No announcement yet.

The Real Mary Kelly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, read it a good few years ago and lost it (with a few others), when I was moving house. Was glad to see it on Kindle for a bargain £1.59.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Lee View Post
      Bought this on Kindle, around a third of the way through and find the author is making far to many assumptions on his suspect. I would have been happy if it was a book about him tracing his supposed ancestor MJK/Elizabeth Davies. It does seem as if he has done his research, the notes are detailed. But can't help feeling he's jumping ahead of himself.

I also picked up William Beadles book Jack The Ripper Unmasked very cheaply on Kindle. Worth a read if anyone hasn't read it.
      Paul Begg, Rob McLaughlin and I interviewed the author of The Real Mary Kelly after some of his research had been checked into.

If you've not heard it and are interested:

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
        Paul Begg, Rob McLaughlin and I interviewed the author of The Real Mary Kelly after some of his research had been checked into.

If you've not heard it and are interested:

JM
        Thanks Jonathan, will give it a listen when I've more time. I'm supposed to be working.
        Brilliant work you do on those podcasts by the way.

Comment

This wasn't as good as I was expecting it to be. What I found particularly difficult was the lack of clear distinction between what was established fact and what was the author's speculation. The book was interesting and presented a reasonable argument in support of Elizabeth Weston-Davis being a viable contender to be MJK. However, the argument for Craig as JtR is wholly dependent on the assumption that Elizabeth Weston-Davis actually was MJK. If it turns out that she wasn't, the evidence in support of Craig's candidacy vanishes into thin air - because it's pure conjecture.
          I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
            This wasn't as good as I was expecting it to be. What I found particularly difficult was the lack of clear distinction between what was established fact and what was the author's speculation. The book was interesting and presented a reasonable argument in support of Elizabeth Weston-Davis being a viable contender to be MJK. However, the argument for Craig as JtR is wholly dependent on the assumption that Elizabeth Weston-Davis actually was MJK. If it turns out that she wasn't, the evidence in support of Craig's candidacy vanishes into thin air - because it's pure conjecture.
            Exactly.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
            X