Jane Coram's pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys,

Here is a pic I've just finished of .............well if you can't guess, there's no hope for you. As I said in the last post, a lot of people have asked how I paint them on a computer.......and they usually look at me as if I'm mad when I try to explain.........so I've done a few sheets to show how it's done, step by step, and the finished painting is at the end.

There is one thing you can help me with though. I just guessed at his eyes being brown, and couldn't think where on earth I could look to find out if that's correct. If any of you know, please let me know, and I can easily change his eyes to whatever colour they should be.

I'm going to work my way through the police department and will probably do Godley next.

Hugs

Jane

xxxxx
    I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

First steps.

I usually start of with contemporary newspaper sketches, photos (if there are any) and written descriptions. In this case it was just one newspaper sketch, but I think it's a pretty accurate one.

I usually start with the eyes because if you get them right, you're life is a lot easier. I just block in the colour with the paintbrush in Photoshop and vaguely the right colour. Then I gradually build up the depth with lighter and darker colours, using the smudge tool to blend them in. When I paint in oils it's an identical process, but I just use my finger instead of the smudge tool - coincedentally the smudge tool icon is a little finger!

xxxxx
      Attached Files
      I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

Next I block in the colour for the rest of the face, and start building up contours, using the paintbrush and smudge tool. I usually do the eyes on the same canvas, but did it separately here to make it easier to see how it was done.

xxxxxx
        Attached Files

Comment

The rest of the painting, is just working over and over the canvas until it starts to look more realistic. In an oil painting, you can get various effects such as skin texture, using different brushes and application methods, but of course in Photoshop, they have various brushes that approximate real brushes, so I just use these as I would 'real' brushes. It's actually much harder than using the real thing!

xxxxx
          Attached Files

Comment

I wasn't happy with his mouth - It looks from the sketch that Abberline had a very small mouth, and it was very close to the bottom of the nose! I think I managed to get something like it in the end, but that was the hardest part. I might have another fiddle with it, because I'm still not sure it's right. I didn't like the background colour either, so changed that. He's on the next page. Lol.

xxxxx
            Last edited by Jane Coram; 06-18-2009, 07:31 PM.

Comment

I'm still not quite happy with it, so might twiddle some more. I have a couple of profile shots of Abberline that I might have a crack at to see if that helps.
              Here he is for now though.

xxxxx
              Attached Files

Comment

Jane, these are sooo good...are you sure you're not a Wizard?

And do you do animal portraits?

I have a pink, black, red & white Appaloosa horse that would drive your virtual paint-box virtually batty!

Thanks for sharing your fabulous work & explaining a bit about your technique.

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

Right now I think I am second-guessing both Johnny Depp AND Michael Caine!

Comment

I very nearly got myself banned from casebook then Kensei......... Let's just say the Johnny Depp can investigate my crime scene any time he likes. Michael Caine can make the tea.

Hi Archaic, I'm just pm'ing you!

Much love

Jane

xxxx

Comment

That is again incredible Jane,forget Archaic's horse i have a beautiful brindle female Greyhound you can get your teeth into.
                      We are dying to get a portrait of her !!

Comment

Dear Jane,
                        I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread; not only for the great images but also for the insight you provide on the artistic process.

I have always had a soft spot for Kate and like to think that you have captured her personality. She seems to be daydreaming of fire engines (and firemen?) with a wistful, happy memory. The head and shoulders portrait of Mary is beautiful; for me at least, it helped remind me that these were real people rather than autopsy report subjects to be picked over.

And I don't know who that guy with the dog is but what a stunning piece of work! Is this your magnum opus?

Best wishes,

Steve.

Comment

Jane,

You are brilliant and your artwork is amazing!!! It takes my breath away; it is as if these people literally come alive through your work!!

You remind me of Rembrandt in your ability to build up colors and textures in your paintings through the use of layering...

Wow!!!!! Thank you for sharing your work with us....
                          Cheers,
                          cappuccina

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys!"

Comment

Agreed Caps! Jane"s the works-----amazing stuff!

Comment

Brilliant work, Jane! Bravo!

Cheers

Chris
                              Christopher T. George
                              Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                              just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                              For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                              RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Hello you all!

Yes, I agree; Jane is definitely one of the best artists on these boards!

But; some of us are gifted, but do not show their works that often!

All the best
                                Jukka
                                "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Working...
                                X