Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what new to buy?

Hi all,
    having just broused on amazon for some new JTR books to buy, I was amazed how many there are now. Many I have never heard of before. So rather than reading evedy title review on there, can people tell me the best new ( newish ) titles to take a punt with.
    Many thanks in advance.

That depends so much on your experience, how much you've read so far, and how generally aware you are...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Paul Begg and John Bennett have a nbew book out soon
      “be just and fear not”

Comment

Originally posted by Jenni Shelden View Post
        Paul Begg and John Bennett have a new book out soon
        Yes, that's a bit of a no-brainer. I'll certainly be buying that. Also coming soon is the definitive book on George Chapman by Helena Wojtczak called 'Jack the Ripper At Last?'.
        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Hi,
          My library consists of nearly twenty books, that includes all the quality ones, and some silly ones. The last one I purchased was CSI Whitechapel.
          I guess im looking for something with a different angle or suspects, but without being completly silly!
          Thanks!

Comment

Severin

I'd definitely go for the Helena Wojtczak book on Chapman then...that'll be something a bit different...and having read her Railwaywomen book she can certainly write - I'll certainly be buying it...

The other one I'm personally umming and aahing about at the moment is "Jack the Ripper: The Definitive Casebook by Richard Whittington-Egan" which is a complete update on his earlier work...I think I might well put it on my Christmas pressy list just on the offchance one of my family feels generous!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
              I'd definitely go for the Helena Wojtczak book on Chapman then...that'll be something a bit different...and having read her Railwaywomen book she can certainly write - I'll certainly be buying it...
              Dave
              Aww thank you Dave and Steve for the thumbs up. I guess it's time the book got its own thread......
              Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Jack the Ripper at Last? The Mysterious Murders of George Chapman.

Number 69 of the limited edition of 100 luxury hardbacks is up for grabs!

The book has just received its second review!

Helena

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Too late!

71 is the next one available!

Comment

Mike Covell has written me a wonderful review on Amazon and on his blog.
                    ==========================================

George Chapman, the notorious "Southwark Poisoner" has deserved a decent book about his life and crimes for years, if not for him, but for the victims he killed and the trail of destruction he left behind. There are other Chapman books on the market, but what sets this one apart is the attention to detail and dissection of every aspect of Chapman's life, crimes, and representation in the media. It doesn't regurgitate the old myths surrounding him either, it takes these and demolishes them.

The book is split into six sections, covering topics such as his life, crimes, investigation and execution, motive, myths, and whether or not he was, or even deserved to be called "Jack the Ripper." Furthermore, each part is split even further into decent bite size chunks for the reader to dip into and devour.

What I found most interesting about the book is the way Chapman is presented. He is not given to us as a continent hopping multiple murderer, but instead as a man who worked his way through life, encountering women, poison, and the ultimately the noose.
                    The chapter regarding the stories and myths surrounding his life was fascinating, and I was amazed at the number of stories and myths surrounding him, stories that seem to be commonly accepted facts. Helena takes these stories and shows them to be falsehoods by placing them alongside contemporary historical sources.

The chapter regarding his candidacy as "Jack the Ripper" appealed to me most, being a Ripperologist, and I was fascinated by the 15 points set out against Chapman as Ripper. Helena takes these points and discusses them against contemporary historical sources, presenting a fair and balanced argument for her theories.

The overall presentation of the book is outstanding,(hardback edition) from its sleek design, photographic glossy paper, and lavish silk page mark. It is also well researched, well presented, and thoroughly referenced throughout.

The book will appeal to those with an interest in true crime, criminal history, and anyone, like me, with an interest in "Jack the Ripper."

Comment

I'd definitely go for the Helena Wojtczak book on Chapman
                      I've received my copy in the last few days. One or two things have cropped up to delay me from getting very far into it, but the first few pages are enough to convince me that it's well-written and well-researched.
                      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                        the first few pages are enough to convince me that it's well-written and well-researched.
                        Thank you Mr Bridewell!

Helena

Comment

Hi all,

I have some catching-up to do so I've just ordered Helena's book on Chapman, The Complete and Essential JTR by Paul Begg and John Bennet and have also thrown in Philip Hutchinson's JTR Location Photographs for good measure.

This will go nicely with my current reading of Iain Sinclair's Scarlet Tracings and Lud Heat... ...or will it?

By the by, after reading some articles on victorianlondon.org, my wife is convinced that the answer to solving the Ripper case lies in the Italian community of Soho and other areas who lived and worked quite separated from the rest of the city. I asked her why she thinks that the LVP Italians did it and she said "they have knives".

So... case solved, eh.

Kind regards,

Boris
                          ~ All perils, specially malignant, are recurrent - Thomas De Quincey ~

Comment

I highly recommend Tom Wescott's award winning book "The Bank Holiday Murders" given you already have a familiarity with the case. When I first read an overview I was less than enthused because the murder of the pre-canonicals didn't really excite me. After reading Tom's book, my view of this entire case has changed substantially. That's all you can hope for in a book.

I also recommend James Tully's "Prisoner 1167" book as a suspect book if you haven't yet read it. James Kelly was my favorite suspect, at least prior to Tom's book. I'm currently trying to make Kelly's timeline fit the pre-canonicals!
                            Last edited by Barnaby; 05-18-2014, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Hello Barnaby,

thanks for your suggestions, added Tom Wescott's book to my order, the few pages I was allowed to read via Amazon's preview option really caught my interest.

I already have Prisoner 1167 and can wholeheartedly recommend it as well.

Kind regards,

Boris
                              ~ All perils, specially malignant, are recurrent - Thomas De Quincey ~

Comment

Working...
                              X