Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photograph

Originally posted by KatBradshaw View Post
    Sorry if I'm being thick, I can't find where you say where Don's identification comes from? The issue over the jubilee medals is pretty strong. Why would they be wearing them 2 years later? Just hoped for some clarification.
    The dating of the photograph has nothing to do with the identification of the man in the apron as the constable/cook. The date of the photograph has relevance only as a matter of interest and the possible estimation of the age of the man claimed to possibly be Brown, i.e. it was eleven years on from 1888, the date of the drawn portraits of Brown.

There is no issue over the Jubilee medals as far as I am aware. Officers who had been awarded medals were entitled to wear them when in uniform for posed photographs or special occasions (thus not all of the men in the photograph are wearing medals). After I was awarded my police long service and good conduct medal I was entitled to wear it on formal or special occasions, or on parades at any time, right up to my retirement. The date of 1899 for the photograph was presumed by the fact that it accompanied another photograph, of Moor Lane Police Station, which showed posters dated 1899.

As regards Don's identification of the man as a constable/cook, this is a result of the fact that he was a serving City of London Police Officer for over thirty years, he is the author of the City Police history I Spy Blue, he was for many years curator of the City Police Museum, he found and rescued this photograph and many others and told me that the permanent constable/cook position survived until his time in the job.

This is my last word on this as I now wish that I hadn't posted anything in the first place.
    SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

• Sorry, still confused. Does Don recognise him from other pics then? Or is there something which indicates who he is on the picture?
      In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

• Unforgivable

Originally posted by KatBradshaw View Post
        Sorry, still confused. Does Don recognise him from other pics then? Or is there something which indicates who he is on the picture?
        I am sorry that you are confused. When I was asked to give an opinion on this photograph I said that my view was that it was not Dr F. Gordon Brown in the photograph and that the man with the apron was probably a cook.

Having recently spent a few days with Don Rumbelow I mentioned the photograph. He stated that there was no way that the man with the apron was Brown, but that the man would have been the station cook, as described above. I suppose that this will be viewed as merely Don's opinion. But in this instance it is expert opinion, which I why I quoted Don's credentials above, and why I (for my part) am willing to regard it as the final word.

I have already admitted that I was abjectly wrong to state that this was the final word on this subject and such an error is, of course, unforgivable (especially here). I am now at the stage that I really do not give a monkey's toss about how anyone regards this photograph and I wish to leave it at that.

I would now appreciate people not asking for my opinion on anything at all.
        SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

• Thanks for that! Cleared up where the ID came from! I'm easily confused I guess!
          In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

Working...
          X