Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bank Holiday Murders by Tom Wescott (2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fundamental divide

Hello Tom. And THAT is the fundamental divide--whether Smith died from a gang assault and Martha from a soldier; or, both fell victim to a heavy handed local thug who was to keep the "ladies" in line.

If this holds up it greatly changes the face of the pre-canonical five.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

• Or either or both could have been killed by the same person who killed the later victims.

Positive reviews so far - those Yankee Dollars must be rolling into Tulsa. Mine should be in the next 24 hours.
      Or so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
        Or either or both could have been killed by the same person who killed the later victims.

Positive reviews so far - those Yankee Dollars must be rolling into Tulsa. Mine should be in the next 24 hours.
        Or so.
        Mine too - but I will have to wait for the book for a fortnight. That´s why I keep saying that Sweden is far out.

Fisherman

Comment

• I think Tom discusses the Nichols case - it will be interesting.

Comment

• Only as far as Leather Apron and Connelly are concerned.
            Best Wishes,
            Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
              I think Tom discusses the Nichols case - it will be interesting.
              I´m looking forward to that part specifically, yes. All good things to those who wait ...!

Fisherman
              Last edited by Fisherman; 03-07-2014, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                I´m looking forward to that part specifically, yes. All good things to those who wait ...!

Fisherman
                You and Ed will particularly like the part where I reveal that Pearly Poll's real name is Pearly Lechmere.

Do Swedes order from amazon.co.uk?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                  You and Ed will particularly like the part where I reveal that Pearly Poll's real name is Pearly Lechmere.

Do Swedes order from amazon.co.uk?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                  This Swede did - in the end. Which is why I must wait for such a long time for the book (it had BETTER be good!).
                  I normally use a Swedish site called AdLibris. What you can get from Amazon, you can get from AdLibris.

But not this time over. It seems the site has a Wescott filter.

You need to contact them and straighten them out - there´s a healthy number of potential buyers in this neck of the woods, believe it or not.

Now I really don´t have any more time to chat with you - I´m off to Ancestry to dig for Pearly Lechmere.

Fisherman

Comment

• Are Kronar good Way Out West?

I'm cancelling my order after Hunter's spoiler.

I have sometimes wondered whether the small clue Pearly Poll told the police about a man living near Bucks Row related to Robert Paul.
                    This story (The Echo 20th September 1888) was connected to another about a suspicious person who was seen near Pearl Street.

Bucks Row is a couple of minutes from Paul's house.
                    Pearl Street about a minutes from his workplace.
                    We know Paul was fetched in the middle of the night by the police.

Comment

Tom Wescott
                      How in the world did I miss that?

I was planning to go back through the book, this time with a note pad and arrange things in ways that make sense to me in order to wrap my head around some of these things.

Congratulations, Tom, Nicely done with lots of new research.

I'm curious about why you're so sure Pearly Poll can't be the murderer? (I don't think she is for my own reasons, but would like to hear yours since she is so deep in this.)

She was big and masculine, right? Annie Chapman got on the wrong side of one of her friends and wound up dead . . .

We don't know whether the others got in trouble with someone and also ended up dead, but it appears that possibly Polly Nichols did . . . or at least she was unhappy living where she was.

Anyway, interesting book. I have to go back through this some more before I can discuss it in any depth.

Good job.

Velma

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                        Hello Tom. And THAT is the fundamental divide--whether Smith died from a gang assault and Martha from a soldier; or, both fell victim to a heavy handed local thug who was to keep the "ladies" in line.

If this holds up it greatly changes the face of the pre-canonical five.

Cheers.
                        LC
                        I've been thinking about this heavy handed local thug. To me, it can't be a nobody or even a son, relative, or worker for one of the doss house bosses. If it were, these pros could easily control their situations and not have to resort to fabricating witnesses and stories as Tom suggests. I'm thinking this must be someone who has some extortive power over these gentlemen in some way.

Comment

• fear

Hello Barnaby. Thanks.

Or some way to produce fear.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

• Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
                            I've been thinking about this heavy handed local thug. To me, it can't be a nobody or even a son, relative, or worker for one of the doss house bosses. If it were, these pros could easily control their situations and not have to resort to fabricating witnesses and stories as Tom suggests. I'm thinking this must be someone who has some extortive power over these gentlemen in some way.
                            Hi Barnaby. I'm intrigued by your thoughts but I'm not sure I fully understand what you're saying. You mean the murderer is someone exerting power over the landlords?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by curious View Post
                              How in the world did I miss that?

I was planning to go back through the book, this time with a note pad and arrange things in ways that make sense to me in order to wrap my head around some of these things.

Congratulations, Tom, Nicely done with lots of new research.

I'm curious about why you're so sure Pearly Poll can't be the murderer? (I don't think she is for my own reasons, but would like to hear yours since she is so deep in this.)

She was big and masculine, right? Annie Chapman got on the wrong side of one of her friends and wound up dead . . .

We don't know whether the others got in trouble with someone and also ended up dead, but it appears that possibly Polly Nichols did . . . or at least she was unhappy living where she was.

Anyway, interesting book. I have to go back through this some more before I can discuss it in any depth.

Good job.

Velma
                              Hi Curious, thanks so much for that. Why do I think Pearly Poll was not the Ripper? For starters, in the general sense, the murders are just not consistent with a female hand. I believe the murderer was taller and much stronger than the victims and Pearly Poll was constantly plagued with health problems. There's just nothing there that would suggest she killed these women. But I think she knew who did.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Curious, thanks so much for that. Why do I think Pearly Poll was not the Ripper? For starters, in the general sense, the murders are just not consistent with a female hand. I believe the murderer was taller and much stronger than the victims and Pearly Poll was constantly plagued with health problems. There's just nothing there that would suggest she killed these women. But I think she knew who did.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                                Tom,
                                Thanks. I like the taller and stronger. I think Pearly Poll was taller, but I had not considered the fact that Pearly Poll was ill so much.

Is anything known of her family? Brothers, cousins, etc.? guys lived with or married to?

As I read through the book, I was wondering if perhaps Poll was lesbian . . .

Anyway, I've just finished reading through the footnotes and am ready to start back through the book

Velma

Comment

Working...
                                X