Kudos For Cornwell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kudos For Cornwell

A question has bothered me. Why has Patricia Cornwell become Ripperologies Aunt Sally ?.Alright, may be " case closed " should of read " case dismissed for lack of evidence ", but i still consider Cornwells effort the best in pet suspect class of JtR book, which, admittedly, is attracting more dogs than CRUFTS. Cornwells book was engaging, original, but accessible, and has made a genuine effort to drag ripperology into the forensic age, which is damn sight more than most manage or try to do. If Sickert was a letter hoaxer, and thanks to Cornwells book there are compelling reasons to think so,then he deserves the slating he gets. A few years ago, a man called John Humble was jailed for hoaxing, but he was no Richard Sickert, so maybe Cornwell was right, and Sickert belonged to a class above suspicion or punishment. I hope Cornwell writes more JtR material, because its one of the few JtR books that i am likely to buy.
    Yours, Scorpio.
    SCORPIO

The idea of Walter Sickert belonging to "a class above suspicion or punishment" seems rather weak to me. I would imagine Sickert's position in society to have been similar to that of Oscar Wilde and we know what happened to him.

Best wishes,
    Steve.

Comment

Well Scorpio,

Its a tad unwise to label what would be the majority of ones readships as 'sick individuals' and question their morals.

There are many good people in this field, a fair few unsung, who have conducted great research which, ironically enough, aided Patsy so she can produce the base material for her book.

To insult them during interviews and documentary is not going to endear her in the field, especially as most do not have the same access to the media as she has and therefore cannot defend themselves (not that they need to) to the same masses.

Its not her book that p*ssed many off as such, it was the attitude and derogatory comments made about the field and those within it.

Bad form.

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Hi Scorpio. Cornwell is one of the most if not THE most talented writer to tackle the subject, and it's her prose and presentation that makes her arguments so persuasive. But you have to understand that her facts and suppositions were all wrong. Virtually down the line, they were wrong. Walter Sickert isn't and never has been a Ripper suspect in the true sense.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I have to give Kudos to Cromwell ONLY in that it was her book that exploded the Ripper obsession within me, not bad for a cheap book bought in Tesco's by my Cornwell-fiction loving mother at 16.

Comment

Absolutely. The biggest Ripper books of all time have been crank theories (Sickert, Royal Conspiracy, Diary) but God bless them, because there wouldn't be Ripperology as we know it today.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

i thought i was reading about Swiss Cheese the theory seemed so full of holes
              “be just and fear not”

Comment

I just remember thinking that even though at that point I had absolutely no other theories to go on that surely she had just confirmed he had written some letters rather than stabbed up a couple of ladies. The Uncle Jack one was even worse and that was a book I was soooooo anticipating as I live in the area the so called Ripper John Williams was from.

two terrible books that nonetheless sit amongst the other more credible creations on my bookshelf

Comment

Bring It On Home

Originally posted by AmmanValleyJack View Post
                  I just remember thinking that even though at that point I had absolutely no other theories to go on that surely she had just confirmed he had written some letters rather than stabbed up a couple of ladies. The Uncle Jack one was even worse and that was a book I was soooooo anticipating as I live in the area the so called Ripper John Williams was from.

two terrible books that nonetheless sit amongst the other more credible creations on my bookshelf
                  Most areas will get there own ripper suspect eventually at the rate they show up.One of the latest suspects, who was a secret service agent no less, supposedly sleeps the big sleep in my hometown of Cheltenham.
                  SCORPIO

Comment

I don't even agree that she writes well. I admire her ability to earn money, though.

Comment

Well, I will say this for Ms. Cornwell.

She asks a great deal of very good questions. Her answers seem contrived and contorted, but the questions she asks are quite good. Most of my enjoyment from the book came from "Well clearly that answer is wrong, but I wonder what the answer is?" or "It never occurred to me to question that before"

And if my old history prof is correct, someone who get's us to ask the right questions is far more valuable than someone who gives us the answers.
                      The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
                        Well, I will say this for Ms. Cornwell.

She asks a great deal of very good questions. Her answers seem contrived and contorted, but the questions she asks are quite good. Most of my enjoyment from the book came from "Well clearly that answer is wrong, but I wonder what the answer is?" or "It never occurred to me to question that before"

And if my old history prof is correct, someone who get's us to ask the right questions is far more valuable than someone who gives us the answers.
                        It's amazing how intelligent people - Cornwell included - can properly evaluate others' theories critically but are utterly incapable of doing the same to their own. I suspect we are all slightly guilty of this.

Comment

Cornwells dedication at the begining of the book "we finally got him" is both offensive and insulting to the many people who have put genuine time and effort into their research.They also had to work without the vast amount of money she had to buy her results.
                          As for the book itself it has passages which can only be described as bizarre and at times incomprehensible

Comment

Originally posted by belinda View Post
                            Cornwells dedication at the begining of the book "we finally got him" is both offensive and insulting to the many people who have put genuine time and effort into their research.They also had to work without the vast amount of money she had to buy her results.
                            As for the book itself it has passages which can only be described as bizarre and at times incomprehensible
                            Perhaps the dedication should be attributed to Cornwells insecurity, rather than her ego.
                            Publisher : " Patsy..... could you repeat the last bit again, you spent how much ? ".
                            SCORPIO

Comment

i wonder if she sits at her desk in the night giving a holy f**k what we all think and say about her. everyone, even those who say they dont, secretly crave the admiration and acceptance from their audience be it an actor wanting good reviews and so on. I wonder what she feels about her reputation in the Ripper world?

Comment

Working...
                              X