Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brian Shaffer - A man walks into a bar...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Brian Shaffer - A man walks into a bar...

    ...and never comes out?

    I'm sure my fellow mystery buffs will have heard about this case. On March 31 2006 a medical student called Brian Shaffer visited a bar with two friends to celebrate spring break. There was only one public entrance to the bar and surveillance footage caught them entering the bar but towards the end of the night Brian was separated from his two friends. They left the bar at closing time and waited outside for Brian before assuming that he must have already gone home. Brian was seen again talking to two women that night before returning to the bar. However, there is no footage of him leaving, and there's been no trace of him ever since.

    The only other exit was from the bar was via the emergency exit but apparently anyone leaving here would've been picked up by a motion detection camera. Failing that, Brian may have left through the construction site. Police said that it would've been dangerous for someone to take that route, no less someone who'd had a few.

    Theories abound about Brian's fate. Some believe he may have left voluntarily to start a new life. Brian's mother had recently passed away and it's speculated that grief was his motivation for running away, while others argue that it would've been uncharacteristic for Brian to leave his loved ones behind without a word, especially his father who tragically died two years later. Foul play is also suspected. Suspicion has been levied at Brian's friend who was with him that night. He lawyered up after the initial inquiries and refused to take a polygraph. His lawyer also suggested that Brian might still be alive but we don't know what this belief is based on.

    Personally, I favour the simplest explanation that Brian wandered through the construction site and had an accident. His body may have become trapped somewhere out of sight and he was buried by all the construction work going on. However, police claim that they searched the area and cadaver dogs weren't able to turn up anything.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Harry D View Post
    ...and never comes out?

    I'm sure my fellow mystery buffs will have heard about this case. On March 31 2006 a medical student called Brian Shaffer visited a bar with two friends to celebrate spring break. There was only one public entrance to the bar and surveillance footage caught them entering the bar but towards the end of the night Brian was separated from his two friends. They left the bar at closing time and waited outside for Brian before assuming that he must have already gone home. Brian was seen again talking to two women that night before returning to the bar. However, there is no footage of him leaving, and there's been no trace of him ever since.

    The only other exit was from the bar was via the emergency exit but apparently anyone leaving here would've been picked up by a motion detection camera. Failing that, Brian may have left through the construction site. Police said that it would've been dangerous for someone to take that route, no less someone who'd had a few.

    Theories abound about Brian's fate. Some believe he may have left voluntarily to start a new life. Brian's mother had recently passed away and it's speculated that grief was his motivation for running away, while others argue that it would've been uncharacteristic for Brian to leave his loved ones behind without a word, especially his father who tragically died two years later. Foul play is also suspected. Suspicion has been levied at Brian's friend who was with him that night. He lawyered up after the initial inquiries and refused to take a polygraph. His lawyer also suggested that Brian might still be alive but we don't know what this belief is based on.

    Personally, I favour the simplest explanation that Brian wandered through the construction site and had an accident. His body may have become trapped somewhere out of sight and he was buried by all the construction work going on. However, police claim that they searched the area and cadaver dogs weren't able to turn up anything.
    The suspected friend killed him.
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

    -Edgar Allan Poe


    "...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

    -Frederick G. Abberline

    Comment


    • #3
      Wikipedia article:

      https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disa..._Brian_Shaffer

      The friend, Clint Florence, refused a lie-detector test, but that doesn't necessarily mean he murdered Brian.

      I think maybe Brian skulked away in a disguise. Dead or alive-- who knows?
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
        The suspected friend killed him.
        That's rather glib, Abby. Why do you believe that?

        He would've had to have killed him in the bar and disposed of his body somewhere. How? And why?

        Apparently it was under his lawyer's advice that Clint refused a polygraph. And I don't blame him. Polygraphs are far from infallible, in fact in some scientific circles they're considered junk science. Maybe he suspected the police were trying to fit him up? Maybe there was something about that night he didn't want disclosed (i.e. drug-taking). I don't think it necessarily points to his guilt.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Harry D View Post
          That's rather glib, Abby. Why do you believe that?

          He would've had to have killed him in the bar and disposed of his body somewhere. How? And why?

          Apparently it was under his lawyer's advice that Clint refused a polygraph. And I don't blame him. Polygraphs are far from infallible, in fact in some scientific circles they're considered junk science. Maybe he suspected the police were trying to fit him up? Maybe there was something about that night he didn't want disclosed (i.e. drug-taking). I don't think it necessarily points to his guilt.
          Hi Harry
          He wasn't killed in the bar. there was a question if the cameras would have caught him-he may have stumbled out through the construction area also.
          I think he ended up hooking back up with the friend Clint later that night and something went awry between them. Clint and the other friend had been trying to call him when they got separated that night and I think that he may have called Clint back, or not-maybe just found him- once he left the bar and they hooked back up.

          after that night all his other friends, including the one he ran into that night were repeatedly trying to reach him. All but Clint. Odd, no? and he lawyered up and refused poly. I'm always suspicious of that kind of behavior.

          There is also no forensic, or other evidence that anything fishy happened in the bar.

          my money is on the "friend".
          "Is all that we see or seem
          but a dream within a dream?"

          -Edgar Allan Poe


          "...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
          quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

          -Frederick G. Abberline

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
            Hi Harry
            He wasn't killed in the bar. there was a question if the cameras would have caught him-he may have stumbled out through the construction area also.
            I think he ended up hooking back up with the friend Clint later that night and something went awry between them. Clint and the other friend had been trying to call him when they got separated that night and I think that he may have called Clint back, or not-maybe just found him- once he left the bar and they hooked back up.
            I don't know, Abby. That sounds far too perfect. Brian leaves through one of the side-exits, none of the surveillance cameras pick him up, no one else sees him except Clint, who opportunistically murders him? If he was seen entering the building but not leaving, chances are he's still in there somewhere.

            Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
            after that night all his other friends, including the one he ran into that night were repeatedly trying to reach him. All but Clint. Odd, no?
            What's your source? As far as I know, Clint was one of the friends who repeatedly called Brian when he never left the bar.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Harry D View Post
              I don't know, Abby. That sounds far too perfect. Brian leaves through one of the side-exits, none of the surveillance cameras pick him up, no one else sees him except Clint, who opportunistically murders him? If he was seen entering the building but not leaving, chances are he's still in there somewhere.



              What's your source? As far as I know, Clint was one of the friends who repeatedly called Brian when he never left the bar.
              Hi Harry
              its been 10 years-don't you think someone would have noticed the smell?
              "Is all that we see or seem
              but a dream within a dream?"

              -Edgar Allan Poe


              "...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
              quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

              -Frederick G. Abberline

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                Hi Harry
                its been 10 years-don't you think someone would have noticed the smell?
                It depends on several factors, most notably where the body was put when the construction went up (a concrete wall, for example). Also, after a decade, the smell would have probably dissipated.

                Comment

                Working...
                X