WS Magazine Dec 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adrian View Post
    For all those who have emailed me over the last week asking about how to subscribe and prices, you can find them on the WS1888 website:

But to help you out I will recapitulate: for six issues delivered to your door

UK £10 per year.

Europe £13 per year.

Rest of the World £19 per year.

Post and packaging inclusive. Our web site accepts Paypal.

ADRIAN.
    "We might not be free, but at least we are cheap!"
    Frank Zappa
    Hello

Comment

Just a small point.

I tend to think that the best thing is to publish the results of research on Casebook rather than in one of the Ripper journals. The danger of significant research "getting lost" on the discussion boards has been more or less eliminated by the addition of the Wiki section.

The only remaining potential advantage of paper publication - as far as I can see - is that material can be preserved in libraries. But as far as I can judge from the online catalogue, the only one of the surviving printed Ripper magazines that is deposited in the British Library is Ripperana. I've always been puzzled by that.

Comment

There you go Tom Westcot,

I have scanned Bill's article again and find no problem with it, nor can anyone else! Is it that you disagree with his interpretations? This is different from factual errors.

Bill is fastidious in his research and his standing in the Ripper world, and the literary world in general, is immense. His recent Ripper book was published to strong reviews and he has another book due to be published later this year.

Bill is a published author of incredible standing inside and outside the Ripper world. His reputation is based mainly on his integrity. His talent goes beyond the pedantry postings on message boards - which might be the genesis of your original criticism.

If you know of any mistakes in Bill's original Stride article you can post them up on the Casebook as an article.

Adrian.
        Hello

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian
          I have scanned Bill's article again and find no problem with it, nor can anyone else!
          Are we talking about the same article? I'm speaking about more than one article, all on Stride, published a couple of years ago. I can assure you I'm not the only one who read it who found problems with it.

I'm very aware of Bill's reputation as a great guy, and I own a first edition of his book as well as his most recent book on Bury. I'll probably buy his next as well. But Bill's reputation and literary output are not what I'm discussing here, though it seems to be your primary area of interest.

I do not at all understand your comment that I might have a problem with Bill or his work because he doesn't post on the Casebook? I hope you were not inferring that, because that's outrageous.

If I were to post a lengthy response to Bill's essays, it would be very embarrassing to him, so I'm shocked you would suggest that about your friend and chairman. It would also make me look like the 'pedant' you seem to think we Casebook posters already are.

You are the editor of the journal, are you not? You should post a warning in the upcoming issues to let readers know that if they offer any criticism on a piece they will be called names, have their character questioned, be told they were wrong, and encouraged not to subscribe to the journal. Of course, that might just be me, because I'm an American, and maybe you feel as Nick Warren does that we Yanks should stay out of 'your' perenial mystery. But I hope not.

Anyway, I don't feel I warranted such rudeness simply because I commented on a series of unworthy articles, particularly from the editor of the journal.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I can't belive that a missing 'r' has created all this debate.

We've been to the 2090 Conference, publications lodged at the BL depositry, critique of an article Bill Beadle wrote yonks ago, money raised for the Beadle Charity etc etc

This started off as Phil Hutchinson winding up his co-writer Rob Clack. Lets all calm down here.

And as an aside I have just heard that 1 hour ago I became a grandmother for the 3rd time.

Time to go and celebrate - the first drink is on me and to wish a long life to Elliott.

Coral

Comment

Good to see you back Coral,
              missed you at conference,
              All the Best
              Norma

Comment

Thanks Nats but I never been away - just taking a ride in the back seat.

Everyone else should do the same and think before they post.

Coral

Comment

Coral,

I agree. I think it's time for you to 'switch seats' with Adrian for a while. And congrats on the 3rd grandchild!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Thanks for that Tom - but no one could take Adrian's place as far as I am concerned he is the most respected person on the WS team.

And any way I am no longer on the WS team.

Coral
                    Last edited by coral; 01-07-2010, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Hi Coral, I didn't mean 'switch seats' as editor, nothing that drastic. I just meant as WS mouthpiece here, since he's a bit defensive. And I didn't know you were no longer associated with the WS.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Actually I wholeheartedly agree.Coral did a really brilliant job regarding WS and deserves a big thankyou for all her time and effort as well as the skill and research she put into her articles over the years .Thanks Carol and congratulations on the new addition to your family!
                        Best
                        Norma

Comment

I have just gone back to the 1st post on this thread - it was Robert and not Philip who first pointed out the missing 'r'.

The 2nd post was Clacky who had no problem with it and raised a joke .

So what is the problem with all the other posters!

Coral

Comment

Nothing. They're all making jokes about it.

Comment

Coral,

If you look back, you'll see the first poster to cause a 'problem' was the overanxious Adrian, God bless him. And I second what Nat said. I always enjoyed your work in Rip and in the WS issues I have.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Scott

Have you really read all the posts here or have you just jumped in on the last one you saw?

Coral

Comment

Working...
                                X