been caught stealing in the kitchen, and Julia would have been struck down there, or in the hallway/back kitchen/yard (she would've gone for an exit), and there would also have been a lot of commotion - very likely a struggle. These two factors, along with the total abscence of blood on door knobs etc, are the hardest to overcome in ANY burglary situation though... Plus you have to find a way to naturally place a lone Julia in the parlor which is extremely difficult. Unless the guy went in with the intention of killing Julia first...
                          Last edited by WallaceWackedHer; 03-10-2019, 08:02 PM.

Comment

• And of course the last person she’d have expected to have attacked her in the Parlour would have been.....
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

And of course the last person she’d have expected to have attacked her in the Parlour would have been.....
                              The parish priest of the Holy Trinity Church!

Comment

And of course the last person she’d have expected to have attacked her in the Parlour would have been.....
                                Honestly, anyone she'd have admitted into the home...

I would like to know how reliable the forensic suggestion was, that the jacket was worn. That's a pretty important detail I think.

Putting it around her shoulders is just WEIRD. Like okay she may have done that to answer the door and admit the person... But once she's done that, why would she CONTINUE wearing it like that? Because the parlor is cold? It's a bit of a peculiar item to wear as a scarf. If she was that cold wouldn't it have been better to put on one of her own jackets? I doubt a mack feels very comfortable to wear as a scarf lol.

Was it ever confirmed that Wallace DID post a letter by the way? Because his route to the tram stop on the night of the chess club is very strange. He goes far out of his way, rather than taking the quickest route that goes down Pendennis etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X