Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
    Debs, Stephen,
    I think people should not lose sight of the fact that we are not necessarily trying to prove that someone was or wasn't Jack the Ripper, but are trying to establish why they were suspected.
    Hear hear!

Comment

Originally posted by mariab View Post
      Haven't had the time to read about Cutbush
      Here's a taste from the old boards, Maria.

You have to click to the start of the thread.

allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Thanks so much. I'll have a look at it when I manage. Am terribly behind on my Rip readings, incredibly busy organizing the details for my conf in Paris in June. Plus was hoping to go away on the extended weekend of May 1st with some guys and surf the Southwest of France, but prob not, it's too rainy/stormy/onshore. If we don't go away, I might find some time for Ripperology. :-)
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

Hi Paul,

"I think people should not lose sight of the fact that we are not necessarily trying to prove that someone was or wasn't Jack the Ripper, but are trying to establish why they were suspected."

Indeed. And especially so, seeing as there was no such person as Jack the Ripper.

Regards,

Simon
          Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
            Indeed. And especially so, seeing as there was no such person as Jack the Ripper.
            Ah! But thus far that's an opinion rather than fact, and it's seemingly unsupported by any evidence and is contrary to the opinion of many policemen who were there at the time, but it's an interesting idea and I await a clear exposition of the facts upon which it is based.

Comment

Hi Paul,

Of course it's contrary to the incompatible opinions of many policemen who were there at the time.

However, between them lies the key to the mystery behind the Whitechapel murders.

Regards,

Simon
              Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

no recent connection

Hello Debs.

"Well I used to think he was a possible when I read a summary of AP's work, then when it was discovered there was no police/family connection cover-up I went off him a bit. "

Same here.

The incorrect information? Perhaps they were worried about the possible connection?

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Mac

Hello Maria. A good bit of mac's information seems off. (But see Hainsworth on that. He may well be right about "devious Mac.")

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

Hi Paul,

Of course it's contrary to the incompatible opinions of many policemen who were there at the time.

However, between them lies the key to the mystery behind the Whitechapel murders.

Regards,

Simon
                    As said, I await a clear exposition with interest.

Comment

there was no such person as Jack the Ripper.

Time to put up or shut up, Simon.

(with respect)

Comment

Mac cheese?

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                        Hello Maria. A good bit of mac's information seems off. (But see Hainsworth on that. He may well be right about "devious Mac.")
                        Absolutely. What I'm trying to decide is if this was simply the laziness/arrogance of a pen pusher or the orchestrated effort of a politician. I tend to suspect the latter, thus might agree with Jonathan Hainsworth on this particular point. (Though I wouldn't necessarily call that "devious". When dealing with the press to protect the police's good name, one's gotta do what one's gotta do.)
                        And by the by, I KNOW where the original letter might be, and was hoping/waiting that someone would contact the person who might still have it. Might end up doing it myself. (Through a University, not through a publisher.)
                        I wish that your second Ripperological article is about something related to the anarchists rather than about the Ripper supposedly not having existed. I'd rather read you on something I agree with and which makes a lot of sense! (Though I'll most certainly read your piece when I get a minute.)
                        Best regards,
                        Maria

Comment

Okhrana

Hello Maria. Thanks.

Rachkovski bungled the whole Vasiliev affair. He was off in his timing by a month. Hence, his stock is down.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

Lynn, a quick highjack. Totally agree about Rachkovsky and Vassiliev and wish you could help me find Rachkovsky's bank account.
                            Best regards,
                            Maria

Comment

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
                              Debs, Stephen,
                              I think people should not lose sight of the fact that we are not necessarily trying to prove that someone was or wasn't Jack the Ripper, but are trying to establish why they were suspected.

Cutbush seems to have thought he was suspected of being Jack the Ripper, at least if we accept the story of "W.K." as recited in The Sun and seemingly confirmed by Lloyds, to the effect that Cutbush said “that they say I am Jack the Ripper – but I am not, though all their insides are open and their bowels are all out. I am a medical man, you know, but not Jack the Ripper – you must not think I am. But they do, and they are after me, and the runners are after me, for they want the £500 which is offered for my capture, and I have only been cutting up girls and laying them out.”

I think the "cutting up girls" refers to the crude illustrations he had done, but, whilst appreciating that he was a battery short of a working flashlight, he clearly thought - and probably rightly - that he was a suspect. I, too, seem to have missed where "W.K.'s" story and Cutbush's beliefs were addressed in Simon's article. I'd appreciate it is someone could draw my attention to this.
                              With respect, Paul, it seems that there were two young men accused of exactly the same crime. One got a slap on the wrist and the other got confined for life in the asylum for criminal lunatics..

Something else was going on here.

It's our job to find out what that was.

Comment

bank account

Hello Maria. Tsk, a lady wanting to get into a guy's bank account. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                                LC

Comment

Working...
                                X