The People of the Abyss by Jack London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The People of the Abyss by Jack London

This has got to be the most upsetting, most depressing book I have ever read, and with London's discovery had me wonder why Queen Victoria did not sell even one earring to bring that entire district the help it so desperately needed. Why do humans choose supreme riches for one at the cost of supreme poverty for others?

New schools - get those people educated, developing a skill.
    Proper sanitation.
    Regulate those doss houses and work houses to force minimum standards.

One lousy diamond earring from that Queen could have done it all.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221020-202758.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	797592
    "We do not remember days, we remember moments." ~ Cesare Pavese

Cheers!

Books by BJ Thompson
    Author - www.booksbybjthompson.com
    Email - barbara@booksbybjthompson.com

Originally posted by BooksbyBJThompson View Post
    This has got to be the most upsetting, most depressing book I have ever read, and with London's discovery had me wonder why Queen Victoria did not sell even one earring to bring that entire district the help it so desperately needed. Why do humans choose supreme riches for one at the cost of supreme poverty for others?

New schools - get those people educated, developing a skill.
    Proper sanitation.
    Regulate those doss houses and work houses to force minimum standards.

One lousy diamond earring from that Queen could have done it all.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221020-202758.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	797592

''The only thing necessary for evil to triumph in the world is that good men [and women] do nothing''.

Evil , Poverty , Suffering , insert them all if you like, same thing really . Its always been the way of the world .

'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

[QUOTE=BooksbyBJThompson;n797591] Why do humans choose supreme riches for one at the cost of supreme poverty for others?

"For the love of money is the root of all evil." 1 Timothy 6:10

Why a four-year-old child could understand this report! Run out and find me a four-year-old child, I can't make head or tail of it.

Comment

I’m just reading this again for the first time in about 10 years . It never fails to sadden me . I think the
        “ Spitalfields nippers “ book acts as a perfect accompaniment to it , adding faces and life stories to those who lived in that area around that time .

Comment

Working...
        X