Ripperologist 122: September 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lynn,

Thank you for taking the time to find that post and share it. Very interesting. I'm curious to know which 'one' murder Trevor feels Feigenbaum is most likely responsible for. Here's the relevant portion of his post in case anyone cares.

As far as my suspect Feigenbaum is concerned I have had the balls to publicly retract some of what I wrote previoulsy. My stance now is that as far as Feigenbaum is concerned I do not think he was responsible for all of the murders. However it is quite probable that he was concerned in one or some of them.

He couldnt have been Jack The Ripper nor could any of the others because as we know the name was created by the press and in doing so created a myth which is still with us today. Take the name away and what are you left with a series of similar unsloved murders. There was no Jack The Ripper

Now if i have the balls to be honest and go public and to be fair to Martin Fido he has done the same by stating he does not beleive Aaaron Kosmimski was the ripper then others on here should consider going public to and admit they are now wrong about Aaron Kosminski.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Writers needed

I'd like to echo Joe's sentiments that more posters, writers, and researchers, with something to say, should start submitting more well-researched Ripper articles to the journals. I often come across neat pieces of info, or just good and original insights, usually buried in dense threads, the soon float away and are forgotten. If you think your idea is good, others would likely feel the same way, so why not flesh it out, research, show it to a few people, and see if the editors want to publish it? Couldn't hurt. If it's about Berner Street, you have to come through me first though, or suffer the wrath of my 'Letter to the Editor'.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. Mike, tell Joe THANK YOU for the researcher referral. I save his website to my favorites in case I need him.

Comment

Eddowes

Hello Tom. Thanks.

I wonder if Eddowes would be his choice? Guess I'd better not put words in his mouth.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
          I'd like to echo Joe's sentiments that more posters, writers, and researchers, with something to say, should start submitting more well-researched Ripper articles to the journals. I often come across neat pieces of info, or just good and original insights, usually buried in dense threads, the soon float away and are forgotten. If you think your idea is good, others would likely feel the same way, so why not flesh it out, research, show it to a few people, and see if the editors want to publish it? Couldn't hurt. If it's about Berner Street, you have to come through me first though, or suffer the wrath of my 'Letter to the Editor'.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. Mike, tell Joe THANK YOU for the researcher referral. I save his website to my favorites in case I need him.
          Hear! Hear! Also, articles are far easier to cite, so there is less excuse for work not being credited, and there is always the possibility of data loss on a message board.

Comment

It's not merely a possibility, it's happened many times that data was lost. And speaking as a writer myself, it's SOOOO much easier to cite a journal, or remember where I read something. Also, I then know what a writer's sources are and go seek those out myself. I'm not suggesting writers stop talking on message boards...quite the contrary.

As a note to editors, I think sometimes things don't get submitted because the researcher feels it's too short, or feels some burden to turn it into a lengthy article, or maybe they're afraid that because they're not as good a writer as Joe Chetcuti, they'd embarrass themselves. Or maybe they just don't think it's important.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

It's not merely a possibility, it's happened many times that data was lost. And speaking as a writer myself, it's SOOOO much easier to cite a journal, or remember where I read something. Also, I then know what a writer's sources are and go seek those out myself. I'm not suggesting writers stop talking on message boards...quite the contrary.

As a note to editors, I think sometimes things don't get submitted because the researcher feels it's too short, or feels some burden to turn it into a lengthy article, or maybe they're afraid that because they're not as good a writer as Joe Chetcuti, they'd embarrass themselves. Or maybe they just don't think it's important.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
              Personally, one of the problems I find with the message boards is that nuggets of information get submerged under discussion, some of which is often irrelevant, and I'd love to see that information presented in one or all the journals (who cares about duplication!). One of the reasons Ripperana was created was to provide somewhere where people could publish snippets of research, and whilst the internet has superseded that need to a great extent, we're in a position of information overload an need a digest of some sort. As for writing ability, most of the mags have a team of people accomplished at that who can and do tidy up contributions with the respective authors.

Comment

Information overload is absolutely the way to put it. Some people apparently don't have day jobs and spend quite a bit of time on the Ripper sites. Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury, and my time is limited, so I don't read all the threads and don't read or post as quickly as I used to. Many a time, if not for the kindly PM or e-mail drawing my attention to something of interest to me, I'd miss it. You saw that earlier on this thread with Lynn!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Paul,

As for writing ability, most of the mags have a team of people accomplished at that who can and do tidy up contributions with the respective authors.

We even tidied up our fellow editors' offerings as I recall.

But what you and Tom say is quite true. A magazine article, as opposed to a post on the fora, not only benefits from editing and formatting, but is presented with illustrations, maps, charts or other aids to comprehension and offers a greater permanence.

Don.
                  "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Originally posted by Supe View Post
                    Paul,

As for writing ability, most of the mags have a team of people accomplished at that who can and do tidy up contributions with the respective authors.

We even tidied up our fellow editors' offerings as I recall.

But what you and Tom say is quite true. A magazine article, as opposed to a post on the fora, not only benefits from editing and formatting, but is presented with illustrations, maps, charts or other aids to comprehension and offers a greater permanence.

Don.
                    Don, nowing my own weaknesses when it comes to wot I writed, I intentionally avoided any suggestion that I was one of the "accomplished" ones!

Comment

Information overload is absolutely the way to put it. Some people apparently don't have day jobs and spend quite a bit of time on the Ripper sites. Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury, and my time is limited, so I don't read all the threads and don't read or post as quickly as I used to. Many a time, if not for the kindly PM or e-mail drawing my attention to something of interest to me, I'd miss it. You saw that earlier on this thread with Lynn!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                      And, of course, it's easy to miss the significance of something and then not bother with the thread, or find oneself having to backtrack through it and the accompanying dross to follow the salient points.

Comment

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

I certainly will Tom and I echo your comments. Also, if you think you might want to research and write an article for the first time, these seasoned ripperologists love to help out. I know this to be true, because that's what I did.

Sincerely,
                        Mike
                        The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
                        http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

Paul,

Don, nowing my own weaknesses when it comes to wot I writed, I intentionally avoided any suggestion that I was one of the "accomplished" ones!

Editing you was never a chore because (see above) you have a sense of humor and it often shows through in your writing. There were, however, a few contributors who were deadly earnest about their subject and whose prose was both earnest and deadly.

Don.
                          "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Originally posted by mklhawley
                            I certainly will Tom and I echo your comments. Also, if you think you might want to research and write an article for the first time, these seasoned ripperologists love to help out. I know this to be true, because that's what I did.
                            Thanks, Mike. If I ever decide to take that leap and write something, I'll keep that in mind.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Supe View Post
                              Paul,

Editing you was never a chore because (see above) you have a sense of humor and it often shows through in your writing. There were, however, a few contributors who were deadly earnest about their subject and whose prose was both earnest and deadly.

Don.
                              Listen, if there is anybody our there who makes my writing look better then I'm all for it. It makes me look better after all. Mind you, if there is anybody out there who makes my writing look worse, then I can stamp my little foot and scream and scream and scream until I'm sick. And I can.

Comment

Thanks, Mike. If I ever decide to take that leap and write something, I'll keep that in mind.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                                Sorry Tom! I just reread my post and it certainly does sound like I was commenting to you The 'you' was for first time writers.

Mike
                                The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
                                http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

Working...
                                X