Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bank Holiday Murders by Tom Wescott (2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While I do not agree with every conclusion in the book I am glad that Tom Wescott recognizes what so many of us have also come to feel - that Mary Ann Connolly was a congenital liar and that her story about the two soldiers is more than likely completely false. If so then it also confirms in my mind that Tabram was a Ripper victim.

Comment

• IPPY Award Winner

Just a quick note to announce that The Bank Holiday Murders was given the bronze medal for Best History Book of the year by the IPPY awards, which is one of the bigger awards for independent books. I'm very pleased by this. It's rare for Ripper books to win awards, particularly in the 'History' category.

Also, Ripperologist is giving away a free signed copy of my book in their latest issue. Go get it.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Well Done

G'day Tom

Congratulations.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
          Just a quick note to announce that The Bank Holiday Murders was given the bronze medal for Best History Book of the year by the IPPY awards, which is one of the bigger awards for independent books. I'm very pleased by this. It's rare for Ripper books to win awards, particularly in the 'History' category.

Also, Ripperologist is giving away a free signed copy of my book in their latest issue. Go get it.
          I'm pleased for you too Tom. Well done!
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Congrats, Tom! Quite an honor.

Comment

• Of course if you visit Amazon, you can get an unsigned copy much cheaper by quoting number xxxxx....only kidding....nice one Tom...congratulations!

All the best

Dave

Comment

• A well deserved award, for sure.
                Best Wishes,
                Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                  Congratulation, Tom!

Well done.

Comment

• congrats

Hello Tom. Congratulations.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

• Thanks, all!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Just a quick note to announce that The Bank Holiday Murders was given the bronze medal for Best History Book of the year by the IPPY awards, which is one of the bigger awards for independent books....
                        Yeah, doesn't surprise me.

Wolf.

Comment

• Sincere congratulations, Tom. Well deserved!
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• I just wanted to post and say thank you to Tom for getting me back interested in the Ripper case. About 12 years ago as a 15/16 year old I became extremely interested in them because of From Hell. I spent about a year reading the Complete JTR and other books (though you can imagine the conversation trying to explain to a mother about wanting a JTR book).

Like any teenager I got distracted with other things, college, life, and moved on. Until I stumbled upon Tom's book on amazon, though I have no idea how and decided to see what new things have been discovered in 12 years.

I was not prepared for such a thoroughly researched and enjoyably written book. At times I was almost sad that Tom did not include more of his opinion because I felt his train of thought made logical, believable sense in almost every case (with a few exceptions of course).

The book relit my interest so much that I've now been thoroughly consumed with reading over the forums and listing to old podcasts.

I suspect I will be mostly a lurker on the forums and will spend far more time reading than writing, but I just wanted to say Thank You to Tom for reigniting the case when I least suspected it.

Comment

• Tom

Hello Dane. Welcome to the boards.

Well spoke. Tom is one of a new wave of researchers who are trying to divest the case of its nonsense.

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

• Hi Dane,

Please post that as a review on Amazon!

Tom's book reminds me of basic scientific research. The vast majority of most scientists who aren't at genius level (no offense, Tom), find an area of interest and then intensely study a very small part of that area. To outsiders this looks ridiculous (e.g., why are you studying chemicals in bee venom?). And 95% of the time, nothing beneficial to humankind will come from the research. That's why it is called basic research. Once in awhile, however, this research will yield a surprising finding (e.g., chemicals in bee venom appear to kill HIV while leaving surrounding cells unharmed). Only a tiny subset of these encouraging findings will ultimately prove useful, but these will revolutionize society. The catch is, of course, that when you begin to study bee venom you may have no clue that it will lead to anything worthwhile. Usually one strikes out. Gregor Mendel wasn't thinking about the eradication of genetically based diseases when he was studying pea plants.

Tom is probably wrong, but just maybe he is on to something that will revolutionize Ripperology. To me it almost doesn't matter. His book was extremely well researched, highly novel, and made me think. The hard work and process are what needs to be celebrated and encouraged of others.
                                Last edited by Barnaby; 06-24-2014, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X