Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is There No Definitive Book on the Zodiac Case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• barnflatwyngarde
    replied
    Folks, here is the fascinating youtube video where the people involved detail how they cracked the Zodiac 340 code.

On December 3rd, 2020, an international three-person team of codebreakers made a breakthrough with the Zodiac Killer's unsolved 340-character cipher.By Decem...

Leave a comment:

• barnflatwyngarde
    replied
    Originally posted by NickB View Post
    The coded message sent to the San Francisco Chronicle has been cracked:

“I hope you are having lots of fun in trying to catch me ... I am not afraid of the gas chamber because it will send me to paradice all the sooner because I now have enough slaves to work for me.”

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/ar...s-15794943.php
    Thanks for this Nick, it's good to close off another small piece of this fascinating case.
    Unfortunately it doesn't take us any closer to the narrowing down of suspects.

Oh well, maybe next year!

Here is a link which gives more detail of the cracking of the code, of particular interest is the acknowledgement of the contribution made by the ZodiacKillerSite.com.
    Kudos to them!

Last edited by barnflatwyngarde; 12-12-2020, 02:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NickB
    replied
    The coded message sent to the San Francisco Chronicle has been cracked:

“I hope you are having lots of fun in trying to catch me ... I am not afraid of the gas chamber because it will send me to paradice all the sooner because I now have enough slaves to work for me.”

Leave a comment:

• DJA
    replied
    The Most Dangerous Game (1932) - YouTube

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

Hi Herlock,
    My original post was one of puzzlement that the Zodiac case (arguably America's greatest true crime mystery) had not generated anything approaching the
    calibre of Paul Begg and Philip Sugden's tomes on the Whitechapel case.
    Graysmith simply cannot be trusted on anything that he says in his books.
    Here is a link which quite forensically dismantles most of Graysmith's claims.

With regard to books on the Zodiac case I can recommend "America's Jack the Ripper: The Crimes and Psychology of the Zodiac Killer" by Soren Roest Korsgaard.
    It gives a good overview of the crimes, but it's main strength is the speculation around the psychology of the killer, with particular reference to his many letters and postcards.

Another author to consider is Mark Hewitt, who has written three books on the Zodiac killings.

1. "Hunted: The Zodiac Murders", which gives a very detailed account of the crimes.
    2. "Profiled: The Zodiac Examined", which takes a wander through the possible psychological movtives of Zodic.
    3. "Exposed: The Zodiac Revealed", where Hewitt puts forward his preferred candidate murders.

The Korsgaard book is probably your best bet for a one volume overview of the Zodiac murders, but I did enjoy the Hewitt books, although I'm not convinced
    by his arguments re the killers identity.

If the books are a bit expensive for you, just ask your local library to buy them for you.

Good Luck!
    Thanks for the help Barn. I’ll certainly look into these suggestions

Leave a comment:

• barnflatwyngarde
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    As I don’t have my Wallace case fix I thought that i might revisit Zodiac although I don’t know how far I’ll go. I read Graysmith’s Unmasked a while ago but I gave some old books away (I needed the space) and mistakenly that one was among them. I re-ordered it for £3 today and I’ll give it another read.

At the beginning of this thread Barn regretted that there was no ‘definitive’ book on the case (similar to Sugden perhaps) but unsurprisingly there are loads of books on the subject. I don’t know how many books (if any) that I’ll end up buying but can anyone give me some recommendations? Also are there any documentary recommendations?

Cheers
    Hi Herlock,
    My original post was one of puzzlement that the Zodiac case (arguably America's greatest true crime mystery) had not generated anything approaching the
    calibre of Paul Begg and Philip Sugden's tomes on the Whitechapel case.
    Graysmith simply cannot be trusted on anything that he says in his books.
    Here is a link which quite forensically dismantles most of Graysmith's claims.

With regard to books on the Zodiac case I can recommend "America's Jack the Ripper: The Crimes and Psychology of the Zodiac Killer" by Soren Roest Korsgaard.
    It gives a good overview of the crimes, but it's main strength is the speculation around the psychology of the killer, with particular reference to his many letters and postcards.

Another author to consider is Mark Hewitt, who has written three books on the Zodiac killings.

1. "Hunted: The Zodiac Murders", which gives a very detailed account of the crimes.
    2. "Profiled: The Zodiac Examined", which takes a wander through the possible psychological movtives of Zodic.
    3. "Exposed: The Zodiac Revealed", where Hewitt puts forward his preferred candidate murders.

The Korsgaard book is probably your best bet for a one volume overview of the Zodiac murders, but I did enjoy the Hewitt books, although I'm not convinced
    by his arguments re the killers identity.

If the books are a bit expensive for you, just ask your local library to buy them for you.

Good Luck!

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    As I don’t have my Wallace case fix I thought that i might revisit Zodiac although I don’t know how far I’ll go. I read Graysmith’s Unmasked a while ago but I gave some old books away (I needed the space) and mistakenly that one was among them. I re-ordered it for £3 today and I’ll give it another read.

At the beginning of this thread Barn regretted that there was no ‘definitive’ book on the case (similar to Sugden perhaps) but unsurprisingly there are loads of books on the subject. I don’t know how many books (if any) that I’ll end up buying but can anyone give me some recommendations? Also are there any documentary recommendations?

Cheers
    get the first graysmith book on the zodiac

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    Thanks hs.
    I’m gonna get.

Also, responded to your zodiac post, not sure if you saw.
    Hi Abby,

Just finished In The Wake Of The Butcher. Well worth it in my opinion. Well written and balanced. It had be Sweeney. Surely?

Leave a comment:

• Pcdunn
    replied
    What’s the evidence for him?
    It's in the documentary "The Hunt For" series. I think he killed the woman at Lake Tahoe, and that postcard related to it included puzzles and codes similar to the later ZK letters. He had military background and more code experience than Ross Sullivan, who apparently only checked out library books on the subject. He also had location connection to Northern California and the Bay area, far more so than Sullivan.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
    I think the series on History Channel is called The Hunt for....and then they fill in the rest with a famous true crime case name. I've already seen one on the Unabomber.

Re Sullivan, his murder was in Southern California. They have tried to suggest the victim was an early one of the Zodiac Killer, but it seems unconvincing to me.

Kane is a possibility for ZK.
    What’s the evidence for him?

Leave a comment:

• Pcdunn
    replied
    I think the series on History Channel is called The Hunt for....and then they fill in the rest with a famous true crime case name. I've already seen one on the Unabomber.

Re Sullivan, his murder was in Southern California. They have tried to suggest the victim was an early one of the Zodiac Killer, but it seems unconvincing to me.

Kane is a possibility for ZK.

Leave a comment:

• Magpie
    replied
    Season 2 has already been announced.

The show started out strong, but got repetitive and wishy-washy as it went along

Leave a comment:

• Harry D
    replied
    There is some circumstantial evidence against Arthur Leigh Allen but none of the handwriting, fingerprints or DNA were a match for him. Now, perhaps Allen did disguise his handwriting, and someone else licked the stamps and sealed the envelopes, although that's kinda fishy. But the palm prints recovered from one of the letters and the inside of Stine's cab would appear to be more conclusive.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    you mean Arthur Leigh Allen? lol. not sure who ALE is.

I'm not really following to closely not sure-I hear they might stretch it out to another season, so god knows when we get there results or final conclusions back. These pseudo docus really suck. I'm sure if its anything important well actually hear it on the real news. From my earlier post, on where they are now as far as I know:

theyre focusing on two suspects now-Lawrence Kane and Ross Sullivan.

Kane really has nothing going for him and frankly I don't even know why he is a suspect.

Ross Sullivan has a bit more going for him. he worked at the library where bates was killed and the staff there thought he was her killer. Newly found handwriting of Ross seems to have a lot of similarities with the Z. also apparently the show has found new DNA evidence at scene of crimes(on bates pants and on gloves found in stines cab) and looks like they will try to match to Z and possibly Ross. I'm skeptical about ross mainly because they cant even tie him to SF area.
    Don’t know how I managed to get ALE (then again ALE = BEER) It should have read ALA of course.
    The ‘cliffhanger’ at the end of episode three was that a guy claimed that he’d cracked one of the major cyphers (is it the 340?) and at the end of it he found the word KANE.

If we had a ripper suspect with the same amount of evidence against him as there is against Allen he’d surely stand alone at the top of the tree?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X