Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Man Who Hunted Jack the Ripper by Nicholas Connell

Ladies/Gents,

I need a hit, I've read Neil Bell's book about Victorian Bobbies to death and am desperately searching for something of a similar ilk.

Has anyone read this book? Could it hold the key?

Originally posted by PC2267 View Post
    Ladies/Gents,

I need a hit, I've read Neil Bell's book about Victorian Bobbies to death and am desperately searching for something of a similar ilk.

Hello PC2267

This is a book about Inspector Edmund Reid, who was heavily involved in the hunt for Jack the Ripper and arguably was more "hands on" in the day to day running of the investigation than the more famous Chief Inspector Frederick George Abberline. Nick Connell is a top notch researcher so the book is worth getting. Reid's later life was the subject of an article by Mr. Connell in the most recent issue of Ripperologist no. 147, December 2015. See below.

Best regards

Chris

Christopher T. George
    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by PC2267 View Post
      Ladies/Gents,

Good book,well written but holds no key if you're looking for one,but how many do lol
      Worth buying though.Met Nick at the conferences in the 90s,really nice fella.
      Inside the rear cover of my copy there's an ad for a book by Andrew Cook which says jtr never existed..... along Simon's thinking then?? Thought Simon was the first to put this idea forward
      You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

Cheers guys, I'm not really interested in another book claiming to have finally uncovered who Jack was.

My interest in the subject is from the police investigation point of view. So will give this book a bash. There's another booklet written by Walter DEW, have either of you read that?

Interesting theory, that he never really existed and that the murders were just isolated individual acts, takes the romance of the whole affair (if that's the right term), mind.

Comment

Walter Dew: The Man Who Caught Crippen, is another good book by Nicholas Connell with some Ripper chapters.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert View Post
            Walter Dew: The Man Who Caught Crippen, is another good book by Nicholas Connell with some Ripper chapters.
            Thanks Albert, I have seen that one, but wasn't sure how much Ripper information it contained. I'll try and track a copy down.

Comment

Hi PC2267, the first 6 chapters are ripper-related but they are not very long - totalling 38 pages in my hardback copy. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert View Post
                Hi PC2267, the first 6 chapters are ripper-related but they are not very long - totalling 38 pages in my hardback copy. Hope this helps.

Thanks Albert

Comment

Working...
                X