Mary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary

This is the first version of a story I'm now re writing from the old boards.

My Name Is Mary

There was another one last night.I made Joe read it to me again and again.That makes three now this one was worse she was all cut up, ripped up the newspapers said .Some men found her just lying there at first they thought she was just passed out there they went off to find a policeman but while they were looking one came along and found her.

Her name was Polly I suppose I must have seen her in the pub sometime.Joe says not to worry about it, must be one of the gangs around here but I don't know it gives me chills when I think about it.I wonder what the coroner will say about this one maybe I'll go and see for myself.

This room might not be much but at least I feel safer here and it's more than Polly had it said she was dossing and had been in the workhouse in Lambeth.I don't know what I'd do without Joe to help me with the rent ,well,I do but I don't want to go back to that this time I'm going to stay straight get work,maybe I could be a bar maid Joe says I spend too much time in the pub still as long as Joes got work we'll be all right I'm worried about the rent though we're starting to get behind.

I made Joe read me all the reports from the Inquest.The Coroner is called Wynne Baxter,I wonder if he's Welsh.I wish I was back in Wales now.They searched the whole area and not a trace did they find of the killer.How can a man just vanish like that?It's bad enough in this place,they don't care about us if it had been some Society women who had been done away with like this the Peelers would've had him caught and hanged by now.The world doesn't care about us. I don't think they know we're here.

I can't believe it Joe's just told me there's been another already.Her name was Annie,Annie Chapman but they called her Dark Annie.I know that name I'm sure I do.They found her in Hanbury Street.It was horrible worse than the last one her throat was cut clean through.Oh,I can't bear to think about it. What kind of monster could do that to a helpless woman.

They have somebody they think has done this but they only know him as Leather Apron,that's familliar too.I've heard others talk but I never took it serious.I hope they catch him soon.

The newspapers said Annie was turned out of her lodgings because she did not have the money for a bed.Fancy turning a woman out on the streets with the last murder so fresh.Callous they are.

The rent still isn't paid.But we have an understanding.We fought about it again last night Joe doesn't understand,he's always on at me spending to much at the Pub.It's not like he never has a drink.

I have such a bad feeling.

I went there,to Hanbury Street.I had to see for myself.There was such a crowd and all of us women and children.It was hard to get a proper look and really I'm not sure I wanted to get too close to where they found her.

Some people were sure they could see bloodstains but I'm not sure,then I didn't look that close.

I know Joe would say I'm being silly but I could feel her presence there.I could feel her fear.I could feel him too,such evil such hate.

It scared me so much I had to leave.There were great crowds outside the police station too.I didn't stop though.We're all thinking the same thing any one of us could be next.Four of us dead already and still nobody caught.The police must be fools, so many of them and they can't catch one man.

I was talking to Liz,who lives upstairs,I said whenever I see a stranger look at me I wonder if it's him.She said she feels the same,Told me she's started carrying a knife ,she said I should too.If the peelers won't protect us then we have to look out for ourselves.She's right I must see about getting one.

She had her little kitten with her.Such a sweet little thing she's called him Diddles,poor little devil I suppose he'll get used to it.I'd love a kitten of my own for company.Reminds me of better days.I'm thinking of leaving here.I don't like it anymore.It's not turned out the way I imagined it would.They made me such promises and gave me things but that soon ended.

I should never have left.I was doing all right were I was but I was bored I suppose and they did make me such grand promises.

Every day that passes I keep wondering if it'll happen again.The newspapers have been saying that it has to be somebody foreign.

People aren't staying out like they used to,it's strange the streets being so quiet.Only the police about.They've brought extra in from all over the place.I hope this has scared him off,yet somehow I still feel he's out there,waiting.

I did laugh when Joe read to me how the peelers are nailing bits of rubber to the soles of their boots.They think they'll make less noise that way,who knows maybe one day we'll all have rubber on our boots.

People are setting up all sorts of committies,a Mr Lusk has started the Whitechappel Vigilance Committie.They are collecting money to offer a reward.The police won't,they say it won't help,fools,there's nothing money can't buy.

Joe and me aren't getting on so well lately.We seem to argue more than anything else.The rent is getting further behind.We'll end up on the street.I could make the money easy but Joe doesn't want me going back to that kind of life.Easy enough for him to say but I'm so worried we'll end up dossing and that's what the other poor souls were doing if they'd had a home to go to maybe they'd still be alive.

Joe doesn't like me to talk like this but I've had this feeling,a bad feeling.It got stronger after I went to Hanbury Street.Sometimes I feel as though I'm somehow connected to this,to what's happening.Joe says it's nonsense but my Gran she had the second sight she used to know things too.

I so want to leave here.I've got to get away.I know I've got to get away from here.

Oh I can't stop shaking.It's awful,it's just too awful.There've been two,two in one night.Maria got me some Brandy,she's here with me now.Joe's gone to wait for the newspapers.

The first one was in Berner Street and the second in Mitre Square.I don't know how many times I've been through there and it always gives me chills.Supposed to be haunted it is.

I wish I could stop shaking.I knew he was still here.I could feel him.Joe said I was silly saying that but now he knows.I was right.You should have seen the look on his face,went all white he did.I'm so glad Maria is here with me.

She's going to be stopping with us for a while,she was put out of her lodgings so I'm letting her stay here.Joe doesn't want her to stay but I can't let her be out on those streets.She stays.

Joe and I aren't getting on at all anymore,the rent is well past due.I don't know where we are going to end up but as long as I can help Maria I will.I won't let Jack get her.

Joe has gone.He said my letting Maria stay was the final straw.So I am back on the streets,what else can I do.He's out there and I'm out there.Joe still helps me out a bit but now he's lost his job he can only help so much.

I got a knife like Liz said to.I keep it under my apron just in case.The rent is way past due but John understands, he's good to me I suppose.

I want to get away from here.As soon as I can get enough money I am going to leave.Maybe go up North,maybe even Scotland but for sure I am leaving here before he can get to me.

I try to be careful but ,well,when I've had a little to help me through,I get careless and it's not as though I can pick and choose,not now anyway.

Maybe I should have stayed in France but he'd have gotten tired of me then where would I have been.How did I get into this mess.When I got married I didn't expect to end up a widow so young.I should have thought about it more,marrying a miner but,well no point dwelling on what might nave been.

I'm glad I'm not on my own.Maria is such good company and she doesn't chide me for my time in the pub like Joe did.She understands.Joe tried though but he doesn't know what it's like.

Well I must do what I must.I've practically no money left and I need something to eat.

I managed to get a little to eat. I managed to have a little to drink as well. Still it will set me up for my "visitor" later. Mrs Cox called out to me as I was coming in earlier,

I'm not sure she really liked my singing, on the stage that's where I should be. On the stage singing in the Music Halls. I could have grand dresses again and my own carriage. I need never worry about money again. I'm as good as any of them as are singing now. I'd never have to depend on anybody for money again.

I saw George earlier but he was broke as I am. He's still out there. Sweet on me he is.

I like to think he's watching out for me, my own little guardian angel.

I'm not sure about Mr Visitor. Still his price is right and if he should get a little rowdy

George is out there.

I should be getting ready he'll be here soon. Oh I am tired, if I didn't need the money so much I'd send him on his way but not tonight Marie, not tonight. A grand name for the stage Marie Jeanette. Maybe John could help me, I'll ask him he's got some connections he could help me. I know I could be better than all of them. Maybe when I get back from the Lord Mayors Show I'll go and talk to him. He'd know the people I should talk to.

Oh blast it, Mr Visitor is here already, sure isn't he the keen one. Well best to get it over with.

I must have fallen asleep. What are you still doing here? I told you to let yourself out. What are you doing? Oh God, oh no, oh it can't be, no.

Hello Belinda!

A nice little story, thank you!

All the best
    Jukka
    "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Working...
    X