Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 Essential Ripper Books

Hi all

I am looking to discover which BOOKS released over the past 135 years since the autumn of 1888 are considered the most ESSENTIAL for anyone new to Ripperology.

However, to keep things objective and impartial, could you please list your TOP 5 books, accompanied by the reasons for each of those 5 choices, BUT try to refrain from criticizing other's choices?
    This should ensure this thread stays on topic and doesn't deviate with unwanted confrontations that descend into chaos.

The only other stipulation is that from your 5 choices, at least 2 have to be EITHER Non-fiction OR Fiction.

Your choices can therefore include ANY BOOK related to the RIPPER CASE, but must have a mix of BOTH Fiction and Non-Fiction.

That should strike a decent balance between this thread's overall intention as being a valuable insight for newbies.

All book choices need to be Ripper-related for this thread to remain within context.

So, who's first?

RD
    "Great minds, don't think alike"

Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post
    Hi all

I am looking to discover which BOOKS released over the past 135 years since the autumn of 1888 are considered the most ESSENTIAL for anyone new to Ripperology.

However, to keep things objective and impartial, could you please list your TOP 5 books, accompanied by the reasons for each of those 5 choices, BUT try to refrain from criticizing other's choices?
    This should ensure this thread stays on topic and doesn't deviate with unwanted confrontations that descend into chaos.

The only other stipulation is that from your 5 choices, at least 2 have to be EITHER Non-fiction OR Fiction.

Your choices can therefore include ANY BOOK related to the RIPPER CASE, but must have a mix of BOTH Fiction and Non-Fiction.

That should strike a decent balance between this thread's overall intention as being a valuable insight for newbies.

All book choices need to be Ripper-related for this thread to remain within context.

So, who's first?

RD
    NF-sugden
    F-from hell

both masterpieces imho

Comment

• "From Hell" by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell. The royalist theory has had its time, but the graphic novel is so captivating.
      • "Meurtre à Whitechapel" by Michel Moatti. One of the few successful French works (not translated) on the crimes of JtR. I don't subscribe to the chosen theory (Walter Sickert is not the Ripper but his accomplice for the last murder). However, the novel is a success and perfectly depicts Victorian London.
      • "The Last Sherlock Holmes Story" by Michael Dibdin. Because I love pastiches of Sherlock Holmes adventures, and this one is particularly well done. Of course, due to the final twist, it can only be savored once.
      • "The New Jack the Ripper A-Z" by Paul Begg, Debra Arif, and Sean Crundall. A classic, and it's so practical in alphabetical form to pick up information.
      • "The Thames Torso Murders of Victorian London" by R. Michael Gordon. Because thanks to this book, I discovered the existence of the "Torso Murders" series and also the reference to a hypothetical first murder in Paris in 1886. Even if I don't subscribe to the author's thesis (JtR and Torso Killer are one and the same person, namely George Chapman, alias Seweryn Antonowicz Kłosowski).
      “There had been a madness of murder in the air. Some red star had come too close to the earth…”
      Oscar Wilde, The Portrait of Dorian Gray

Comment

The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Sourcebook has to be in there for me.
        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• "The New Jack the Ripper A-Z" by Paul Begg, Debra Arif, and Sean Crundall. A classic, and it's so practical in alphabetical form to pick up information.
          This hasn't come out yet, has it?

Comment

Thanks Scott for the correction. It is indeed about The Complete Jack the Ripper A to Z. As for "The New Jack the Ripper A-Z," I mistook my dream for reality. It has not been released yet.
            “There had been a madness of murder in the air. Some red star had come too close to the earth…”

Comment

It is such a strange request to insist on at least two (and possibly three) of the five choices being fictional. Essential reading - to me - implies presenting the known facts of the case. Most people who post here have probably only ever read one fictional story based on Jack the Ripper at most (I, for example, have read Jay Hartley's excellent 'Threads' and that's it).

Whilst there have been some excellent fictional accounts involving the Whitechapel fiend, I can't connect the concept of a fictional account with the concept of essential reading (whether a newbie or not).

Could you clarify why you feel a book based on speculation - however enthralling that speculation might well be - could ever trump a book based on facts (given the nature of your original request)?

Ike
              Iconoclast
              Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post
                It is such a strange request to insist on at least two (and possibly three) of the five choices being fictional. Essential reading - to me - implies presenting the known facts of the case. Most people who post here have probably only ever read one fictional story based on Jack the Ripper at most (I, for example, have read Jay Hartley's excellent 'Threads' and that's it).

Whilst there have been some excellent fictional accounts involving the Whitechapel fiend, I can't connect the concept of a fictional account with the concept of essential reading (whether a newbie or not).

Could you clarify why you feel a book based on speculation - however enthralling that speculation might well be - could ever trump a book based on facts (given the nature of your original request)?

Ike
                Ah yes, I asked for a combination, because that I wanted to see whether people chose to side more with fact or fiction.

It was actually the opposite way around, in that I wanted a minimum of 2 FACTUAL books; so that the thread didn't descend into a subjective list of fictional content based on bias or someone trying to pedal their own work etc...

In an ideal world, I would have asked for only factual-based titles only, but I felt I needed to strike a balance to incorporate some element of fiction into it.

Good spot though, you were correct, but you had it the opposite way around to what I had intended.

I have never read ANY fictional books on the Ripper...that might sound odd, but I have no interest in any literature that pedals a particular suspect.

I choose to stick only to factual encyclopedic titles. That makes my views on the case stem from a place of fact and explains why I have never had a prime suspect.

I currently have a short list of around 12 different suspects

The day that I choose to follow just 1 suspect, is the day I close my mind off to the truth of the case.

RD
                "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post

Ah yes, I asked for a combination, because that I wanted to see whether people chose to side more with fact or fiction.

It was actually the opposite way around, in that I wanted a minimum of 2 FACTUAL books; so that the thread didn't descend into a subjective list of fictional content based on bias or someone trying to pedal their own work etc...

In an ideal world, I would have asked for only factual-based titles only, but I felt I needed to strike a balance to incorporate some element of fiction into it.

Good spot though, you were correct, but you had it the opposite way around to what I had intended.

I have never read ANY fictional books on the Ripper...that might sound odd, but I have no interest in any literature that pedals a particular suspect.

I choose to stick only to factual encyclopedic titles. That makes my views on the case stem from a place of fact and explains why I have never had a prime suspect.

I currently have a short list of around 12 different suspects

The day that I choose to follow just 1 suspect, is the day I close my mind off to the truth of the case.

RD
                  I suspect that very few people in this forum would have chosen 4 or 5 fictional books even if they had that option.

If all non-fiction is allowed, I'll start with these 4:

Paul Begg - Jack the Ripper: The Facts
                  Philip Sugden - The Complete History of Jack the Ripper
                  Begg, Fido & Skinner - Jack the Ripper A-Z
                  Evans & Skinner - The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Sourcebook

Since my knowledge of Ripper books isn't all that extensive, I'll leave a spot open on the list because there's probably at least one book that should be on my list but isn't. Also, Ripper literature shouldn't be limited to books, and since years of back issues of Ripperologist can be downloaded for free, I can't see why anyone interested in the case would pass on that opportunity.
                  Last edited by Lewis C; 12-20-2023, 02:20 AM. Reason: I decided to go ahead and make a list after posting the 1st pargraph.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                    [LIST][*]"The New Jack the Ripper A-Z" by Paul Begg, Debra Arif, and Sean Crundall. A classic, and it's so practical in alphabetical form to pick up information.
                    Charlie, when you were sent your digital copy of the fully revised and updated A-Z last year, you signed a waiver to never let Scott Nelson know of its existence. Your application to the Ripper Cabal is now under review and I'm afraid your candidature is in jeopardy.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                      Charlie, when you were sent your digital copy of the fully revised and updated A-Z last year, you signed a waiver to never let Scott Nelson know of its existence. Your application to the Ripper Cabal is now under review and I'm afraid your candidature is in jeopardy.
                      Sorry to disappoint you, but I have no idea what you're talking about.
                      Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post

Sorry to disappoint you, but I have no idea what you're talking about.
                        Regards.
                        That's the correct answer Charlie. There's no "Ripper Cabal", and if Tom wants to retain his seat on the gravy train he'd do well to remember that any talk of shady ripper organisations propping up the old establishment for our own financial gain had better remain "Ripper Confidential" so to speak...
                        Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Two that have to be among the top 5 essential Ripper books:

* The Bank Holiday Murders: The True Story of the First Whitechapel Murders

* Ripper Confidential: New Research on the Whitechapel Murders

(or so I've been told)

I'm sure many posters on this site have received complimentary copies. Except for me.

I can't even get a copy of Jack the Ripper and the Case for Scotland Yard's Prime Suspect, which I haven't read and probably never will.

Have I missed anything of importance?

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

That's the correct answer Charlie. There's no "Ripper Cabal", and if Tom wants to retain his seat on the gravy train he'd do well to remember that any talk of shady ripper organisations propping up the old establishment for our own financial gain had better remain "Ripper Confidential" so to speak...
                            That's precisely correct. (wink, wink)

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                              Two that have to be among the top 5 essential Ripper books:

* The Bank Holiday Murders: The True Story of the First Whitechapel Murders

* Ripper Confidential: New Research on the Whitechapel Murders

(or so I've been told)

I'm sure many posters on this site have received complimentary copies. Except for me.

I can't even get a copy of Jack the Ripper and the Case for Scotland Yard's Prime Suspect, which I haven't read and probably never will.

Have I missed anything of importance?
                              Thanks for that, but I'd put those at numbers six and seven. The first 5 spots are filled by Stewart P. Evans and his respective co-authors.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                              X