Best suspect books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best suspect books?

I only have one suspect book- Rob House's book on Kosminski. Which I thought was awesome.

What's the best suspect book on:

Chapman-probably Helena's ?
    Tumblety-probably Mr. Evans?
    Bury
    Hutch
    James Kelly
    Druitt
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    I only have one suspect book- Rob House's book on Kosminski. Which I thought was awesome.

What's the best suspect book on:

Chapman-probably Helena's ?
    Tumblety-probably Mr. Evans and Prince of Quacks
    Bury - McPherson, less annoying than Beadle
    Hutch - Hinton, Chris Miles' will give you a chuckle
    James Kelly - Jim Tully
    Druitt - Jonathan Hainsworth's comes out in March. David Andersen's e-book Blood Harvest is currently available, if you can handle seeing Macnaghten's name rendered incorrectly a few hundred times.
    Hi Abs, here's my thoughts.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Abby

Jonathan has said that his book isn't really on Druitt, but I suspect it will be a really good read in any event. Whilst I don't agree with all of his ideas he is obviously a careful researcher with a passion foe his topic.

I suspect that I will be saying similar when Lechmere and Fisherman bring theirs out.

On Koz you really need mr edwards ground breaking DNA book.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
        It likely has been thrown to the ground with force more than any other Ripper book, so I'll give it that.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
          Hi Abs, here's my thoughts.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
          Thanks Tom
          Still waiting on your Le Grand book. Who I think is not only a viable candidate, but an intriguing character, who it will be interesting to read about his other shenanigans!

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Thanks Tom
            Still waiting on your Le Grand book. Who I think is not only a viable candidate, but an intriguing character, who it will be interesting to read about his other shenanigans!
            Thanks, Abby. I'm looking forward to it as well.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Abby

Jonathan has said that his book isn't really on Druitt, but I suspect it will be a really good read in any event. Whilst I don't agree with all of his ideas he is obviously a careful researcher with a passion foe his topic.

I suspect that I will be saying similar when Lechmere and Fisherman bring theirs out.

Thanks but

But Ix-nay on Jonathan H's book. If its mainly about his theory he espouses on these boards then I won't be able to follow.

I wouldn't even wipe my arse with Edwards book.

Looking forward to the lechs book.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Thanks but

But Ix-nay on Jonathan H's book. If its mainly about his theory he espouses on these boards then I won't be able to follow.

I wouldn't even wipe my arse with Edwards book.

Looking forward to the lechs book.
                You do know I was joking about Edwards don't you?
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

You do know I was joking about Edwards don't you?
                  Of course! But even the mention of his name pisses me off!

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Of course! But even the mention of his name pisses me off!
                    Good for a minute I thought you took me seriously, not a good idea at the best of times.
                    G U T

Comment

To A. Normal

I concur: don't waste a farthing on my book because it is just more of the same.

Much more ...

Even though it has an ace of a new source (that will, in March, be instantly reproduced here, free of charge) and is not a so-called 'suspect book' (it is really a biography of Sir Melville Macnaghten) it will still be a complete dud for you.

This will be true for many here, I predict, because it is not written as a police procedural at all.

In fact, it's style (of sometimes speaking as the protagonist) and narrative-driven structure are modeled on Rick Perlstein's book on Richard Nixon:

I said modeled -- I am not for a moment suggesting it reaches those lofty literary-historical heights.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan H View Post
                        To A. Normal

I concur: don't waste a farthing on my book because it is just more of the same.

Much more ...

Even though it has an ace of a new source (that will, in March, be instantly reproduced here, free of charge) and is not a so-called 'suspect book' (it is really a biography of Sir Melville Macnaghten) it will still be a complete dud for you.

This will be true for many here, I predict, because it is not written as a police procedural at all.

In fact, it's style (of sometimes speaking as the protagonist) and narrative-driven structure are modeled on Rick Perlstein's book on Richard Nixon:

I said modeled -- I am not for a moment suggesting it reaches those lofty literary-historical heights.
                        Wow!
                        Lofty aspirations indeed.

I read Perlstein's book "The Invisible Bridge", it was great (haven't read "Nixonland" yet).

Always a good sign if an author shoots for the moon.

Anyway, back to the post.

I'm re-reading Robert House's book on Kozminski, it is a great achievement.
                        A sober careful analysis without attempting to squeeze square facts into round holes.

(Pay attention out there, you know who I'm talking to).

For sheer enjoyment, Stephen Knight's "Jack the Ripper:The Final Solution" takes some beating (pity about the errors).

James Tully's book on James Kelly, The Secret of Prisoner 1167, was a very well thought out premise.

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
                          Wow!
                          Lofty aspirations indeed.

I read Perlstein's book "The Invisible Bridge", it was great (haven't read "Nixonland" yet).

Always a good sign if an author shoots for the moon.

Anyway, back to the post.

I'm re-reading Robert House's book on Kozminski, it is a great achievement.
                          A sober careful analysis without attempting to squeeze square facts into round holes.

(Pay attention out there, you know who I'm talking to).

For sheer enjoyment, Stephen Knight's "Jack the Ripper:The Final Solution" takes some beating (pity about the errors).

James Tully's book on James Kelly, The Secret of Prisoner 1167, was a very well thought out premise.
                          Thanks BarnFlat
                          Yes, Rob House's book is great!
                          and yes on Tully-I will be getting that.

Pass on Knights book-not much into fiction these days.
                          Unless its Tolkien-im a total geek when it comes to that.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Thanks BarnFlat
                            Yes, Rob House's book is great!
                            and yes on Tully-I will be getting that.

Pass on Knights book-not much into fiction these days.
                            Unless its Tolkien-im a total geek when it comes to that.
                            Cheers Abby.

This is the opening paragraph that Knight should have opened his book with.

With an opening like that, you would dived head first into his book.

"In a hole in the ground there lived a Sickert. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a Sickert-hole, and that means comfort."

Comment

Working...
                            X