Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hamrammr View Post
    Hi,

Any plans to review the recent Sherlock Holmes Vs Jack the Ripper video game in the Examiner. It was a little daft and in some parts hilarious, but still very enjoyable and I particularly enjoyed the reconstructions of the crime scenes and interactions. Egad Holmes!
    I agree. There was some homework done on that game. I liked much of it. It was plausible which is more than can be said for a lot of theories at times.

Cheers,

Mike
    huh?

Comment

Finally got a chance to check my email, and found my copy of the Examiner. Only had a chance to browse through so far, but wow! A sterling job from all concerned.

Thank you Stephen!
      “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Wolf,

Glad to hear the Carrie Brown book is still in the hopper. I am sure it will be a gem and is long awaited by most of us.

Don.
        "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

So then star troopers we will just gloss over this little exchange between the jury and Kidney at Stride's inquest shall we?

'Did the deceased have a child by you? - No.

Or by a policeman?'

And while we have the gloss out we might as well ignore the statement of Catherine Lane that Stride spoke the languange of the people she worked for at the time of her death. That would be Jews I guess.

And then just plainly, and blatantly ignore the fact that one of Stride's close relations was a Metropolitan police officer.
          It narks me.

Comment

Cap'n! So nice to see you back. I, for one, missed your contributions. I don't quite get the gist of your current beef; but, I'm sure that you'll expand upon it...at length.

Comment

Thank you, Grave, as ever I'll dig myself a decent hole, and then fall into it. My beef is that we have turkey.

Comment

I really enjoyed this inaugural issue. I learned something from all the articles. Tom's piece was extremely well written. (I disagree, from what I've read, that Liz actually spoke to Barnardo in the kitchen at 32 F&D Street; I believe he only stated that she was present, but that's a minor point.) Palmer's Andrews article was very informative, and Neil and Jennifer's piece has sent me off in new research areas of my own interest. The book reviews were dead-on, and SPE's advice on book collecting will be invaluable to a novice. And all this for free! My thanks and congratulations to all concerned in its production.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                  And all this for free! My thanks and congratulations to all concerned in its production.
                  Yes, my thanks and congratulations too.

Amitiés,
                  David

Comment

Wolf,
                    Glad to hear the Carrie Brown book is still in the hopper. I am sure it will be a gem and is long awaited by most of us.
                    Don.
                    Thank you Don, very nice of you to say. I'll add, as I think I have in the past, that I can't wait to finish it so that I can read the damned thing. This always gets a laugh, but the story of Brown's murder is filled with many twists and turns and several people who I have talked to about the book have assumed that it must be a work of fiction. One guy thought it was a movie script and everyone is amazed that it's all true.

Wolf.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Grave Maurice
                      (I disagree, from what I've read, that Liz actually spoke to Barnardo in the kitchen at 32 F&D Street; I believe he only stated that she was present, but that's a minor point.)
                      Thanks for the compliment, GM. However, Dr. Barnardo did claim that Stride spoke up at the meeting, which is what caused him to remember her.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolf Vanderlinden View Post
                        Thank you Don, very nice of you to say. I'll add, as I think I have in the past, that I can't wait to finish it so that I can read the damned thing. This always gets a laugh, but the story of Brown's murder is filled with many twists and turns and several people who I have talked to about the book have assumed that it must be a work of fiction. One guy thought it was a movie script and everyone is amazed that it's all true.

Wolf.
                        Perhaps you might want to let me read it before you go to press. Just to ensure you have all your facts right this time

Comment

• I must have accidentally clicked the "Jokes" thread. But that was a good one, Trevor.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                            However, Dr. Barnardo did claim that Stride spoke up at the meeting, which is what caused him to remember her.
                            OK, Tom. I was just going by Barnardo's letter to The Times of October 9th, where he says:
                            The pathetic part of my story is that my remarks were manifestly followed with deep interest by all the women. Not a single scoffing voice was raised in ridicule or opposition. One poor creature, who had evidently been drinking, exclaimed somewhat bitterly to the following effect: "We're all up to no good, and no one cares what becomes of us. Perhaps some of us will be killed next!" And then she added, " If anybody had helped the likes of us long ago we would never have come to this!" ... I have since visited the mortuary in which were lying the remains of the poor woman Stride, and I at once recognized her as one of those who stood around me in the kitchen of the common lodging-house on the occasion of my visit last Wednesday week.

That sounds to me as though one of the women spoke up at the meeting, but it wasn't Stride.

Anyway, as I say, it's a very minor point and detracts not a jot from your well-presented, well-researched article.

Comment

• For Barnardo to have remembered her, I'd suggest she must have had a few words while she "stood around me in the kitchen...". This even if it wasn't she who had spoken up.

Mike
                              huh?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                                I must have accidentally clicked the "Jokes" thread. But that was a good one, Trevor.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                                Yes, I nearly choked on my cuppa when I read that one.

Love,

Caz
                                X
                                "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
                                X