Casebook Examiner No. 4 (October 2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

prepositions 'n' more

Hello Caz. In that case, my bowler's off to you.

What you said about prepositions was offered to me by a student 20 years ago when I chastised her for splitting infinitive verbs--"that's a holdover from Latin."

My take is that prepositions must take objects, else there is no prepositional phrase. But if one terminates the sentence with a preposition, where is the object to be placed?

Thus I recall the old rule:

"Prepositions should never be used to end sentences with." (heh-heh)

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Protohistorian wrote:
      I will say this however, language is a living thing. Change is inevitable. While our versions of English differ, they are not yet mutually unintelligible.

Completely agree: Language is a naturally, “organically“ evolving entity, and as such it cannot be controlled. And, Lynn, one cannot speak of “being bilingual“ between British English and American English.
      Best regards,
      Maria

Comment

David Gates is a fine writer and Don Souden is a fine Editor and chief. What's all the talk about typos every time an issue comes out? Man alive.

Phil Carter,

I hear what you're saying about Jabez's Mitre Square faux pas, but keep in mind that he was writing that from hearsay, only having been out of prison weeks at the time of writing. But his notes and conversations regarding the Whitechapel murders occurred prior to his going to prison (which I believe was 1895). So you really can't judge the one from the other. But of course you're correct in that his second and third-hand information must be taken with caution. I would think that is true with any source.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

typos

Hello Tom. No typos to be found and no discussion of them (as far as I know). Caz won't permit them.

I was sharing a light hearted moment with Don about degrees of uniquesness. He apologised--in Latin no less.

Seriously, this is all a backhanded compliment to both Don and Caz. Their writing standards are very high, and that's grist for my mill.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
            Hello Caz. In that case, my bowler's off to you.

What you said about prepositions was offered to me by a student 20 years ago when I chastised her for splitting infinitive verbs--"that's a holdover from Latin."
            Hi Lynn,

Bright student you had there. In Latin, of course, an infinitive is a single word so splitting it would not have applied in Rome anyway. It's not a rule as such these days, more a matter of style. If it sounds horrible to boldly split an infinitive, then avoid doing so. But there are occasions where splitting is quite fitting.

Love,

Caz
            X
            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
              I was sharing a light hearted moment with Don about degrees of uniquesness. He apologised--in Latin no less.
              By the way, Lynn, Don apologised because that's just the kind of guy he is. As I explained there was no need in this instance, since 'quite' was not used in a 'degree' sense. It was used in the 'undoubtedly' or 'quite surely' sense.

As I'm quite sure you can see from reading the complete sentence.

Love,

Caz
              X
              Last edited by caz; 10-19-2010, 12:04 PM.
              "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

to boldly go . . .

Hello Caz.

"In Latin, of course, an infinitive is a single word so splitting it would not have applied in Rome anyway."

Precisely. And that is why we must not separate them. What Cicero hath joined together let no man put asunder.

Seriously, in my dottage I have begun to neglect the rule--to my horror!

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

tribute

Hello (again) Caz. I think Don apologised because he, too, has a great sense of humour.

In all seriousness, if degrees of uniqueness were the worst transgression of all written boo boos, what a tribute that would be! Hence, when I read posts and see (for example) apostrophes with a certain possessive pronoun, "it's," I cringe and, like Graham Chapman, avert my eyes.

That I even mentioned "quite unique" is a tribute to Don (and you)--REALLY!

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

well done

Hello Dave. I forgot to praise your Examiner article. That may be because I was fortunate enough to have read an early copy.

This kind of research is long overdue.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

You will love act two

I have mapped crimes listed on the old bailey online, I need more online sources or a london cohort to proceed. The results are surprising, even for me. Dave
                      We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

Joking aside, I was really impressed by this publication particularly the content but also the sheer professionalism of the publication ....and by the way I think Caz did a brilliant job! Mind this doesnt surprise me much because of all the contributors over the years, Caz surpasses many of us when it comes to being able to liven up a phrase!But being a talented writer doesnt always mean someone will be equally talented as an editor---as is the case here!

Comment

Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
                          I have mapped crimes listed on the old bailey online, I need more online sources or a london cohort to proceed. The results are surprising, even for me. Dave
                          Chris might help Dave----I don"t think I have the time at the moment, Good Luck though,it sounds fascinating.AP Wolf did a fair bit in this regard before he "left"![and they were some amazing cases he dug up too!]
                          Norma

Comment

All our editors--Jen, Caz, even Don--do a splendid job and back each other up throughout the editing process. That said, prolonging this discussion would seem a disservice to our contributors. I am assuredly biased, but I think the latest issue contains a lot of interesting articles, reviews and other features and they, rather than editing nuances, ought to be fodder for discussion.

Don.
                            "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

That D.M. Gates seems like one fart smella......ummmm....stoopid dyslexia, smart fella. Dave
                              We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

Hi Don,indeed ofcourse yourself and Jenny---and all your contributors did a really splendid job! No question.
                                I just knew from a discussion with Caz at the WS mtg that she worked extremely hard on the issue and put many, many hours into it, so it seemed only fair to redress the balance a bit here and say something ---aside from the fun quips---just how great the final product was and how brilliantly she---and all of you---had done----!
                                Last edited by Natalie Severn; 10-19-2010, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X