Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Move to Murder: Who Killed Julia Wallace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by moste View Post
    What does a number of tragedies mean I wonder!
    Well I'm trying to sign up to the British Newspaper Archive. Their website isn't working right but I've contacted them.

If I sign up I will surely be able to get details of these events in the Liverpool Echo (annoyingly they don't have the Express at the right dates and times).

Comment

• Originally posted by Observer View Post
      zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
      ???????????

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• I’m certainly not criticising you for exploring all avenues WWH as you might come up with something previously unnnoticed that could lead us to solving or getting close to solving the case but it’s my opinion, and I have been wrong in the past (it was on June 3rd 1987 btw) that the cat played no part in this unless we believe that the Johnston’s were a part of some plot and I just can’t see it. I think the cat might have gone AWOL for awhile and then returned and slipped inside when the Johnston’s entered. The Johnston’s going out at just that time was simply a minor coincidence (although 8.45 does seem rather late for going out visiting.) I also can’t see any reason to involve Marsden (Gannon’s nympho-Julia theory has never washed with me) He was about to marry well, had a decent job and his future looked good so I can’t see why he’d want to involve himself in a robbery. Wallace could have gotten the name Qualtrough from the shop, from somewhere or someone in his past or from talking to Marsden. I don’t think that the Johnston’s knew about Wallace’s MGE excursion. Yes they could hear through the walls but bumps and doors closing etc. I think that the chances of them hearing a normal conversation spoken at a normal level would have been zero.

The fact that Wallace denied knowing about the bar is an interesting one. Whilst firelighting might have been left to Julia or Sarah Draper you would think that Wallace would have been aware of the bar’s existence? A defender might say though that it was simply something that Wallace paid no attention to because he never used it. Personally I agree with you that it is suspicious.

Talking of Sarah Draper, let’s add another theory. What if she knew about the cash box (likely) and gave this information to an associate and (here’s the good bit) what if she went on a shopping trip for Julia and to the house key with her and had a duplicate made?
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
          I’m certainly not criticising you for exploring all avenues WWH as you might come up with something previously unnnoticed that could lead us to solving or getting close to solving the case but it’s my opinion, and I have been wrong in the past (it was on June 3rd 1987 btw) that the cat played no part in this unless we believe that the Johnston’s were a part of some plot and I just can’t see it. I think the cat might have gone AWOL for awhile and then returned and slipped inside when the Johnston’s entered. The Johnston’s going out at just that time was simply a minor coincidence (although 8.45 does seem rather late for going out visiting.) I also can’t see any reason to involve Marsden (Gannon’s nympho-Julia theory has never washed with me) He was about to marry well, had a decent job and his future looked good so I can’t see why he’d want to involve himself in a robbery. Wallace could have gotten the name Qualtrough from the shop, from somewhere or someone in his past or from talking to Marsden. I don’t think that the Johnston’s knew about Wallace’s MGE excursion. Yes they could hear through the walls but bumps and doors closing etc. I think that the chances of them hearing a normal conversation spoken at a normal level would have been zero.

The fact that Wallace denied knowing about the bar is an interesting one. Whilst firelighting might have been left to Julia or Sarah Draper you would think that Wallace would have been aware of the bar’s existence? A defender might say though that it was simply something that Wallace paid no attention to because he never used it. Personally I agree with you that it is suspicious.

Talking of Sarah Draper, let’s add another theory. What if she knew about the cash box (likely) and gave this information to an associate and (here’s the good bit) what if she went on a shopping trip for Julia and to the house key with her and had a duplicate made?
          I've just gone through Goodman's book. I can see some of the facts are wrong, but I have learned a fair bit of new information...

The cat came in when the constables arrived it would appear. Julia had freaked out about its disappearance because she was particularly fond of, and attached to, the cat. Apparently she was so distressed about its disappearance that she could not concentrate on Wallace's conversation on the night of the 19th. Exactly how it managed to get out of the home is unexplained, and why it had apparently chosen to STAY out during the harsh climate is also completely unknown and nonsensical.

I also see that there had been 6 people in the Johnston's home (maybe actually 4?). Did NONE of them hear any hint of an intruder or noise?

I also learned that the iron bar was rusty, while no rust was found on Julia. I think this would quite show that, if it had been used, then it had been wrapped. Killers have used such tricks in the past to avoid getting blood on the weapon (e.g. wrapping it in newspaper). And of course the poker that had been "thrown out with the ashes".

There seems to be conflicting information as to whether or not Wallace was actually a good employee. I mean he worked 16 years without a promotion? But apparently was considered a dedicated worker? Though despite his dedication he completely fumbled on details of the client he was going to meet. I think he told someone he was to meet "Qualthorpe"?, which is a bit ridiculous considering he'd repeated the name like 20 times. As well as thinking he was called A. M. Qualtrough and mixing up the address he was meant to be headed to... Was this USUAL of Wallace (given his 16 years with no promotion), was he truly a bit of a bumbling fool? Or a good employee?

What I have read, is that at 19 Wolverton Street, an almost identical crime had taken place near the end of 1930. No sign of forced entry, only the savings had been stolen from, and the container returned. The bedroom upstairs had also been "ransacked". So was the killing of Julia Wallace a "copycat" crime trying to make it look like the same burglar had carried out this deed to divert police attention? Was it genuinely the same person and, for reasons unknown, Julia had been in the parlor? There were no more "Anfield burglaries" after this event... I also wonder if Draper had worked for any other houses on the street? As this may have allowed her to supply a burglar with important information about the location of money, or indeed perhaps she herself may have had access to those homes?... Residents were also known to allow their neighbors access to their homes during vacations (e.g. to open and close curtains to give the illusion of occupancy), during which times, again, someone cunning could have noted in advance the location of items.

Does anyone know who lived at 27 Wolverton Street? Were there any other suspicious neighbors? Supposedly there had been no forced entry at #19 and we know that keys fit multiple doors on the street. If it can be discerned WHO could possibly have had keys that would fit both 19 and 29 Wolverton Street it might be a good lead. Apparently a man at #33 had accidentally wandered into the Wallace household while drunk, believing it to be his own home.

Is all of this information I have found falsified or true?
          Last edited by WallaceWackedHer; 02-25-2019, 12:11 AM.

Comment

• By the way, curious that Wallace "didn't know the name" of Draper the cleaning lady... Even though the cleaning lady had supposedly seen them both together enough to form an opinion that they were on "friendly terms". Was she paid in cash every time? Were there ever cheques made out to her etc? I mean lmao wtf is going on here? He knew her address but not her name? Man.........

Seems like Mr. Johnston's claim of never knowing Julia's name.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

???????????
              Dozey of the seven Dwarfs!? He's on the wrong thread

Comment

• Quote: Does anyone know who lived at 27 Wolverton Street? Were there any other suspicious neighbors? Hi wwh .that would be the Holmes family ( no relation to Sherlock)

Comment

• Originally posted by moste View Post
                  Quote: Does anyone know who lived at 27 Wolverton Street? Were there any other suspicious neighbors? Hi wwh .that would be the Holmes family ( no relation to Sherlock)
                  Where did you get that? I need to buy more books so I don't make stupid ideas lol.

I assume of course the family was quickly ruled out. If they were home and corroborated the silence next door, then that would tend to help the Johnstons by corroborating their claim of hearing nothing.

But if number 19 was truly burgled in December AND there was no forced entry, AND the crime scene was basically identical (pillows and blankets chucked upstairs, cash container stolen from and replaced), then either Julia's murder was purposefully made to look similar to implicate the "Anfield housebreaker", or the two crimes are LEGITIMATELY linked...

If linked and this information isn't just made up, then we see that evidently somebody had advanced knowledge of the location of BOTH these nest eggs. It is said that Parry or Marsden had to have done it because of the cash box... But we see the same thing had apparently been done at number 19 just weeks earlier.

Surely Draper worked for more homes than just #29? She had not been to work since the 7th I believe, so may not have known Wallace was ill, but may have known his work schedule etc. which she could have relayed to another party... I would wonder if Julia had had plans for the night which were cancelled due to her illness, if not for her being found killed in the parlor, with no sign of struggle etc.

The Anfield burglar is also claimed to be one person right? But what you may have is a group or multiple individuals? Little burglary syndicates like that would definitely not be anything new. More extensive information on the Anfield burglaries would no doubt be of great use, and also whether the homes that were hit had employed a cleaner or whatever, and if all other crimes involved forced entry.

---

Also what of the link between Wallace's dog whip, Amy Wallace's paddle (and what Collins claimed she did with it lol), and the "sexually odd" comments? Amy Wallace said she had called at the home to see Julia. The Johnstons said they could always hear Amy's visits, so did they hear this one? And was it usual for Amy to visit Julia alone (rather than just going there to see Wallace)? Had Julia discovered something which necessitated her silencing?

---

But yes I feel I must get more books as I'm thinking things which book information could rule out. I read the cat was missing for MULTIPLE days so that is even weirder. If true maybe it was indeed used by someone to try and get the reclusive Julia out of the home, or used to gain entry, then left outside after the crime. That's if it really was MULTIPLE days which would stretch the boundaries of believability in that climate, that the cat should choose to stay out on the street, and that if it was staying with a neighbor who had innocent intentions, why they did not tell Julia who was worried sick.

Btw if it's true the Johnstons were asked by the Wallaces to open and close their curtains during their vacation, then we know they were lying about having only been in the parlor/never having been in there before.
                  Last edited by WallaceWackedHer; 02-25-2019, 06:03 AM.

Comment

• From Goodman's book:

There had been a certain amount of corruption within the police force before the strike; but now it increased: a few nasty sores became a rash. The force became overstocked with dishonest policemen—“bent Jacks”—some of them only slightly bent, but a lot of them bent almost double. In at least one division a Chicago-style protection racket was organized. Some members of the force took up housebreaking, either as a spare-time occupation or to ease the monotony of long spells of duty. This often led to situations wherein the criminals investigated their own crimes. Needless to say, they never solved them.
                    By the way Antony I also bought your book... Unfortunately the first part was really annoying, because it was fictionalized retelling, and to someone trying to research the case, it's impossible to know what parts of conversation are invented for the story etc., and what parts are REAL. It was very frustrating... Then I got to Part Two and Three which fortunately had new information.

Here's the thing man:

The statements Wallace is giving, it's honestly like he has dementia or something. He called Parry "Mr. Gordon R. Parry", says he was visiting "A.M. Qualtrough", at "Menlove Avenue East". He doesn't know the name of his own cleaning lady who he had seen many times (enough for her to have an idea as to the state of their marriage). Marsden coming to his home and saw him take down the cash box "often", despite you saying he could only have covered Wallace for three days. Thomas "McCarthy". Saying Qualtrough requested a meeting on "tuesday the 21st". Thinking the conductor pointed him to the 5A when he yelled at him to take the 7. Leaving himself 10 minutes upon arrival to get to an address HE DOESN'T EVEN KNOW THE LOCATION OF.

He didn't even know what ******* trams to take without asking so him even making it in time is sheer luck.

He also "THINKS" he took a certain route when going to the chess club. Important if he'd been guilty, as if any bus/tram witnesses came forward to say they saw him on a certain route he'd be ****ed obviously.

Was he really this stupid? Because I see he wasn't promoted in 16 years of dilligent work for the Pru, so maybe he really was that foolish. You realize him having like, dementia or something would be a STRONG sign to his innocence, as it would explain how he was so easily tricked, got so much stuff wrong, "lied" (perhaps unwittingly), retracted countless statements, denied multiple statements (for example, the conductor) and Lily Hall's sighting.

On Lily Hall's sighting I see you have contested it. Gannon contests himself:

What Lily Hall actually said at the committal trial was, ‘One went down the entry and the other down Richmond Park but I do not know whom.’ When Scholefield Allen (Wallace’s defence counsel) asked her to clarify this, Lily Hall said, ‘The man went down the entry opposite the institute.’ The entry opposite the ‘institute’ (Parish Hall) was the entry leading from Wallace’s back door into Richmond Park: the entry Wallace had used upon leaving his back door to begin his journey to Menlove Gardens East earlier that night – and the entry he had told Inspector Gold he had used upon his return.
                    She originally did not say she saw them part. Maybe she added that on, being convinced of Wallace's guilt. What's more important is if she matched what outfit he was wearing in her first statement (if this could not otherwise be known), as that would show she saw him. Even if she made up the bit about what directions they went in.
                    Last edited by WallaceWackedHer; 02-25-2019, 11:12 AM.

Comment

• I now have access to the British Newspaper Archives. ****'s about to get REAL son. I'm angered they don't have the Liverpool Evening Express from the 30s, as I know the January 23rd (or something) issue mentioned the case, and the black tabby cat.

Comment

• I will post more as I come across new information:

The Liverpool police have now a valuable clue in the Anfield murder mystery, and their efforts are centred on the search for a man who was driven in a hired car from the vicinity of the crime on Tuesday evening. With the identification of this man startling developments are probable. A complete story of this unidentified man's ride in the car is in the hands of the police. Investigating officers have ascertained that at sevon o'clock on Tuesday evening-an hour within the time in which theory has the crime to have been committed-a man called at a garage not far from the house in Wolverton-street, where Mrs. Julia Wallace was brutally battered to death. He asked to be driven to Sefton Park, and the garage man was struck by his obvious nervousness and agitation.

"Drive me quickly. I'm in a hurry!" said the man. As he took his seat beside the driver of the car he exclaimed !You won't kill me, will you?"

Surprised the driver reassured him, at the same time asking what he meant by such a strange remark. The man replied, "I am in a nervous state."

- Saturday 24 January 1931, Liverpool Echo
                        I'm typing them out by hand so sorry for errors.

SEFTON PARK IS ON ULLET ROAD!!!!!!!

ULLET ROAD IS WHERE AMY WALLACE LIVES.
                        Last edited by WallaceWackedHer; 02-25-2019, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• Continuation of the above:

The driver followed a route via Lodge-lane and Beaumont-street, but at the corner of the latter street the man asked that the driver should turn down the street to Kingsley-road. Asked if he desired any particular house in Kingsley-road, the man retorted, "No. You may as well stop here."

After getting out of the cat and paying the fare, the man hurried off down one of the side streets, disappearing in the darkness towards Princes-road.

From inquiries made, the police now issue the following description of this man:-

Is well spoken and about fifty years of age; about 5ft. 11ins. in height, of a thin build with sharp features; hair is turning grey; he has a moustache and sallow complexion; he was wearing a pair of rimmed glasses, a dark overcoat, and carried an umbrella.

A request is made that anybody who saw, either in the Anfield or Sefton Park districts, a person answering to this description, should communicate at once with the C.I.D. headquarters in Dale-street.
                          The route is below (the driver would have stopped near the top of Kingsley Court by the sounds of it):

Click image for larger version  Name:	jkUDFsB.png Views:	0 Size:	42.3 KB ID:	702274

^ Link because the image is blurry when posted here.

The red marker is the home Joseph Wallace rented, while Ullet Road is where Amy Wallace's apartment is.
                          Last edited by WallaceWackedHer; 02-25-2019, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• Quote: Where did you get that? I need to buy more books so I don't make stupid ideas lol.

Walter and Bertha Holmes heard noises at # 29 at 6 30 pm before Wallace left for the Qualtrough meeting.according to 'Roger Wilkes' s book ( Wallace the final verdict) Mrs Holmes thought it was at their front door, Mr. Holmes said " No it came from the Wallaces's" a sound as though some one had fallen.
                            Sounds a bit hazy but any way....

Comment

• Although the Holmes's (#27) home has side by side front doors with Wallaces,the Johnstons parlours at #31 are divided only by a double brick wall. On the other hand 27 and 29 have 2 sets of staircases between the two parlours including the double brick wall of course. So the Johnstons would be better positioned to hear stuff in the Wallaces parlour than the Holmes's
                              Interestingly, 'Wilkes' has the Holmes's sitting down having tea in the middle kitchen when the sound was heard . I would challenge that they heard a falling Julia onto a carpeted , rugged , floor if this was the situation.

Comment

• Here's some more information of note:

There were a group of youths arrested for burglary in the Allerton area. This was reported in the paper around mid December (the Echo). The last place a few of those arrested robbed was a home in Menlove Gardens on the 21st of December 1930, stealing around £243 worth of jewelry. They were arrested on charges of having carried out a string of 29 burglaries in the area.

Two sixteen year olds with the names Harold Charles Paine, Victoria-terrace, Wavetree, and Joseph Shipley of Grenfell-road. They broke into a home south of Mossley Hill, stealing items to the value of £1. Paine had already been on probation in London for housebreaking.

Three others were arrested for robbing £243 of jewelry from Menlove Gardens: James Herbert King (17) of Wellington-grove, John James Hughes (18) of Wellington-grove, and David Martin (18) of Colville-street. They were remanded in custody for a week.

And of note also, the description of the man here:

Is well spoken and about fifty years of age; about 5ft. 11ins. in height, of a thin build with sharp features; hair is turning grey; he has a moustache and sallow complexion; he was wearing a pair of rimmed glasses, a dark overcoat, and carried an umbrella.
                                Other reports say "slight moustache". Rather matches Joseph wouldn't you say? Is there anything at all to prove (apart from Amy's word) that he wasn't in the country?

Also a few things for your consideration:

1) Why did Joseph rent out a home for Amy to move into with him when he could have gone to Amy's place?

2) WHY did Wallace feel the need to tell officers that a DOG WHIP (a very weird ******* item) was missing from his home for 12 MONTHS? Would you randomly tell people about some item you hadn't seen in a year? Had it some significance? We know it is BDSM equipment which is weird as **** in and of itself, but you know that Amy Wallace was apparently part of a "flagellation sect" (looool) in Malay:

Amy wallace, Julia's sister in law, was a dominant lady, and when in Malaya with her husband in the 1920's, indulged in 'beating black boys'.
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	flagellants-at-time-of-black-death-in-europe-sect-went-through-in-picture-id113439558.jpg Views:	0 Size:	174.3 KB ID:	702296

^ Flagellation items rofl.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pet-Training-Dog-Train-Cane-Whip-Agility-Brown-Leather-Lash-Romal-Schutzhund-For-Larger-Dogs-Toy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.0 KB ID:	702297

^ The item Wallace randomly noted had been "missing from his home for 12 months" for no reason at all.

Of course, he didn't notice the missing poker or iron bar that Sarah Draper claimed had been there, but recalled and mentioned for some reason a 12 month missing bondage item.

3) The fact Parry's "sexually odd" comment may have referred to something of that nature. Wallace admitted to owning a BDSM item, so that would certainly be considered weird... Though how Parry knew Wallace was into BDSM remains a mystery.

4) Seeing as the driver said the man had gone down a side road, my original route is wrong, and would be further down Kingsley Road where he got out. At the very least here:

Click image for larger version  Name:	jz2uAkF.png Views:	0 Size:	50.8 KB ID:	702298

It is 11 minutes at a typical walking pace to Bentley Road. Of note there is a large park here called Prince's Park. It has an enormous lake:

Click image for larger version  Name:	d54b29aff4209a61220fdad05623d6ba.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.7 KB ID:	702299

If the man in the cab was disposing of items, he may have chosen to dump them in the park, possibly in the lake. This would also serve a dual purpose of removing any potential minor stains on the item etc. Then, if not going to Bentley Road but to 83 Ullet Road, he could have come out of the park at Windermere Terrace, a tiny exitway from the park leading to 32 Ullet Road, and then from there, a 12 minute walk to 83 Ullet Road.

Again this is all at a typical walking speed calculated by Google Maps, but it is suggested the man was in a "hurry", so we can expect him to have made these times much quicker.

5) An image of W H Wallace with his brother Joseph. William is 6'2:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IbAlGGa.png Views:	0 Size:	24.7 KB ID:	702300

I want to check the weather for that day (19 May, 1931, Liverpool) due to Joseph wearing shades, but I cant find the site I used before when finding the weather when the cat was missing ... He looks like a Cartel leader lmfao.

5) I know it had been raining earlier in the day, but apparently the weather had turned out "fine" on that evening? So make of it what you will that he carried an umbrella. Wouldn't be surprising as a precaution.

6) Amy Wallace had supposedly gone to Julia's home at 3:30 PM on the 20th, Wallace had left the home at 3:15 and was seen apparently crying at around 3:30 PM. I am not sure if anyone corroborated her visit or not by the way, that will have to be relayed to me. Amy is the one who said that Julia had told her that her husband he had an important business meeting that night.

7) In some places I see reference to Wallace's sister-in-law being at the funeral, which could be either Amy Dennis or Amy Wallace. Although in newspaper reports, there were apparently only 4 mourners, ALL male, including W H Wallace, and possibly Edwin if I remember right.

8) IF Wallace was seen crying for real, then it would tend to make me believe he loved Julia, but that she had to be silenced out of necessity for some reason.

---

On a side note, I found the address of Sarah Draper in the newspaper: 38 Tollerton Road.
                                Last edited by WallaceWackedHer; 02-25-2019, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X