Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Move to Murder: Who Killed Julia Wallace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As for connecting The Anfield Housebreaker I still can’t get past the phone call. This makes the killing of Julia Wallace very different for me. Granted a killer might have gotten in using a skeleton key but there’s much against the idea of a burglar..

If someone got in that way and Julia came across him surely she would have screamed out.
    The use of the call to get William out of the house.
    The poor haul of cash and the lack of effort to find other cash or valuables.
    Putting the cash box back onto the shelf.
    The lack of blood outside the Parlour.
    The lights being turned off.

Unless we go for the PD James idea (which I consider ludicrous) I can’t personally connect the AH to the crime.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
      As for connecting The Anfield Housebreaker I still can’t get past the phone call. This makes the killing of Julia Wallace very different for me. Granted a killer might have gotten in using a skeleton key but there’s much against the idea of a burglar..

If someone got in that way and Julia came across him surely she would have screamed out.

Unless we go for the PD James idea (which I consider ludicrous) I can’t personally connect the AH to the crime.
      ‘Double post - sorry
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I find it difficult to believe that Parry would have been so monumentally stupid as to give a false alibi that he would have known would have been almost immediately disproven.
        Well... You'd think so... But countless other guilty people have so there's that...

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

This is a good point WWH and one that I’ve made myself. As Parkes had told Parry that he didn’t trust him and as the Atkinson’s had caught him looking through a cupboard that contained cash Parry might have thought of a way of getting a bit of petty revenge. Confident of his alibi and the fact that he had no blood on him he led Parkes into believe him a murderer. The police dismiss Parkes because they know of Parry’s alibi and so Parkes gets labelled as a bit of a fantasist and waster of police time.
        I don't think there is any way Parry would imply he had any involvement in a murder. Even if he had a perfect alibi for the murder (which can realistically be questioned as to its genuinity - given that his parents may have coerced it, like they tried to have him smuggled away)... Like even so, just any suggestion he was involved in any way whatsoever could have got him in SERIOUS, SERIOUS trouble.

Given that Parkes apparently initially demanded money to give up the information, he might either be lying or exaggerating. I think I said as an example, Parry HAD turned up to have his car washed inside and out, and maybe Parkes found it (and perhaps even his behavior) a bit peculiar and added on the extra details. Maybe there was even a glove, but it was clean and Parry snatched it quickly which he again found suspicious. I CANNOT imagine Parry randomly volunteering that he dropped the murder weapon down a drain. NO WAY can I imagine that happening lmfao, so I strongly suspect Parkes is embezzling the truth.

Like really, imagine someone finds a blood-soaked glove in your car linking you to a murder then you're randomly like "oh yeah I killed someone, OH and by the way, the weapon was dropped down a drain on ___ road".

They could also be explained as the efforts of a fallible human being undertaking an extremely stressful action. No matter how thorough someone plans something errors will occur (or the police would never catch anyone) Also not every eventuality can be accounted for (like Close turning up late for eg) and these things can cause panic and error.
        Of course, absolutely... Typically when someone on trial is going back on statements and getting "confused" with details etc., you'll find they're pretty much always guilty lol. But at the same time, given that diary entry (fumbled author name and book date), supposed bad chess skills, and lack of promotion despite 16 years of loyal work, it does make me wonder if he really was a foolish man/man with frequent memory lapses. He recently had a growth removed - I assume it wasn't from his brain?

Now "Wallace is innocent" supporters would probably be able to chime in here with helpful information on this factor. At the moment we're basically an echo chamber as most of us tend to lean on Wallace either being solely guilty, or involved in some way/having knowledge of what was going to happen that night. I think he was smart, but not THAT smart if you know what I mean. This entire scheme is like, Moriarty level of cunning, I don't think he was a genius. Maybe a slightly smart man who tried to pose himself as an intellectual by reading Marcus Aurelius books etc.

We NEED some recourse from the other side but they (Antony and Rod) have essentially vanished and it sucks when working towards a solution.

I wouldn’t say that you’re wrong WWH as we could all be wrong on any issue. I genuinely believe that Wallace could have committed the crime using the mackintosh and possibly a pair of gloves. Either by using the mackintosh as a shield as he was kneeling next to Julia or by wearing it (possibly backwards) Also I’m never to worried about suggesting that Wallace might have had a bit of good fortune with the random blood spatter by not getting any on any parts of his body (like his head) that were exposed.

Wallace would have had to have cleaned up if he’d gotten blood on him because he had to speak to tram conductors etc.
        Only an intentional murderer would have used protection.
        There was no blood traces on the gas jets, the doors, the door handles, the carpets, the wallpaper or indeed anywhere outside the Parlour. A random, spur-of-the-moment killer would have had no need of such caution especially considering the fact that the lights were off.

Therefore the fact that there was no blood outside of the Parlour points very heavily towards Wallace imo.
        I don't feel a mackintosh is enough protection. He had to be SPOTLESS. It would have covered a large portion of his body, and of course a glove and hat even more, but he would still have some exposure. If he had planned the murder in the way it is suggested (that he would get out of the house at a time which makes it nearly impossible he could have done it), then he couldn't have known in advance that he'd get "lucky" to not be drenched, so it was quite risky.

However he was a chemist. Were people at the time aware of benzidine testing? It's possible he could have washed and then poured some chemical down the drain that would render the benzidine test useless. But then Antony SAYS they didn't perform the test on the drains? So I'm not sure.

If he washed, the timing is even tighter of course. But I will come back to this on another point you made.

Isnt this because he wasn’t making his presence known on the journey back? On the way back he was just another passenger. On the way there he was that passenger who kept pestering conductors and an inspector for directions which gave them cause to remember him.
        It's more than that. He didn't make his presence known on the FIRST tram he "apparently" boarded. Not just the way back.

And even if he didn't, did people not have to pay fares? Wallace is a VERY distinctive looking man, his build, his face, his height. He certainly stands out a bit. You would think SOMEONE would recall seeing him, particularly anyone who took fares... And that brings me back to the point above on the timing. Did he have some way to get to Smithdown Lane much faster than he could have by tram? If so then it would make sense WHY he would choose to not make his presence known on the first tram he got on - since he never took it...

Even if he made his presence known on the first tram by saying "I need to go to MGE!", there could have been some OTHER event that would make someone recall him being on that tram. Like "accidentally" dropping his change etc. Anything that'd make him stick in someone's mind.

I think it would have made more sense should he have made his presence known on the FIRST tram if he took it. If he skipped it, the police in recreations would have to assume the potential fact that he arrived at the tram stop just as the tram arrived and assume a 0 minute wait time. Sorry if I'm sounding confusing lol, hopefully you see what I mean... But he could shave off time by hitching a ride to Smithdown.

As for connecting The Anfield Housebreaker I still can’t get past the phone call. This makes the killing of Julia Wallace very different for me. Granted a killer might have gotten in using a skeleton key but there’s much against the idea of a burglar..

Again, at least the bolded points were identical to the scene in #19 when it was burgled in December. And also sheets and pillows chucked around the room upstairs... Since there was no killing (hence no blood) or anyone in the home, the lack of blood out of the parlor and screaming is kinda moot for a comparison (though they are important points of course! Just not for comparing scenes), and I do not know if the lights were turned out. I should assume so, given the occupants were on vacation.

Julia would have screamed if confronted by someone threatening/a stranger to her yes, or at least caused some commotion. I COULD potentially see, if someone she knew and trusted came in, she may have been like "what the **** are you doing here?" without screaming then taken by surprise. And her being in the parlor suggests the admittance of a guest... But was there any other reason she may be in there? Comfier chairs to doze off on? The room WAS colder than the living kitchen apparently, but a fire was lit.

But yes, the scene at 29 Wolverton Street was either the work of the SAME PERSON who burgled 19 Wolverton Street. OR it was PURPOSEFULLY staged to look identical to #19 so as to throw off police.

---

Overall I am still of the opinion that neighbors, landlords, and cleaning ladies need to be examined very closely. Either as potential killers (many possible variations, hired by Wallace, hired by someone else to commit burglary, working alone) or as being involved in some way. In my mind "sneak burgling" as proposed by Rod and Antony is actually an impossible solution unless two people were in the home - one distracting Julia in the parlor while another came in the back door with a dupe key. And in a straight burglary, I expect the burglar must have gone into the parlor FIRST, rather than wrenching off doors etc.

I myself have been utterly COVERED in blood (I didn't kill/hurt anyone don't worry!) from head to toe. Blood was not tracked outside of the room where it got upon me, except when I carelessly touched walls and light handles etc. If I'd have been wearing gloves and taken them off, there would have been no blood tracked anywhere. It was on my face, body, arms - probably legs and feet, I don't know, but it was everywhere... It's a bit embarassing how it happened but it was when sleeping with someone, and the lights were off so we didn't realize, then the lights went on and HOLY ****. When I say there was a lot of blood I don't just mean there was a "lot of blood", I mean it literally looked like I'd dismembered someone and we were BOTH covered from head to toe in it. Something had torn and had bled profusely over a long period of time in the darkness with repeated aggravation...

I got most of it off with towels etc, but there was still some which had matted and I had to shower it off quite thoroughly at home. It's harder to clean yourself from blood than one might imagine.

But the idea of the perpetrator being covered then going on a tram journey totally clean, I don't know. I think the benzidine would catch transfer onto clothing worn over the top. It would take some time to get it all off thoroughly.

If the Johnstons were involved in some capacity with Wallace, then pretty much all "coincidences" are eliminated.

---

Again Johnston had to get up for work at 4AM, why is he visiting Phyllis at 9? Johnston had a dupe key. Johnston had a friend at 30 MGW. Johnston potentially had to support a family of 6 with potentially no other family member in work. Their involvement is possible and should certainly be considered carefully.

Johnston contradicted himself by telling the press Wallace had to force the back door open, then on trial said he opened it easily.
        Last edited by WallaceWackedHer; 02-27-2019, 07:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WallaceWackedHer View Post

Well... You'd think so... But countless other guilty people have so there's that...

I don't think there is any way Parry would imply he had any involvement in a murder. Even if he had a perfect alibi for the murder (which can realistically be questioned as to its genuinity - given that his parents may have coerced it, like they tried to have him smuggled away)... Like even so, just any suggestion he was involved in any way whatsoever could have got him in SERIOUS, SERIOUS trouble.

Given that Parkes apparently initially demanded money to give up the information, he might either be lying or exaggerating. I think I said as an example, Parry HAD turned up to have his car washed inside and out, and maybe Parkes found it (and perhaps even his behavior) a bit peculiar and added on the extra details. Maybe there was even a glove, but it was clean and Parry snatched it quickly which he again found suspicious. I CANNOT imagine Parry randomly volunteering that he dropped the murder weapon down a drain. NO WAY can I imagine that happening lmfao, so I strongly suspect Parkes is embezzling the truth.

Like really, imagine someone finds a blood-soaked glove in your car linking you to a murder then you're randomly like "oh yeah I killed someone, OH and by the way, the weapon was dropped down a drain on ___ road".

Of course, absolutely... Typically when someone on trial is going back on statements and getting "confused" with details etc., you'll find they're pretty much always guilty lol. But at the same time, given that diary entry (fumbled author name and book date), supposed bad chess skills, and lack of promotion despite 16 years of loyal work, it does make me wonder if he really was a foolish man/man with frequent memory lapses. He recently had a growth removed - I assume it wasn't from his brain?

Now "Wallace is innocent" supporters would probably be able to chime in here with helpful information on this factor. At the moment we're basically an echo chamber as most of us tend to lean on Wallace either being solely guilty, or involved in some way/having knowledge of what was going to happen that night. I think he was smart, but not THAT smart if you know what I mean. This entire scheme is like, Moriarty level of cunning, I don't think he was a genius. Maybe a slightly smart man who tried to pose himself as an intellectual by reading Marcus Aurelius books etc.

We NEED some recourse from the other side but they (Antony and Rod) have essentially vanished and it sucks when working towards a solution.

I don't feel a mackintosh is enough protection. He had to be SPOTLESS. It would have covered a large portion of his body, and of course a glove and hat even more, but he would still have some exposure. If he had planned the murder in the way it is suggested (that he would get out of the house at a time which makes it nearly impossible he could have done it), then he couldn't have known in advance that he'd get "lucky" to not be drenched, so it was quite risky.

However he was a chemist. Were people at the time aware of benzidine testing? It's possible he could have washed and then poured some chemical down the drain that would render the benzidine test useless. But then Antony SAYS they didn't perform the test on the drains? So I'm not sure.

If he washed, the timing is even tighter of course. But I will come back to this on another point you made.

It's more than that. He didn't make his presence known on the FIRST tram he "apparently" boarded. Not just the way back.

And even if he didn't, did people not have to pay fares? Wallace is a VERY distinctive looking man, his build, his face, his height. He certainly stands out a bit. You would think SOMEONE would recall seeing him, particularly anyone who took fares... And that brings me back to the point above on the timing. Did he have some way to get to Smithdown Lane much faster than he could have by tram? If so then it would make sense WHY he would choose to not make his presence known on the first tram he got on - since he never took it...

Even if he made his presence known on the first tram by saying "I need to go to MGE!", there could have been some OTHER event that would make someone recall him being on that tram. Like "accidentally" dropping his change etc. Anything that'd make him stick in someone's mind.

I think it would have made more sense should he have made his presence known on the FIRST tram if he took it. If he skipped it, the police in recreations would have to assume the potential fact that he arrived at the tram stop just as the tram arrived and assume a 0 minute wait time. Sorry if I'm sounding confusing lol, hopefully you see what I mean... But he could shave off time by hitching a ride to Smithdown.

Again, at least the bolded points were identical to the scene in #19 when it was burgled in December. And also sheets and pillows chucked around the room upstairs... Since there was no killing (hence no blood) or anyone in the home, the lack of blood out of the parlor and screaming is kinda moot for a comparison (though they are important points of course! Just not for comparing scenes), and I do not know if the lights were turned out. I should assume so, given the occupants were on vacation.

Julia would have screamed if confronted by someone threatening/a stranger to her yes, or at least caused some commotion. I COULD potentially see, if someone she knew and trusted came in, she may have been like "what the **** are you doing here?" without screaming then taken by surprise. And her being in the parlor suggests the admittance of a guest... But was there any other reason she may be in there? Comfier chairs to doze off on? The room WAS colder than the living kitchen apparently, but a fire was lit.

But yes, the scene at 29 Wolverton Street was either the work of the SAME PERSON who burgled 19 Wolverton Street. OR it was PURPOSEFULLY staged to look identical to #19 so as to throw off police.

---

Overall I am still of the opinion that neighbors, landlords, and cleaning ladies need to be examined very closely. Either as potential killers (many possible variations, hired by Wallace, hired by someone else to commit burglary, working alone) or as being involved in some way. In my mind "sneak burgling" as proposed by Rod and Antony is actually an impossible solution unless two people were in the home - one distracting Julia in the parlor while another came in the back door with a dupe key. And in a straight burglary, I expect the burglar must have gone into the parlor FIRST, rather than wrenching off doors etc.

I myself have been utterly COVERED in blood (I didn't kill/hurt anyone don't worry!) from head to toe. Blood was not tracked outside of the room where it got upon me, except when I carelessly touched walls and light handles etc. If I'd have been wearing gloves and taken them off, there would have been no blood tracked anywhere. It was on my face, body, arms - probably legs and feet, I don't know, but it was everywhere... It's a bit embarassing how it happened but it was when sleeping with someone, and the lights were off so we didn't realize, then the lights went on and HOLY ****. When I say there was a lot of blood I don't just mean there was a "lot of blood", I mean it literally looked like I'd dismembered someone and we were BOTH covered from head to toe in it. Something had torn and had bled profusely over a long period of time in the darkness with repeated aggravation...

I got most of it off with towels etc, but there was still some which had matted and I had to shower it off quite thoroughly at home. It's harder to clean yourself from blood than one might imagine.

But the idea of the perpetrator being covered then going on a tram journey totally clean, I don't know. I think the benzidine would catch transfer onto clothing worn over the top. It would take some time to get it all off thoroughly.

If the Johnstons were involved in some capacity with Wallace, then pretty much all "coincidences" are eliminated.

---

Again Johnston had to get up for work at 4AM, why is he visiting Phyllis at 9? Johnston had a dupe key. Johnston had a friend at 30 MGW. Johnston potentially had to support a family of 6 with potentially no other family member in work. Their involvement is possible and should certainly be considered carefully.

Johnston contradicted himself by telling the press Wallace had to force the back door open, then on trial said he opened it easily.
          Hi WHH

You are looking at a lot of evidence and information and have some interesting ideas about this case. However, as Herlock has mentioned, how do you explain the phone call if it was not Parry or Wallace involved?

Comment

• Originally posted by etenguy View Post

Hi WHH

You are looking at a lot of evidence and information and have some interesting ideas about this case. However, as Herlock has mentioned, how do you explain the phone call if it was not Parry or Wallace involved?
            Someone else asked me this... I think a lot of people have issue with it... But I wouldn't say 100% they had to be involved.

In my PERSONAL view, lots of people could know Wallace went to chess. Long-time neighbors, cleaning ladies, Amy definitely knew of course (as she specifically mentioned why he only went on mondays). He wasn't a mute, and though Julia was apparently rather reserved and shy, she was able to speak, and could have told someone this information in passing. Particularly a neighbor or the cleaning lady... Which may then have been exploited for unscrupulous purposes... I somewhat dispute that "nobody could have known" Wallace would probably have gone to chess", and that nobody like the cleaning lady/neighbors could know of his collection routine, but my mind can easily be changed through discussion... I DON'T really think someone would wait another day for a much shakier chance of there being a bigger payload, so I don't think that was the reason the perpetrator didn't commit the act on Monday.

I don't have a solid opinion on this particular matter you raised either, so some group debate could be really helpful here. Btw if the cat was part of the plan, it was taken 24 hours in advance. Goodman's phrasing seems to potentially imply Puss went missing at the time Wallace went to the chess club? Hard to tell the specifics, all the papers just say it had been missing for "24 hours at the time of the murder" or words to that effect...

---

I tried to see if anyone lived or worked near the Qualtrough butcher shop at 108 Country Road (although of course many people could have known of it so I'm not sure it's of any use, but I'll provide it anyway!).

These people/locations are:

Dr. Curwen's practice at 111 Priory Road.

Prudential agent Mr. Sutton, who R J Qualtrough is insured with (74 Queen's Drive).

Wallace's violin tutor Mr. Davis (Queen's Drive).

Detective Gold (95 Queen's Drive).

Caird's former business partner John William, who opened a shop at 114 Cherry Lane.

There was also a congregational church on Queen's Drive.

---

Walton and Kirkdale are the areas closest to that butcher shop, where it's sometimes suggested the name may have been taken from.
            Last edited by WallaceWackedHer; 02-27-2019, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• By the way the bolting of the back yard door is significant.

IS Julia negligent enough to leave it unbolted allowing someone to come in the back door? DID someone scale the back wall? Did Wallace ensure it was left unbolted? Did the perpetrator enter through the front door and leave through the back? What of the remote possibility that Julia DID follow Wallace down the entry and the killer slipped into the yard and into the home, then lie in wait to commit the terrible act on someone else's orders - I doubt it, but still?

The back yard door being unbolted upon Wallace's return and the front door on the latch, certainly shows that the intruder left through the back door.

In court, Wallace claimed Julia had bolted the back yard door, then said he isn't sure if she did. I think this matter is significant, as if it was unbolted it would be much easier for someone to come in the back door. But her presence in the parlor tends to indicate a guest, hence a more likely entry through the front... Or perhaps even Wallace letting an intruder in when he went home, letting them in through the back (to prevent any neighbors seeing it), or carelessly through the front door with him explaining to Julia that he was a guest etc.

I do doubt a number of those suggestions but it's best to raise ALL thoughts in case something you expect is meaningless hits someone else in a different way.

---

As for the suggestion of why wouldn't a potential burglar wait until both are out of the home... Well, if someone is totally broke and in desperate need of money, they don't have the luxury of waiting for the perfect opportunity, and have to create those opportunities on their own.
              Last edited by WallaceWackedHer; 02-27-2019, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Someone else asked me this... I think a lot of people have issue with it... But I wouldn't say 100% they had to be involved.

In my PERSONAL view, lots of people could know Wallace went to chess. Long-time neighbors, cleaning ladies, Amy definitely knew of course (as she specifically mentioned why he only went on mondays). He wasn't a mute, and though Julia was apparently rather reserved and shy, she was able to speak, and could have told someone this information in passing. Particularly a neighbor or the cleaning lady... Which may then have been exploited for unscrupulous purposes... I somewhat dispute that "nobody could have known" Wallace would probably have gone to chess", and that nobody like the cleaning lady/neighbors could know of his collection routine, but my mind can easily be changed through discussion... I DON'T really think someone would wait another day for a much shakier chance of there being a bigger payload, so I don't think that was the reason the perpetrator didn't commit the act on Monday.

I don't have a solid opinion on this particular matter you raised either, so some group debate could be really helpful here. Btw if the cat was part of the plan, it was taken 24 hours in advance. Goodman's phrasing seems to potentially imply Puss went missing at the time Wallace went to the chess club? Hard to tell the specifics, all the papers just say it had been missing for "24 hours at the time of the murder" or words to that effect...
                I don't disagree that people may have known that Wallace enjoyed chess, or even where he played chess, but he was not a very regular attender. They would have to have known he was intending to play in order to phone and make sure he got the message. So at the very least it is most likely someone who knew the Wallaces and had been told (or seen the schedule). Parry and Wallace are therefore quite likely but you are right, not the only people. It is only when you combine it with knowing the premium schedule that it really narrows down to Parry or Wallace.

If it was someone else, they must have taken some action to find the cafe number as it was not listed.

I think this rules out run of the mill burglars.

Comment

I don't disagree that people may have known that Wallace enjoyed chess, or even where he played chess, but he was not a very regular attender. They would have to have known he was intending to play in order to phone and make sure he got the message. So at the very least it is most likely someone who knew the Wallaces and had been told (or seen the schedule). Parry and Wallace are therefore quite likely but you are right, not the only people. It is only when you combine it with knowing the premium schedule that it really narrows down to Parry or Wallace.

If it was someone else, they must have taken some action to find the cafe number as it was not listed.

Certainly it was someone aware of the Wallaces. They had to know of his business, they had to know he went to chess and where. But also do keep in mind many burglars at that time formed "syndicates", so one person could have provided the information yet not actually done any of the dirty work.

As for the premium schedule. Is it certainly why they struck on tuesday? I tend to doubt that has to be true. What of the possibility that they just knew he went to chess on monday nights, had perhaps heard through the grapevine or Julia/Wallace that he was planning to go (or just knew that "Wallace leaving home on monday at X time = probably going to chess") for that occasion, and seized the opportunity without even knowing he was most likely to have the largest bounty on tuesdays?

I don't think the fact they struck on tuesday means they definitely knew about his collection habits.

And why not strike monday? Well perhaps they weren't totally sure he would be at the club, perhaps he'd just nipped out to buy some cigarettes. Maybe they felt it was a safer bet to see if he left at a certain time the following night? Perhaps Julia might have mentioned her husband would be out on a business trip that night which would be a solid tip off that the plan had worked (Amy Wallace called and was told Wallace was going to Calderstones, also of note, the Johnstons claimed they could always hear Amy Wallace's visits through the walls as she was so loud). Or perhaps they wanted to obtain the cat as part of the plan and had not yet done so (if it was taken after Wallace left for chess).

Of course, if Wallace himself is involved and had a conspirator to murder then it all becomes rather obvious blackmailing the person he knew burgled #19 and potentially other homes in the area would work out well. Especially if it was Mr. Johnston, as him going to jail could totally f*ck his family (and obviously himself and his own future too), as he may have been the sole breadwinner.

And obviously the Johnston involvement PLUS Wallace eliminates almost every possible coincidence in the case.

The weird BDSM sh*t could be related too. Had Julia discovered he was getting freaky with Amy (who was said to have indulged in "beating black boys" in Malaya - and we see Wallace owned a dog whip), and threatened a divorce or to tell Joseph (assuming Joseph really WASN'T in the country and WASN'T the doppelganger in the cab rushing to Sefton Park), that would provide a motive. So then you have a possible motive as well as a more plausible blackmailed murder scenario. That's what I'm thinking along the lines of right now.

You could also (unlikely) have a furious Joseph revenge attack unbeknownst to Wallace, so Amy and Joseph conspiracy to murder. I don't know that it's plausible but again, best to mention everything 'cause you don't know what's gonna give someone an "AHA!" moment. Though Joseph was extremely intelligent, moreso than Wallace, and more likely to be able to mastermind a grand scheme.

But I don't want to convict Wallace just because it makes sense for him to be involved... If Rod and Antony return (team Wallacers) then they will definitely help push things forward as they'll have all the "why Wallace is innocent" facts.
                  Last edited by WallaceWackedHer; 02-27-2019, 10:07 PM.

Comment

• I think that we would need to know a little more about The Anfield Housebreakers m.o. If he got into houses using a skeleton key I’d find it difficult to believe that he would do this as early in the evening as the murder of Julia Wallace? Wouldn’t he have gone in when the lights were off and he believed that everyone was in bed? Would he have simply let himself into the Wallace’s back kitchen at, say, 7.30 with the risk of finding Wallace himself in the back kitchen?

For me the phone call and the murder have to be connected as part of a plan which could have only two explanations. a) to get Wallace out of the house or b) to give Wallace a reason for being absent and to point at the involvement of an unknown assailant.
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

To have made the phone call to the chess club the caller would have had to have been certain that Wallace was attending on that particular night especially as he hadn’t attended since before Christmas. This gives us only Wallace himself or someone watching Wallace from a car (not on foot) in Breck Road on the Monday night to ensure that he was going to the club.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• as they'll have all the "why Wallace is innocent" facts.
                        There aren’t any
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I think that we would need to know a little more about The Anfield Housebreakers m.o. If he got into houses using a skeleton key I’d find it difficult to believe that he would do this as early in the evening as the murder of Julia Wallace? Wouldn’t he have gone in when the lights were off and he believed that everyone was in bed? Would he have simply let himself into the Wallace’s back kitchen at, say, 7.30 with the risk of finding Wallace himself in the back kitchen?

For me the phone call and the murder have to be connected as part of a plan which could have only two explanations. a) to get Wallace out of the house or b) to give Wallace a reason for being absent and to point at the involvement of an unknown assailant.
                          We do need to, and probably it's information people who have seen the case files will be aware of... And we know that the Anfield Housebreaker (or HousebreakerS) went into people's homes during their temporary absence. It may have been difficult to get Julia out of the house, particularly as she was quite unwell, and apparently reclusive. I believe the cat may have been taken on purpose, possibly with the intention of using it in some way to get her out of the home, or to get in.

But either way like I said, the way I see it is there are only two possibilities: The crime was either committed by someone involved in the burglary at #19 OR purposefully staged as such to mislead police. The latter is quite likely in my opinion.

I'm wondering, why could Julia possibly be in the parlor if not for a guest arriving? Is there any other reason she might be in there? We heard that they barely used it except for music and visitors, and Wallace said it was a colder room than the living kitchen. Julia being in the parlor is the biggest issue I have with a burglary motive, as well as the silence... Though Johnston involvement helps with the latter, I mean, at best we can say they have very selective hearing - enough to hear "gentle knocks" on the back and front doors, but totally deaf to cupboards being wrenched off and anyone else entering the home/knocking/being admitted after Wallace left.

Random thought: Someone took the cat to the front door, and was admitted, distracting Julia in the parlor, while a second party entered the back door with a duplicate key. The yard door bolt is an issue here, so we have to work out if it was possible to unbolt it from the outside, or for Julia to forget to do it, or to scale the wall... For some reason, Julia heard a noise in the back room, and the person in the parlor with her hit her before she could investigate?

But to me it really seems like someone went in there (via wilfull admission from Julia, considering she's in the parlor) to kill her, then tried to make the scene look IDENTICAL to the crime that happened a month earlier just a few doors away to throw police off the scent... OR perhaps Wallace told her to prep the room and that he was just nipping out for a moment, then the killer entered in his place and did her in.

---

Here's a map showing the area, and my red outline showing the homes where the killer/burglar/accomplice could live, that would MAXIMIZE the odds of not being spotted:

Click image for larger version  Name:	1578122map1551307316.jpg Views:	0 Size:	179.4 KB ID:	702404

If anyone had access to any of the homes within that red box, it would allow them to slip in, commit the crime, get out, and get back into their home with the highest chance of remaining undetected, by using the back entry system... If the killer does NOT have access to those homes, and it was NOT premeditated, then how did they get away? It was still like, 7 or 8 PM, there'd be people walking about. How far is it realistic for someone to be able to travel with noticeable blood upon them without being detected?

OR of course the killer could have handed items such as bloodstained clothing and weapons to any of the people within that box via the back entries, whether that killer was Wallace himself or anyone else.

Were the poker and iron bar taken away as red herrings for the police? If they were and Wallace was involved you would think he would mention them being there (or Sarah lying about the bar's existence which would be interesting)... Or did the killer first hit her with the poker, then think it wasn't strong enough to finish her off with certainty, so grabbed the iron bar and battered her on the back of the head with it to ensure she was dead?
                          Last edited by WallaceWackedHer; 02-27-2019, 10:52 PM.

Comment

To have made the phone call to the chess club the caller would have had to have been certain that Wallace was attending on that particular night especially as he hadn’t attended since before Christmas. This gives us only Wallace himself or someone watching Wallace from a car (not on foot) in Breck Road on the Monday night to ensure that he was going to the club.
                            The other forum poster agrees with this train of thought, but I don't necessarily. Like I said I can easily see him or Julia relaying that info to someone else. Draper working there the previous Wednesday hearing that he would be attending? Neighbors? Like if someone had saw Wallace leaving and said hello, they might have asked where he was headed, then naturally he would tell them and think nothing of it. There are a number of scenarios in which I can see someone else being able to know where he was going that night.

I do also definitely see your point though... But I wouldn't rely on that alone to rule anything out.

Except I don't think a car was necessarily needed. The caller could easily have someone waiting there at the café, who would then, on the following day or later that night, be able to confirm Wallace had turned up.

Comment

The other forum poster agrees with this train of thought, but I don't necessarily. Like I said I can easily see him or Julia relaying that info to someone else. Draper working there the previous Wednesday hearing that he would be attending? Neighbors? Like if someone had saw Wallace leaving and said hello, they might have asked where he was headed, then naturally he would tell them and think nothing of it. There are a number of scenarios in which I can see someone else being able to know where he was going that night.

I do also definitely see your point though... But I wouldn't rely on that alone to rule anything out.

Except I don't think a car was necessarily needed. The caller could easily have someone waiting there at the café, who would then, on the following day or later that night, be able to confirm Wallace had turned up.
                              I don't think the Wallaces were as chatty or as outgoing as you seem to think . And people wouldn't say to a neighbour in the street 'hello where are you off to'

Comment

• Originally posted by moste View Post

I don't think the Wallaces were as chatty or as outgoing as you seem to think . And people wouldn't say to a neighbour in the street 'hello where are you off to'
                                I don't think they're chatty. But nor am I and my next door neighbors know when I go gym etc. Quite a few times when outside defrosting the car or whatever they'll strike up just a typical chit chatty conversation and I'll probably mention I'm off to the gym or w.e... If they ask me, like, "off to the gym?" I tell them and think nothing of it.

That's only my actual next door neighbors though. They're friendly with me. Nobody else on the street would know/say that I doubt. My neighbor on the other side, I know her but I don't think she knows much about me? I live on an end of terrace house.

But I'm saying I don't see that it's in the realm of impossibility. I wouldn't rule it out completely... The Wallaces and Johnstons were close enough to send postcards saying how they're having a nice time on vacation etc. I would only send postcards like that to someone I'm fairly close with. Like I'd hardly mail such a card to some random down the street who's maybe seen me once or twice rofl.

Oh and yeah same with Draper overhearing while working etc. Nomsayin'? I wouldn't say it's impossible for others to have known or have reason to heavily suspect he was off to the club.

I do think Wallace and Johnston involvement makes a lot of logical sense on many levels. Wallace completely uninvolved, Idno... I guess you could have Parry or some other person from the club and a neighbor too...

Neighbor eliminates the weirdness of the attacker vanishing unseen. And Johnstons in particular eliminate the "coincidental" meeting. Wallace at the back door: Locked. Wallace at the front door: Bolted on latch. Wallace back at the back door: Johnstons are there (who have a dupe key) and the back door magically opens now.

That's if you take Wallace at his word, that he was innocent etc. And of course we only have the word of Wallace and Johnstons that that series of events even happened (if I recall, Wallace was originally trying to give the impression the attacker was still in the home). Fortunate that the Johnstons heard his light knocks on both doors but not the cupboard being yanked off and dropping onto the floor etc.

But I think his involvement with the Johnstons in the plot would clear up many issues. I'm inclined to believe something like that.
                                Last edited by WallaceWackedHer; 02-28-2019, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X