January 2008 issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• January 2008 issue

I was reading the article on the Udderzook - Goss case in the issue. An interesting, if forgotten example (as Chris George points out) about the lack of solid forensics in 19th Century investigations - particularly in identifying bodies. Years ago I read an article in American Heritage Magazine about a similar case involving the death (by accidental gunshot?) of one John Hillmon, a heavily insured gentleman. Unfortunately, despite a photograph or two of the corpse, several people it was somebody named Frederick Walters or Waters. The insurance companies fought the family of Hillmon on the matter up to the U.S. Supreme Court, who rendered a decision for the family about 1897. The entire case became another rallying point by the populists of the day against the wealthy eastern interests.

Also, I noticed that Udderzook's defense counsel was Wayne McVeagh. Udderzook had good taste in defense counsel. McVeagh (even though he lost this case) was such a good lawyer he became Attorney General of the U.S. under President James Garfield.

Best wishes,

Jeff
Working...
X