Im not so sure he did.

Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
      Now ain't that the pot calling the kettle black.
      Well i guess you would know all about pots and kettles coming from the backwoods of Tennesse.

Have a nice day

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
        Well i guess you would know all about pots and kettles coming from the backwoods of Tennesse.
        Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear

Hi Hunter

Please do not associate other Brits with that utterly stupid comment.
        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Originally posted by Monty
          However I think he his stating his favourite out of the 3, not his overall preferred suspect.
          I thought I was the only one who thought this.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by DVV
            I doubt it, Tom.
            Ostrog was too well known to the police to have been confused with anyone.
            Macnaghten quickly portrayed him as a dangerous maniac to make his memo more glamour, when in fact he knew nothing whatsoever that could link poor Ostrog to the Ripper murders.

"Unquestionably a homicidal maniac"..."habitually cruel to women"...and of course, he had "surgical knives"...
            A fourth Macnaghten suspect would have been furnished with a gladstone bag.
            Hi DVV. You hit on the problem here. Ostrog was not a homicidal maniac, habitually cruel to women, or known to possess knives, whereas Le Grand was all of these things. Le Grand is known from other sources to have been taken seriously by Scotland Yard as a Ripper suspect, whereas Ostrog is not. Both men were foreign, were exceptionally tall for the time (Le Grand 6ft and Ostrog 5ft 11in), were adept thieves, apparently went by the alias 'Grant' around the same time, and there are other similarities as well. I could see the alias problem causing some confusion amongst reports.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

To Monty

I agree with you in the sense that a strong, historical case can be made that Mac's preferred suspect, all along, was in fact Dr Tumblety, concealed inside the 'Drowned Doctor' mythos -- with poor Druitt, a minor suspect, utilized as a Trojan Horse to the Home Office.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan H
                I agree with you in the sense that a strong, historical case can be made that Mac's preferred suspect, all along, was in fact Dr Tumblety
                Surely that's not what Monty was suggesting. There's no link to Tumblety, unless you've found something...ANYTHING...to suggest he headed a plot to assassinate Balfour.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                  Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear

Hi Hunter

Please do not associate other Brits with that utterly stupid comment.
                  Hi Stephen,

I don't at all. The greatest reward that I have garnered from my long standing interest in JTR is what I've subsequently learned about British culture and history- the East End in particular. It enabled me to enter a world far removed from my own. If we never find out who JTR was I am satisfied in the related knowledge that I have acquired as a result, and the many friends I've obtained in the process.

Having said that, I believe Trevor had every right to respond to my comment, as I had every right to point out what I perceived as hypocrisy. Though I believe him to be wrong in many aspects of this case, I must admire his perseverance to his convictions.
                  Last edited by Hunter; 03-11-2010, 11:46 PM.
                  Best Wishes,
                  Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Jonathan,

It seems as if you do misunderstand me.

Regards
                    Monty
                    Monty

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

Have a nice day

Comment

• Monty,

I am happy to put the argument for Macnaghten and Tumblety, as concisely as I can, but only if you were interested, and I quite understand if you are not.

Comment

• Jonathan,

I think it was Tom who requested for your reasoning on this matter however my interest is also aroused.

I suggest you create a new thread for this subject as I suspect there may be a few opinions on this.

And hold nothing back, theres no need to self edit and condense. You'll open yourself up to all sorts of accusations if you do.

Good luck.

Monty
                          Monty

Comment

Working...
                          X