The Fifth Victim - Antonia Alexander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fifth Victim - Antonia Alexander

Has anyone else read The Fifth Victim, the new book by Antonia Alexander about Mary Kelly ?

It starts with Alexander's Grandmother giving her a locket with Dr John Williams' picture in it and the story of how it belonged to her grandmother Mary Kelly.
    Then over half the book is another run through of the Uncle Jack story we all already know. It finishes with the few details gleaned from the Grandmother about Kelly (left her husband to follow Williams to London, did not die in Millers Court but returned to husband in Wales - who therefore had not died in a mining accident.)

If you believe the word of one woman then we have the full story of Mary Kelly, but this book gives me no reason to trust, especially as we don't even get a photograph of the all important locket !

Hi Hkev,
    I am in the process of reading it at the moment and am already digesting it as I go.

Needless to say, it adds nothing to the credibilty of the idea of John William's being the Ripper.

I hope to get it finished with it soon and then I will be sharing my thoughts.

Jenni
    “be just and fear not”

Comment

See article in MAIL ONLINE today. www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article2432987
      This book should be in the fiction section. Antonia Alexander 'claims' she is the great grandadughter of Mary Kelly and guess what, John WILLIAMS, yes him again, was her lover and murderer.

Roll on the money!
      Miss Marple
      Last edited by miss marple; 09-26-2013, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
        See article in MAIL ONLINE today. www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article2432987
        This book should be in the fiction section. Antonia Alexander 'claims' she is the great grandadughter of Mary Kelly and guess what, John WILLIAMS, yes him again, was her lover and murderer.

Roll on the money!
        Miss Marple
        I'm currently reading this at the moment (see my comments on Mary Kelly victims).I do keep going on about Victoria sponge cake but that's the most exciting part of the book so far
        Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Hi,
          I can't give a view on the book as I have yet to purchase it.
          However if it is a work of fiction , I would say that it is wrong by the author to suggest that its her family history, and crediting that to the Millers court Victim.
          If indeed she was the grand-daughter..many times over, and indeed if it is absolute that this is the case, and a locket does exist in the family collection portraying Dr Williams, and this a fact ..then all I can say is Bingo.....
          But there is two many If's at this stage ..so fingers crossed, and toes.
          But it is all a dream isn't it?
          Regards Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
            Hi,
            I can't give a view on the book as I have yet to purchase it.
            However if it is a work of fiction , I would say that it is wrong by the author to suggest that its her family history, and crediting that to the Millers court Victim.
            If indeed she was the grand-daughter..many times over, and indeed if it is absolute that this is the case, and a locket does exist in the family collection portraying Dr Williams, and this a fact ..then all I can say is Bingo.....
            But there is two many If's at this stage ..so fingers crossed, and toes.
            But it is all a dream isn't it?
            Regards Richard.
            Least there's no royal coaches or long lost diarys in it just some good old fashioned lies
            Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Hi Jason,
              If it is just fiction, with a history lesson added, that's fine, but It should not hide behind...I am the Great----, if it is not true, because it is cheating the public, in order to make a bundle.
              Not all buyers of the book will have years of experience on this subject, and it would be wrong to give people the impression that they were reading family history in relation to the last Ripper victim.
              That's my honest feeling.
              Regards Richard.

Comment

Hi Jason,
                If it is just fiction, with a history lesson added, that's fine, but It should not hide behind...I am the Great----, if it is not true, because it is cheating the public, in order to make a bundle.
                Not all buyers of the book will have years of experience on this subject, and it would be wrong to give people the impression that they were reading family history in relation to the last Ripper victim.
                That's my honest feeling.
                Regards Richard.
                I've survived the duke of Clarence been jtr I've survived the diary been found in Liverpool I even survived Michael caine playing inspector abeline on the hundredth anniversary two part tv special so why will a women who reckons she's a descendent of Mary Kelly upset me.I will give the lunatic Fringe a run for their money when I release my book I'm just waiting to make up some facts then I'm starting typing .cheers Richard good job we have a sense of humour.

Comment

Hi Jason,
                  Well I have got my suspect..Henry Maxwell, I have his assistant Carrie Maxwell,I have all the drama of hoax letters, and false accounts, I can add that Mrs M used to wash his soiled clothing , with the remark '' How did you get into a mess like this?''
                  And on top of that blockbuster, I can add that they were relations of my cousin.
                  I can see it now..Best seller, film offers, Johnny Depp itching on playing the lead.
                  But I do eat a lot of cheese..
                  Regards Richard.

Comment

Hi Jason,
                    Well I have got my suspect..Henry Maxwell, I have his assistant Carrie Maxwell,I have all the drama of hoax letters, and false accounts, I can add that Mrs M used to wash his soiled clothing , with the remark '' How did you get into a mess like this?''
                    And on top of that blockbuster, I can add that they were relations of my cousin.
                    I can see it now..Best seller, film offers, Johnny Depp itching on playing the lead.
                    Regards Richard.
                    Cheers Richard and good luck
                    Last edited by pinkmoon; 09-26-2013, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Hi Jason,
                      Regards Richard.
                      Mines miles better and once I've finished making the facts up I'm going to publish.The sad thing is people will buy it!

Comment

We have all been chasing our tales looking for one Mary Kelly .. ( not including Kate AKA Mary Kelly ) now we have Mary Kelly's best friend also a Mary Kelly who is the real Mary Kelly .. although her name is not really Mary Kelly ?????? and not the Great Great whatever of the author anyway .. So who was Mary Kelly ( Millers court victim ) ??????? OK back to square one

moonbegger

Comment

Originally posted by hkev View Post
                          Has anyone else read The Fifth Victim, the new book by Antonia Alexander about Mary Kelly ?

If you believe the word of one woman then we have the full story of Mary Kelly, but this book gives me no reason to trust, especially as we don't even get a photograph of the all important locket !
                          Here's a photo of the locket referred to in the book, supposedly belonging to Mary Jane Kelly and supposedly containing a picture of Dr. John Williams.

John
                          Attached Files
                          "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
                          Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

If this woman is the descendant of Mary Kelly, she would I hope, have included a full family tree in her book, to back up her claims. I have no intention of reading this fiction so perhaps those who have taken on the task can enlighten us.
                            Is she just rehashing the John Williams book written by his descendant, from a different angle, a companion piece perhaps? Is she using the same Welsh Mary in that book[ now discredited] as her ancestor?

Miss Marple

Comment

Hey, we have the guy who thinks Lewis Carroll is JtR based on highly suspect "anagrams" so Mary Kelly's great-whatever should be no surprise. I always have believed Mary Kelly wasn't the victim at Miller's Court anyway, so maybe I'll give this book a shot...
                              And the questions always linger, no real answer in sight

Comment

Working...
                              X