Casebook Examiner No. 2 (June 2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Tom,

1. It isn't paranoid Tom. That is YOUR description. I only hoped it wasn't what you were doing.

2. I use Ancestry in the course of genealogy research, and came across your name in conjunction with that. I wouldn't google you if I did have the time to do so, because I have far better things to do, so don't make assumptions.

3. Are you having problems understanding clear interpretation of the word respect Tom? Discussing PRIVATE conversation is WAY out of order..."We know who they are?"...really?..who is "we" Tom? and how do you get into my PRIVATE email account Tom to "know"? You had better have some damned good answers for this one.

4. Neither am I self righteous...just perhaps a little more respectful and clearly holding a far better understanding of public behaviour than the likes of your good self, it would appear.

respectfully

Phil
    Last edited by Phil Carter; 07-16-2010, 02:21 AM. Reason: spelling
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
      ....or else you'll find yourself going the way of Michael Richards. Congratulations, your attempt to piss me off has worked.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
      Hello Tom,

Meaning what exactly?

Phil
      Last edited by Phil Carter; 07-16-2010, 02:06 AM.
      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
      Accountability? ....

Comment

• Wow! You guys are starting to remind me of my colleagues , and of some conferences I've had the misfortune of attending. (I'm lamenting the bore/embarrassment factor over the fights of others here, not any fights of my own!) No wonder I've currently escaped to South Africa, where they are still too involved in sorting out the traumata of colonialism and of the apartheid, to dare fight about pettier things...
        I promise I'll also read anything I find by Simon Wood too, although I have to say that after the experience of the debate in this thread I just hope he's managed to grasp the investigative procedurals in his articles?/his book?.
        “Capisce?“, “ninnies“, “cyberbullies“, I just LOVE colorful language! Tom, you're starting to remind me of Spike (in BtVS). Is this a direct reference?! And I only thought that Brits said “ninnies“.
        By the way, since we're showing off our muscles (on which I would absolutely win: surfer here!) and testosterone is flying around in the air, my own publications list is 3 pages long, I've just checked and I'm currently at 21 articles (with 7 of them still in preparation, stuck at the editor's or not having reached the editor yet), plus 3 books due (one manuscript I'm supposed to finish polishing in August, a translation of the same book in American-English planned for the near future, and another book in preparation, on which I should already start writing at some point in 2011 – if I'm still around by then.). So, to paraphrase Tom (albeit in American-English) “Eat that, p.....s. Now who's da man?“
        By the way, and despite all the determined plans for future publications, I'm having the greatest difficulty motivating myself into having a look at my paper to be presented tomorrow, which needs timing and more cuts. (I have 30' min. at my disposition + 10' min. for questions, but from experience I know I should cut the 30' min. into 25', because things tend to get delayed, and it's too painful to decide which things to leave out when the clock is ticking.) But I fear that right now my most natural inclination is to research the succulent Pinotage I'm drinking right now in my room, which is a red wine created here in Stellenbosch by the cross-pollinating of Pinot Noir with another fine French grape. (Or so I learned today, and here speaketh the newbie again.) I'm also eating a pinotage sausage, for which I haven't totally grasped the process, but it tastes kinda sweet instead of salty. Plus every evening someone leaves a fresh decanter of local brandy in my room, and I feel very bad when I can't finish it all...

originally posted by mariab
        “small-framed, old like the mountains, and with biggish ears“
        Tom Wescott wrote:
        Watch out for flying staplers from Stewart and Simon. Packer was 58.

Well, I was referring to 1888, when 58 was like 78 today. I think that today one should be considered youthful and able until at least 68. This considerably widens the gene pool too! As for the immaturity factor, it always stays on anyway, so I'm afraid age has nothing to do with it.
        Now off to my paper (for real!!)
        Last edited by mariab; 07-16-2010, 03:05 AM.
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
          Hi Maria,

Boy o boy, you've really got it in for Packer.

That there was more than one female corpse at the mortuary was merely a supposition to challenge Stewart's assumption that Stride was alone. We don't know, and it doesn't really matter. Packer identified Stride, and the Senior Assistant Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police recorded the fact.

When did it become a lie?

By the way, Eddowes was at a different mortuary–Golden Lane– which Packer visited on 3rd October.

Regards,

Simon
          Hi Simon

Another reason why I find it hard to beleive Packers story is this:

Given his seemingly strong willingness to tell what he saw that night to whomever would listen, wouldn't he have made darn sure that when White came around he would have proactively told him what he saw (eventhough he said White only poked around and did not ask him any questions about what he saw)?

Comment

• Originally posted by mariab
            Tom, you're starting to remind me of Spike (in BtVS).
            I'll take that as a compliment, although I wish more girls in my daily life thought that! I did used to wear a long black trench, though!

Originally posted by mariab
            And I only thought that Brits said “ninnies“.
            That's true, but 12 years on the Casebook and one picks up such things.

Good luck on the paper. I wasn't flexing any sort of muscle by mentioning my 15 or so essays, but when cyberbully Phil Carter tried to be insulting by suggesting that Simon and I aren't writers because we haven't published a book, I defined the term and stated that when I DO publish a book I will be promoted to 'author', and will join the ranks of folks such as yourself.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Hi,

I happened to notice this in a newspaper as I was trawling through the other day and didn't remember seeing it before. I daresay everyone else has, knowing my luck. I thought it might be of interest to people if they hadn't come across it before. It's from the Evening News, 31 October 1888

Last night, Mr. Matthew Packer, who keeps a fruitshop next to the gateway where the Berner-street murder was committed, stated that this last night or two he has felt greatly alarmed owing to his having seen a man exactly like the one who bought the grapes off him for the unfortunate murdered woman, Elizabeth Stride, a short time before the murder was committed. He alleges that he had often seen the man before the murder, as well as the woman who was murdered in Berner-street, but he had not seen any one resembling the man since the murder till he saw him again last Saturday night.

He was then standing with his fruit stall in the Commercial-road when he caught sight of him staring him full in the face. He kept calm and collected for a little time, hoping that a policeman would come by, but not one came. After passing and repassing him several times, the man then came behind him in the horse road looking in a very evil and menacing manner at him. He was so terrified that he left his stall and ran to a shoeblack that was near, and, pointing to the man, asked him to keep his eye on him and watch him.

His great fear was that the fellow was going to stab him to prevent him from identifying him, should anything be brought against him, or his arrest take place. No sooner, however, had he called the shoeblack's attention to him, than he ran away as fast as he could and succeeded in getting on a passing tram. He would have followed the tram had he been able to run, or if he could have left his stall, but he could not has he had several pounds of fruit on it. He has little doubt about him being the man, as he knew him again in a moment.

Now, I don't know if I'm being a bit of a cynic here, but although I've got great affection for Packer as a character, I have to say, this does look suspiciously like someone that's spinning a yarn. I can't believe any serial killer worth his salt would have passed and re-passed Packer several times, let along come up behind him in an evil and menacing manner and hung around that long. I also thought it was interesting that he stated he had not only seen the man often before the murder, but also Liz as well. . .

Hugs

Jane

xxxx
              Last edited by Jane Coram; 07-16-2010, 08:25 PM.
              I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

• Hi Jane. Yes, this little tale has made the rounds for years. And as you'll recall from my article, a week before this Packer tied his grape man to the Batty Street lodger. He was an all-purpose suspect. How anyone can think there's even a shred of truth to the Le Grand/Packer suspect is absolutely beyond me.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Without having yet managed to read Examiner 2, I find what Abby Normal very astutely observes about Packer's behaviour pre- and post- Le Grand very-very suspicious, i.e. Packer's willingness to tell everybody about what happened, when initially he didn't seek out at all to tell White.

To Tom Wescott:
                  Actually what I very much like about Spike is not that he's “super cool“ and easy on the eyes, but the fact that he has this great sensibility and he immediately figures out what's going on inside other people. And it's so fun to see William the poet coming though the wannabe “evil“ Spike and his fake working class accent. (Wow, they should really throw us out of casebook, or I should start a BtVS thread!!)
                  Tom Wescott wrote:
                  That's true, but 12 years on the Casebook and one picks up such things.
                  Good luck on the paper. I wasn't flexing any sort of muscle by mentioning my 15 or so essays, but when cyberbully Phil Carter tried to be insulting by suggesting that Simon and I aren't writers because we haven't published a book, I defined the term and stated that when I DO publish a book I will be promoted to 'author', and will join the ranks of folks such as yourself.

Wow, 12 years on casebook and 15 essays! Actually I don't consider myself as an author yet, at least until the first book (which is simply my dissertation) gets published, nor do I expect to feel any better about myself after having become an “author“. There are tons and tons of awfully bad authors already published and making millions.
                  The paper went fine, thanks so much for the well wishes. It was not any important occasion here in South Africa, and I had to simplify things and explain so much, that it was more like a lecture for music appreciation for beginners. But at least South Africans are (obviously) very politicized, and they were very interested to know about the politics of the Napoleonic era etc..
                  But the real highlight of my day was a visit to Kayamandi, the local township (and ex black ghetto), and particularily the visit to the township's high school. The director was a lazy bureaucrat more interested in trying to look inside my shirt, but the young female teacher was amazing, and the class of kids (age 11) I taught were super-super sharp, very sensibilized in history and politics, and also very lively and artistic (they sing and dance all the time). We talked a lot about the French Revolution, unemployment and homeless people in Europe, but also about French food, and I described how to make soufflé, which they all wanted to try afterwards.
                  The town was cleaner than places where I've camped while surfing, they have 2 hospitals, and electricity in all the shacks. (But they lack fridges.) We had locally made beer (with hardly any booze in it) made in the shack that serves as a local pub. But what they sell and eat for meat (probably due to the low price, and WITHOUT fridges!!) consists solely of tripe, HUGE cow hearts with all the arteries still on, and sheep heads, which looked more like the head of a dog. I swear there was an old lady with what I thought was yellow paint all over her face hitting a sheep head with a hammer, and it took me a moment to realize that what her face was covered with was not yellow paint!
                  Now I'm having some more Pinotage red wine, and in a little while it's girls' night out, dancing at a student hangout called The Bronze –eh---, sorry, Mystic Boer...
                  With many-many apologies for getting light years away from the subject of this thread,
                  Best regards,
                  Maria

Comment

• Hi Tom,

(I'm always going to picture you in a long black leather trench coat from now on. Lol)

I knew blooming well that I was probably the last person in Rippology to find that report, but that's nothing new. Duh.

I loved the 'he looked at me, and I looked at him' bit. If Packer was a fisherman, I suspect his arms wouldn't have been long enough to show off the size of the one that got away

Hugs

Jane

xxxx
                    I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

• Originally posted by mariab
                      To Tom Wescott:
                      Actually what I very much like about Spike is not that he's “super cool“ and easy on the eyes, but the fact that he has this great sensibility and he immediately figures out what's going on inside other people. And it's so fun to see William the poet coming though the wannabe “evil“ Spike and his fake working class accent.
                      You mean William the Bloody? I see you know the show well, and thank you for the gracious compliment about my instincts. I have every season of Buffy, plus the 30 minute unaired pilot (with a different Willow), the unaired but very short pilot for the animated program that never happened, and the DVD of the 2008 Buffy reunion. I couldn't get into the season 8 comic book, however. There won't be another show like it.

Regarding South Africa, I can't even begin to comprehend. Not sure that would be on my list of places I'd like to visit.

Originally posted by Jane Coram
                      If Packer was a fisherman, I suspect his arms wouldn't have been long enough to show off the size of the one that got away
                      LOL. How hilarious and completely accurate.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Jane Coram writes:

"If Packer was a fisherman, I suspect his arms wouldn't have been long enough to show off the size of the one that got away "

You´re not by any chance prejudiced against fishermen, are you, Jane?

Fisherman

Comment

I never said Packer couldn't have seen Liz, I simply pointed out that he didn't. He stated he watched her and her man stand in the rain for half an hour. As you should be aware, the medical evidence shows her clothes were bone dry. Thus he never saw Stride and her killer. And why would her killer be hanging out before 11:30pm when she wouldn't be murdered for almost 90 minutes?
                          And then there's the small matter that Packer was not the source for this information. It was Le Grand who found him, Le Grand who kept him from PS White, Le Grand who wrote up the piece in the paper, Le Grand who 'found' the grapestalk, Le Grand who 'found' the two sisters who saw the grapestalk that was never there. This is the same Le Grand who habitually paid for alibis. Where in all of this is it that you're suggesting Packer told the truth?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                          Nowhere, Tom. I think those were all your words, not mine.

But I don't think you'll find it in anything I wrote either.

But don't let that get in the way of you telling a good yarn about Caz taking Packer the Pawn at his every word.

You do tell a good yarn.

Love,

Caz
                          X
                          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

To any rational mind there should be nothing at all confusing about this. It certainly didn't confuse Swanson and Anderson, who decided Packer's statement was valueless as evidence...
                            Which, Tom, if you care to check back at my posts on the subject, is pretty much what I said too. Nothing that Packer said can be relied on because of the way his 'evidence' was induced and by whom.

That in no way means he didn't have any customers that night, or didn't see Liz or her killer at some point without knowing it at the time or thinking any more about it. He may well have done, without seeing either going into the yard, standing in the rain or doing anything noteworthy or suspicious. All three were definitely there, after all, in Berner Street.

Which is more than can be said for Le Grand at this point. Put him in Berner Street, at any point that night, and you'll impress the hell out of us all.

Love,

Caz
                            X

Comment

• Hi Fisherman,

I'm not even going to ask how long your arms are -- or anything else for that matter.

Actually, I'm rather partial to a man in waders!

Much love

Janie

xxxxx

I really will shut up now. Lol.

Comment

• Jack wants Packer for a Smokescreen?

Originally posted by mariab View Post
                                Terribly sorry for putting Eddowes at the wrong mortuary! (And I've wondered about that at the very moment I typed about her, he he!!) And I've also often wondered if Packer went to see Eddowes too, besides Stride...
                                Hi Maria,

Well yes, and I wondered why people had been carefully avoiding the subject. I thought old man Packer was taken initially to see Kate, to test his willingness to 'recognise' any old recently murdered female, with the result that he confidently stated he had never seen her before. Had she been Liz, it would have been over for him at that point. Even sooner, had he said of Kate: "Yes, that's the woman I saw".

So Liz was the second recently murdered female he was taken to see, and this time he claimed to recognise her.

If the whole 'wrong body/right body' charade was set up by Le Grand and his chum, it was quite a neat trick to pull off, considering Packer was a bit simple and could so easily have buggered it up and dropped all three of them in it.

Originally posted by Jane Coram View Post
                                I can't believe any serial killer worth his salt would have passed and re-passed Packer several times, let along come up behind him in an evil and menacing manner and hung around that long.
                                Hi Jane,

No, I'm sure Packer was quite enjoying himself by now, and getting right into his stride. But Tom's theory involves the same serial killer, having so recently got into his Stride, approaching Packer (who presumably didn't know Le Grand from Adam at this point) and somehow charming a complete fairy tale out of him about an invented suspect, without the old man raising an eyebrow about his motives.

Now I can well imagine that Le Grand's motive was to try and make monkeys out of the police and make himself, by comparison, look like the grand professional detective that he wasn't. But I can't believe his motive (as the murderer) was to get Packer, of all people, to send the police off after a mythical suspect, because he hadn't a hope in hell that it would actually work - and of course it didn't work. Packer was the one person who had already told a policeman that he had seen nobody and nothing suspicious. Why would they have taken his subsequent tales seriously, unless there was a bloody good reason?

If this was the ripper, using Packer to create a smokescreen, it was a waste of his time and effort.

Love,

Caz
                                X

Comment

Working...
                                X