Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bank Holiday Murders by Tom Wescott (2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
    Hey Tom,

Just wondering if your article in the Ripperologist purposefully coincided with the release of the book or if this is just a happy coincidence? I somewhat expect that I will see you making the talk-show circuit next week!

Keep up the great work!!!
    Hi Barnaby. It was not a coincidence. Talk shows? Not likely. But keep an ear out for podcasts.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• I was pleased to see an overall good review from Paul Begg in the new Rip, although he woefully misrepresented my views in the middle part of the review. Nevertheless, I appreciate the positive sentiment.

Incidentally, anyone wishing to be so kind and review my book on Amazon, please do so on the same Amazon site (i.e. amazom.co.uk, .ca, etc.) you purchased the book at so that it comes up as a 'verified' review. Too many unverified reviews on a kindle purchase can cause suspicion and get deleted.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• That would be my review.

I did purchase the Bank Holiday book from Kindle's American Amazon site, which the ONLY account I've ever opened with them.

But, apparently, because I'm Australian I have to do reviews from the newly created Australian Amazon site.

Their mistake which they want to penalise me for!
        I think the ringing in my ears is not high blood pressure, just the death knell of my relationship with Kindle.

Stuff 'em!
        dustymiller
        aka drstrange

Comment

• Hey Tom,

I bought mine on Kindle (after loaning it for a day). I plan on writing a review when I am done but am worried about your comment about Kindle reviews. Hopefully it works.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
            At least I can now read my existing Kindle books in comfort...
            I just have to sneak the ipad from the Boss.
            Actually, if you have a smart phone, you can download Kindle for that and not have to be sneaky. You simply have your books anywhere you go. Then, if you wish to read on the iPad or laptop, you always can as the accounts sync.

I love having something to read no matter where I am as my phone goes every where with me.

curious

Comment

• Originally posted by curious View Post
              Actually, if you have a smart phone, you can download Kindle for that and not have to be sneaky. You simply have your books anywhere you go. Then, if you wish to read on the iPad or laptop, you always can as the accounts sync.

I love having something to read no matter where I am as my phone goes every where with me.

curious

I don't own a cell phone/mobile, not interested in being available 24/7, "I am not a number, I'm a free man" (as they say).

But thankyou for the thought...
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by curious View Post

I have always been partial to actual physical books and still prefer them when many illustrations are included. But it is nice to have reading material available on Android. If a few moments become available you can read a few pages anywhere. And the pages never fall out from overuse - i.e. the Ultimate Sourcebook. Some books I now have in hardcopy and Kindle - i.e. the Ultimate Sourcebook.
                Best Wishes,
                Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

I don't own a cell phone/mobile, not interested in being available 24/7, "I am not a number, I'm a free man" (as they say).

But thankyou for the thought...
                  I do own a cell phone - keeps customers from calling my house after hours. I remember my father not getting to eat supper because of the business calls after he got home from working all day. It was the only way and time they could contact him. Cell phones have changed that. As for being avaliable 24/7... that's up to the user. I only answer mine at certain times and folks usually figure it out pretty soon. They can leave a message. The books, navigation apps, weather apps and hundreds of valuable options make smart phones indispensible to me... and I'm an old fashioned kind of guy.

Oh, by the way... bought Tom's book on Kindle and enjoying it so far. Noticed in Rip that Begg and Bennet are coming out with a non-canonical murders book too. This may be the year for and indepth look an discussion into these. "Bout time I'd say.

Got a little more to go on Tom's book but I'd already highly recommend it... And subscribe to Ripperologist, too.
                  Best Wishes,
                  Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

• Originally posted by Hunter View Post
                    I do own a cell phone - keeps customers from calling my house after hours. I remember my father not getting to eat supper because of the business calls after he got home from working all day. It was the only way and time they could contact him. Cell phones have changed that. As for being avaliable 24/7... that's up to the user. I only answer mine at certain times and folks usually figure it out pretty soon. They can leave a message. The books, navigation apps, weather apps and hundreds of valuable options make smart phones indispensible to me... and I'm an old fashioned kind of guy.

Oh, by the way... bought Tom's book on Kindle and enjoying it so far. Noticed in Rip that Begg and Bennet are coming out with a non-canonical murders book too. This may be the year for and indepth look an discussion into these. "Bout time I'd say.

Got a little more to go on Tom's book but I'd already highly recommend it... And subscribe to Ripperologist, too.
                    Thanks Yes, I have not found time to get into Rip 136, in fact that reminded me I never received 135 from Adam, he just replied this morning with a link.

I'm promised an est. del. date from Amazon of Mar 10th for Tom's book. I'm sure it will be everything readers are saying about it.
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• My review's up on Amazon.com (US). Titled "A Stunner" (which it is), I gave it five stars.
                      - Ginger

Comment

• Ginger's review

Hi Ginger, yes you did and I very much appreciate your gracious comments. Indeed, you should be doing reviews for Ripperologist as it seems you actually read the book! Here's a bit of what Ginger had to say:

"The Bank Holiday Murders" presents strong circumstantial evidence to connect Mary Ann Connelly, aka 'Pearly Poll', as an accomplice after the fact, if not before, to several of the canonical murders, as well as firmly linking her to people prominent in the Whitechapel community. While Connelly's credibility as a witness in the murder of Martha Tabram has never been very good, Wescott completely demolishes it, and in doing so convincingly paints her as a much more sinister figure than the bumbling attention-seeker hitherto portrayed. In the process, several things that have always seemed incongruous about this case suddenly start to make sense.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Well my review's up on Amazon.co.uk too...probably not as cogently written as Ginger's, but I was anxious for it not to be a spoiler vis a vis the Connelly demolition... it's a five from me too...

It's honestly a damned good book, and ought to be on the required reading list for any would-be-ripperologist

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                            Well my review's up on Amazon.co.uk too...probably not as cogently written as Ginger's, but I was anxious for it not to be a spoiler vis a vis the Connelly demolition... it's a five from me too...

It's honestly a damned good book, and ought to be on the required reading list for any would-be-ripperologist

All the best

Dave
                            Thanks for that Dave. From you that's high praise indeed.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Hi Tom,

I must admit that I am only half way through this book. I have a few questions but will reserve those for now because you might answer them by the time I finish the book!

Having prefaced my comments, this book is outstanding! A tour de force! The first book that has gotten me super excited about the case without having to take a leap of faith in years. Definitely a 5 of 5 which I will post to Amazon when I complete my review.

I know this isn't supposed to be a suspect book, but halfway through you are just laying this at the door of someone very specific. Or more specifically, the victims whom ironically we have ignored are quite literally laying themselves at his door. I don't think you think this man did it, but it follows that the killer is connected to a rather tight circle, if of higher social class than most think (sword stick!), and for the first time in a long while I'm thinking it may just be possible to identify him.

Bravo!
                              Last edited by Barnaby; 03-05-2014, 11:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
                                Hi Tom,

I must admit that I am only half way through this book. I have a few questions but will reserve those for now because you might answer them by the time I finish the book!

Having prefaced my comments, this book is outstanding! A tour de force! The first book that has gotten me super excited about the case without having to take a leap of faith in years. Definitely a 5 of 5 which I will post to Amazon when I complete my review.

I know this isn't supposed to be a suspect book, but halfway through you are just laying this at the door of someone very specific. Or more specifically, the victims whom ironically we have ignored are quite literally laying themselves at his door. I don't think you think this man did it, but it follows that the killer is connected to a rather tight circle, if of higher social class than most think (sword stick!), and for the first time in a long while I'm thinking it may just be possible to identify him.

Bravo!
                                Thanks, Barnaby. I'm taking a bit of a beating from the old-timers on the other site so it's nice to see someone who's not married to the old notions enjoying the book for what it is. I very much look forward to your review, comments, and questions.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                                X