Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richard:

"So Hutchinson was 'one day off' , so too then was ... Maxwell"

It would appear so, Richard. And Maxwells mistake (though I know that you want to leave that particular door ajar), has of course contributed to the failure to realize the very obvious possibility of Hutchinsons ditto. Somehow, it has passed for sound matematics that one person fills the quota and leaves no further space for the same sort of mistake.

The best,
    Fisherman

Comment

Maria:

"no idea who this Clive Johnson dude is/was"

Long story, Maria - long story. And quite an amusing one at that! Maybe some other day...!

Michael Beers? Dunno.

"you should see the HUGE pieces of nice smelling red snapper and other fish I have in my fridge right now. I'm gonna grill them later tonight with dry herbs from J-Bay AND white wine from Stellenbosch, South Africa and have a DVD-fest."

Envious. Just plain envious. Lucky, lucky you. And Stellenbosch wine, at that!

The best,
      Fisherman

Comment

Glad you enjoyed the article, Mike.

I wasn't holding up the highest of hopes that I'd be converting you any time soon, but glad it was of some interest, at least.

I now very much look forward to reading the other articles!

I once remarked that a piece in a jigsaw puzzle must not only fit, but it must fit with a proper "snap." Another one has.
        So you also think that Hutchinson got the wrong day, Lynn?

Okay.

Best wishes,

Ben

Comment

Richardnunweek wrote:
          Two independant witnesses, with similar accounts of their encounters with the victim, suggest no mistake was made.

I'm curious to hear what others will say to this, and I'd very much like to see Abberline's surviving covering report from Hutchinson's questioning. Can somebody direct me to where I can see this report? Maybe in The ultimate, or in something (else) published by SPE? Incidentally, I very much doubt that Hutchinson saw Mary Kelly on November 9th, 1888. Will this soon become a Toppy thread, so you can put on your bulletproof vest, Lynn?
          Best regards,
          Maria

Comment

weather or not

Hello Ben. Well, he certainly seems to have gotten the wrong meteorological conditions for that day.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Maria,

Don't want you to lose any sleep. The Michael Beers mention was an inside joke to Monty (Neil Bell). Beers is a relatively untried cricket bowler Australia has named to its team for tomorrow's third Test Match. But I do hope everyone notices the "On The Case--Backstory" item that Neil alerted us to.

Don.
              "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Maria:

"I'd very much like to see Abberline's surviving covering report from Hutchinson's questioning."

Who wouldn´t? But it has not survived, alas! The police interwiew, as taken down by Badham, plus Abberlines letter to his superiors stating that he had interrogated Hutchinson and believed he told the truth is all there is.

The best,
                Fisherman

Comment

Don writes:

"The Michael Beers mention was an inside joke to Monty (Neil Bell). Beers is a relatively untried cricket bowler Australia has named to its team for tomorrow's third Test Match."

Aha - an inside joke about cricket. No wonder I couldn´t crack that nut.

The best,
                  Fisherman

Comment

Hi Lynn,

I'm not sure what you mean. As far as I know, Hutchinson never commented on that day's weather.

All the best,
                    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                      Richard:

"So Hutchinson was 'one day off' , so too then was ... Maxwell"

It would appear so, Richard. And Maxwells mistake (though I know that you want to leave that particular door ajar), has of course contributed to the failure to realize the very obvious possibility of Hutchinsons ditto. Somehow, it has passed for sound matematics that one person fills the quota and leaves no further space for the same sort of mistake.

The best,
                      Fisherman
                      Hi fish
                      Forgive me if I am missing something here.
                      Why does Hutch being a day off mean that maxwell had to be a day off? Could not he be a day off, but maxwell still see MK the morning of her murder?

Comment

Fisherman wrote:
                        And Stellenbosch wine, at that!

Wow, you know Stellenbosch?!! I was there in July, for a conference and teaching at their conservatory and at the township (ex ghetto) high school, and now I have good friends there, especially a girl. Not in a great hurry to go back there though, 'cause of the issue with the sharks in the water. Plus the plane ticket's not cheap, the “cheap“ one I found was just under 900–€.
                        The wine was relatively cheap, under 6-€.
                        Best regards,
                        Maria

Comment

Hi Mariab,
                          I have no wish for it to be a 'Topping thread' but I would like the brains of Casebook to explain where that quotation came from, ie 'Her eyed looked queer , as if suffering from a heavy cold'. for it has never been released, apart from ' Yours truely' since I read it on a train to Hove greyhounds in 1974/5.
                          I should explain it was at a time when I was deeply involved in Ripper Research, and read many articles, and it is conceivable that fiction came in front of me, but McCormack suggests otherwise, by quoting a similar reference from Maxwell, many years prior.
                          Regards Richard.

Comment

Abby:

"Forgive me if I am missing something here.
                            Why does Hutch being a day off mean that maxwell had to be a day off? Could not he be a day off, but maxwell still see MK the morning of her murder?"

Of course! If we allow ourselves to look away from the medical evidence - which was never an exact science - then that may be the case. That is exactly what I am saying: each case on it´s own!
                            I wanted, though, to point out that it would seem that the more or less general acceptance that Maxwell was a day off has influenced people´s readiness to accept that the same could have applied to Hutchinson too!

The best,
                            Fisherman

Comment

Corey! Sharing the front cover with Tom. Awesome! Now, it's time to read.

Mike
                              The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
                              http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

To Supe:
                                Thanks so much for explaining, Don. I don't have a clue to save my life about cricket (or baseball), and I'm afraid it instantly puts me to sleep. But Aussie rules football, now that's what I call a (contact) sport. None of that p*ss* Yankee football crap where the momma's boys spot tons of protective gear.

Supe wrote:
                                But I do hope everyone notices the "On The Case--Backstory" item that Neil alerted us to.

Sounds like a fun new feature, if Backstory makes a sporting link between 1888 and today. The NRD channel on German TV has a late night show which features the news bulletins from 20 years ago to the day. It's much fun. And sometimes tragically embarrassing, because you see things coming which noone was able to predict.

richardnunweek wrote:
                                I would like the brains of Casebook to explain where that quotation came from, ie 'Her eyed looked queer , as if suffering from a heavy cold'. for it has never been released, apart from ' Yours truely' since I read it on a train to Hove greyhounds in 1974/5.
                                I should explain it was at a time when I was deeply involved in Ripper Research, and read many articles, and it is conceivable that fiction came in front of me, but McCormack suggests otherwise, by quoting a similar reference from Maxwell, many years prior.

I SO wish I could help with the quote in question, but I'm a newbie, particularly on Hutch.

Fisherman wrote:
                                Quote Maria:
                                Maria:
                                "I'd very much like to see Abberline's surviving covering report from Hutchinson's questioning."
                                Who wouldn´t? But it has not survived, alas! The police interwiew, as taken down by Badham, plus Abberlines letter to his superiors stating that he had interrogated Hutchinson and believed he told the truth is all there is.

It appears that the covering report (or at least part of it) has survived, as Monty (Neil Bell) claims. I wish that Monty turned up and explained. I'd also be interested in case an Abberline covering report had survived about Barnett, whom I should confess I strongly suspect. Now give it to me, from all sides.
                                Last edited by mariab; 12-15-2010, 10:17 PM.
                                Best regards,
                                Maria

Comment

Working...
                                X