• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
    Storm of Steel.
    Ernst Jünger ? Awesome.

Comment

Yesterday evening I started on Stewart Evans' and Paul Gainey's book "Jack the Ripper - First American Serial Killer". I'm going to enjoy this book, I think. I've already learned more about the Lincoln assassination than I previously knew!

I'm also really enjoying a Giles compilation from 1963. There's always an extra little laugh to find in the background of the cartoons! We found several annuals that we didn't have in charity shops in England last summer.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Carol

Comment

Going to bed with a good old Stevenson - David Balfour.

Gotta know if this time he will taste a Tobermory while in Mull.

Comment

Blenheim by Charles Spencer. It's about how another Churchill, John Churchill, A.K.A. The Duke of Marlborough, stopped the conquest of Europe, this time by Louis the XIV. Charles Spencer is some how related to the Churchill's, but I don't understand how and the book doesn't say.

Comment

"The Complete History of Feminine Hygiene" by Trevor Marriott

Comment

I am not reading anything at the moment, but intend to read "Lady Don't Fall Backwards" by Darcy Sarto.

Comment

Dead Zero by Stephen Hunter. The Mark Walburgh movie Shooter was based on Stephen Hunter's book Point of Impact. Needless to say the book is better.

Comment

Reading

What I am reading now is [I]The Murder Room[I] by Michael Capuzzo. A very interesting book I might add...

Comment

I read that book recently too, Red, and enjoyed it. What an fascinating bunch of people those Vidocq Society members are.

I found it odd, though, that Capuzzo would include Richard Walter's street address and town in the book. A guy like Walter must have made more than a few enemies who might like to know where they could lay their hands on him, so to speak.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                      I am not reading anything at the moment, but intend to read "Lady Don't Fall Backwards" by Darcy Sarto.
                      I just noticed this, Robert. You made me laugh.

Comment

• I am finally filling a serious literary gap and working my way though Pratchett's Discworld novels.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                        I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

• Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages!!!

Originally posted by Ally View Post
                          I am finally filling a serious literary gap and working my way though Pratchett's Discworld novels.
                          Hi Ally,

If you haven't read it already then you really should try get hold of a copy of "Good Omens" a.k.a. 'The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch'. By Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. The "Angel" Aziraphale, the "Demon" Crowley, yes Crowley come on, you knew it was true!!! and the "Four Horsemen/Four Bikers of the Apocalypse" War, Famine, Pollution (Pestilence having retired in 1936 following the discovery of penicillin), and Death!!! Not to mention "The Chattering Order of St. Beryl" A truely great read.

Best wishes,
                          Zodiac.
                          Last edited by Zodiac; 02-08-2012, 05:57 AM.
                          And thus I clothe my naked villainy
                          With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
                          And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

Comment

• JTR and the case for Scotland Yard's prime suspect. Just about to get into the Kozminski did it.

Comment

• I love biographies and I'm on the most complete biography of Schumann available in French, "Schumann" by Brigitte François-Sappey, which is about 1000 pages.
                              Unfortunately, biographies are not what they used to be. Modern writers are often making their own sauce, they always opt for a diachronic framework, and all in all, it looks more a succession of considerations and personal ideas than a biography.
                              I wanted to read Schumann's life, I got Mrs François-Sappey's opinions about his life.

Comment

• self promoting post

This kind of biographies are generally a catastrophy, David.
                                By the by, you might want to read my monography (NOT biography) on Rossini, when it comes out in a couple years. I'm about to start writing this weekend. ;-)
                                And if you happen to read German, I could send you a copy of my first book (on politicized opera from the French Revolution to the Fin de siècle) which comes out this summer. I'm afraid Lynn and Ken/The Grave Maurice will also get a copy. I betcha that if you read my book, you'll log in at amazon and order all Meyerbeer recordings at once as a consequence.

By the by, earlier today I was booking a Hotel in Paris for my conf and it felt so nice listening to the voices and background noises of Paris resonating like it was next door – from across the Atlantic. I think I'm slightly missing France...
                                Best regards,
                                Maria

Comment

Working...
                                X