Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two of the earliest JTR works now available in English

Dear All,

I have followed the Casebook for years - years! - and having myself amassed a collection of some +100 JTR/Whitechapel related works (the wife looks at me weirdly) I am proud to state the fact of having made 2 small contributions of my own which I would like to share - kindly notify if this is in any way against any rules, but as I have seen this type of post before I thought it might be in order.

In short: For some reason, two of the earliest works on JTR were written and published by Swedes (!) in 1889, i.e. right after (or even during, depending on whom You ask) the murders. The (apparently) very first one was "Jack the Ripper, or the tale of the nine-fold lady killer of London town, plus a sad ballad of Bloody Jack", by one Ansgarius Svensen (pseud.). Another one, also published in 1889, was "Who is Jack the Ripper? The tale of the horrific murders of women committed over the course of 3 years in the Whitechapel district of the English capital of London.

The latter one I believe has been available in English, but has been out of print for a number of years. The first one, to my knowledge, was never available in English. I have taken it upon myself to correct these "mistakes" and they are now available digitally through Kindle, priced at about USD10, I believe (so no Ferraris heading my way).

A few words as to these works: The purpose of the above works is not to "reveal" any Ripper candidate (oh no). Furthermore, to state that they mix fact with fiction (in particular the first one) would be very close to the truth. Hence, what is the merit? Well, they do give an insight as to how the murders were reported at the time, and they do occasionally state facts which does imply some kind of police or press connection, which is rather interesting.

All in all, and in all modesty, I am proud to have made a small contribution of something both rare and new, and
    ​which might appeal to people like myself who have read a lot of what is already available out there and take an interest also in the more "marginal" stuff. The links:

Ripper Jack - A Re-Issue of the World's First Book on The Ripper: (orig. by Ansgarius Svensen)

Who is Jack the Ripper?: The tale of the horrific murders of women committed over the course of 3 years in the Whitechapel district of the English capital of London. (1889)

Any feedback welcome - send here or to jtr@webwords.se

/ Erik Iancovici, author

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

The curious might look at Ripperologist Magazine #155 (April 2017) wherein Jan Bondeson describes both pamphlets.

JM

Comment

Working...
    X