Casebook Examiner No. 2 (June 2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mariab View Post
    As a matter of fact, Zodiac, this is the EXACT same thing that went through my mind when I read Tom Wescott's post about garrotting, but I didn't feel like pressuring him to “come clean“... yet
    Hi Maria,

Thats ok, we could always do the old "Good Cop, Bad Cop" routine on him. I'll apply the pressure, to his Carotid Sinus maybe!

Zodiac.
    And thus I clothe my naked villainy
    With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
    And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

Comment

• I understand he sometimes comes over to the UK for his research. What if we signalled him to Interpol, as a “red notice“?
      Last edited by mariab; 07-09-2010, 03:05 AM.
      Best regards,
      Maria

Comment

• I'm constable!

Can I be the bad cop, Zodiac? Actually no, it's better if we kept changing between good-cop bad-cop routine, so he doesn't figure what the hell's going on.
        By the way I've just been promoted into constable ! I just dig casebook, it's apparently the only place in the world where you can sit around all night chin wagging with your buddies and then – pronto, next day you're promoted to CEO! I wish real life were like this...
        Now back to my paper on deadline (darn it),
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

I understand he sometimes comes over to the UK for his research. What if we signalled him to the Interpol, as a “red notice“?
          I like your style!!!

If chummy doesn't cough after "falling down the stairs", repeatedly, on the way to the cells, then I feel that the time will have come to apply the surfboard, rope and coat hanger interrogation method! Of course we would need to hold him under the "Prevention of Egotism Act 2002" but I somehow doubt that this would present any problem at all!!!

Zodiac.

Comment

• Ha ha ha, this is so funny!
            Actually I happen to have the perfect stairs for “falling down a few times“, the stairs to this tiny Paris apartment on the 4th floor, they're hardly 10 inches broad, made of old slippery wood, and they turn very sharply twice on each floor... (It'll be a nice deed getting my suitcase down tomorrow afternoon, the safest way is to just let it roll down on its own.) As for applying the advanced “surfboard, rope and coat hanger“ interrogation method, I think the surfboard, for its own good, should pass, fiberglass is almost as fragile as glass...
            Zodiac wrote: Hold him under the "Prevention of Egotism Act 2002".
            Wow, this is SO funny!
            Tom, for real, I totally loved it when you said your Berner Street Mystery Part 2 was the third best Stride essay ever, and on the next day you said it was the second best essay ever!! But I very much liked your article on Kidney in Examiner 1, and I can't wait to read the Le Grand dig on Examiner 2 – that is, when I've finished my own crap on deadline first, which incidentally is called Hegemonic discourse in early colonial representations: Spontini’s historical opera “Fernand Cortčs” (yeah, I know, terribly interesting + very relevant to this thread ...!)
            Last edited by mariab; 07-09-2010, 04:07 AM.
            Best regards,
            Maria

Comment

Ha ha ha, this is so funny!
              As for applying the advanced “surfboard, rope and coat hanger“ interrogation method, I think the surfboard, for its own good, should pass, fiberglass is almost as fragile as glass...
              Yes but the shards are SO sharp and so versatile!!!
              Originally posted by mariab View Post
              Zodiac wrote: Hold him under the "Prevention of Egotism Act 2002".
              Wow, this is SO funny!
              Originally posted by mariab View Post
              Hegemonic discourse in early colonial representations: Spontini’s historical opera “Fernand Cortčs”[/I] (yeah, I know, terribly interesting + very relevant to this thread ...!)
              Spontini!? Wow, you really know how to pick the easy ones don't you!!! “Fernand Cortčs". Is that the one that compares Napoleon to Cortes, as in that they are both the "Good Guys!!!" And the Spanish as the Evil, vile, despotic Aztecs??? I wonder why it could possibly have fallen out of favour post 1815? Good luck with it, hope that you meet the deadline.

Best wishes

Zodiac.
              Last edited by Zodiac; 07-09-2010, 04:11 AM.

Comment

• “Cortčs“

Zodiac wrote:
                Yes but the shards are SO sharp and so versatile!!!

Oh no, please don't talk about my poor 6.8´´ in shards... Actually it has a minor fresh ding on the tail, but there's no use repairing it until after having taken all the flights I have to take in the next days.

[B]Zodiac wrote:
                Spontini!? Wow, you really know how to pick the easy ones don't you!!! “Fernand Cortčs". Is that the one that compares Napoleon to Cortes, as in that they are both the "Good Guys!!!" And the Spanish as the Evil, vile, despotic Aztecs??? I wonder why it could possibly have fallen out of favour post 1815? Good luck with it, hope that you meet the deadline.

Wow, I'm completely impressed! It's totally that one! And there are 5 different versions, each one reflecting the political climate of its time. The first one from 1809, politically ambiguous (showing the Aztecs as noble and courageous and insisting on the Spaniards' interest in the Aztec gold), which Napoleon didn't like and he even left the premiere before it was over, offended, another version from 1814 trying to make it more emperor-friendly which never went to music (because Napoleon dropped), the “official“ 1817 version (under the Bourbons) showing human sacrifices on stage and where Montezuma appears on stage, and 2 German versions from when Spontini went to Berlin (from 1824 and 1832), which are musically interesting, but the last one ends so stupidly, glorifying Christianism, with a huge illuminated cross on the stage etc. ...
                I can't not make the deadline, because it's for a conference (in South Africa, of all places). As it happens I already have 20 pages from a British article (written from another approach), and what I'm currently doing is cuts and adding explanations to make it fit for a ZA audience. That's why it's a bit of a bore preparing it...
                Anyway, thanks so much for the well wishes, I'll definitely need them!
                Best regards,
                Maria

Comment

• I´m off for two days fishing, but I´ll be back on sunday/monday, and I will respond to the posts written then!

The best,
                  Fisherman

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                    Regarding Packer, it's quite clear that he saw no couple...
                    Hi Tom,

I wasn't claiming otherwise.

But is there any evidence that White asked Packer a single question about his customers that night?

And is there any evidence that Packer had no customers, either on their own or accompanied?

I don't think these are unreasonable questions to ask. If Packer had any customers that night, don't you think that one of them could have been involved, or may possibly have witnessed something himself, without Packer being any the wiser? And he did correctly reject Kate Eddowes as the woman he claimed to see with one of his customers, but went on to identify Liz as that woman.

Your theory involves Packer seeing the murderer, doesn't it, albeit after the event and in different circumstances. But it's no clearer that he ever did, is it? If anything, it's less of a stretch to imagine Packer unknowingly selling Liz's killer a bite to eat, than gaily perjuring himself after the event with a complete fairy tale, to satisfy two strangers and put the police on the wrong track. How much 'inducing' could Le Grand have done before Packer got worried or suspicious and told him to do his own dirty work?

All in all, it would seem more reasonable if Packer had served a couple, seen no more and thought no more about it until Le Grand's fishing expedition, then decided to make it 'sexier' - or a whole lot fruitier in his case.

Love,

Caz
                    X
                    Last edited by caz; 07-09-2010, 12:55 PM.
                    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

I understand he sometimes comes over to the UK for his research. What if we signalled him to Interpol, as a “red notice“?
                      Who - the Red Demon aka Tom?

I didn't know that. For some reason I had him down as someone who had never been outside of his home town. In fact, I don't know anyone in ripper circles who has actually seen him. How would we know him from a mug shot?

Love,

Caz
                      X
                      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• I fear that I've offended Fisherman and Lynn with my suggestion that they've never garrotted a woman before. That was childish of me and I'll hope they forgive me. They are older men so I'm sure they've had far more experience at this than I have. And, as I'm sure Lynn would point out, 'It's not the size of the scarf that counts, but how you use it.'

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Caz
                          I didn't know that. For some reason I had him down as someone who had never been outside of his home town. In fact, I don't know anyone in ripper circles who has actually seen him. How would we know him from a mug shot?
                          Or maybe my nametag says something other than 'Tom' when I come 'round.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• ladies

Hello Tom. No, not a bit of it. No offense taken.

Indeed, I hope I have not taken down any ladies in the manner suggested.

Quite right about scarf size--just enough needed to do the job.

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

• Originally posted by Caz
                              Your theory involves Packer seeing the murderer, doesn't it, albeit after the event and in different circumstances.
                              No, that's not my theory at all. Any theory that invests Packer with any credibility whatsoever is not a theory to take seriously. I'm pretty sure I made this stance clear in my essay.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Tom Wescott wrote:
                                I fear that I've offended Fisherman and Lynn with my suggestion that they've never garrotted a woman before. That was childish of me and I'll hope they forgive me. They are older men so I'm sure they've had far more experience at this than I have.

Tom, I'm sure you haven't offended anyone. By the way I thought that Lynn was a female! (And I REALLY-REALLY don't wish to offend anyone with this. )
                                (I'm posting this while stuck since 5 hours at the Orly aiport, where my easyjet (sleazyjet) flight left without us due to the French attendants being rude (actually real swines), and I had to buy another ticket from another “cheap“ company. Oh, the joys of Paris in July...
                                Last edited by mariab; 07-09-2010, 09:41 PM.
                                Best regards,
                                Maria

Comment

Working...
                                X