X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• caz
    replied
    Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post
    An exceedingly minor point, but one photo left me wondering why Fat Eddy is called Fat Eddy. He doesn't look the least bit fat. Was it meant to be ironic---'a fat lot of use you are'---or does 'fat' have some specific meaning in Liverpool slang?

New Orleans has 'Fat Tuesday,' which has nothing whatsoever to do with the slender Ms. Weld.
    And Mardi Gras has nothing to do with Fat Eddie as far as I am aware. In 1992 it fell on 3rd March, six days before he set foot in Maybrick's old house for the first time, so I expect he was fed up with pancakes by then.

I imagine the nickname was akin to "Curly" in Coronation Street, who had poker straight hair.

An exceedingly simple explanation, signifying nothing.
    Last edited by caz; 11-11-2022, 05:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• barnflatwyngarde
    replied
    My copy has just arrived, so these are first impressions, and not a critique of the books contents.

First of all, it's a beautiful looking book with a striking cover.

The paper quality is top notch, and the illustrations are of a very high quality, which is not always the case in books dealing with the case.

The binding is excellent and should ensure that the book will not fall apart. This is something which sometimes happens when publishers use high quality paper (which is heavier than paper of a lower quality).

So all in all, Adam and his team should be very proud in producing such a beautiful and striking looking book.

And yes, I confess that I'm a reconstructed old bibliophile.

Leave a comment:

• erobitha
    replied
    And now learn there was never a skip. Just a hop and a jump.
    Who actually knows? Eddie has told people one thing and others another. We have workmen claiming they threw old books in a skip in the late 80s, and it all gets very confusing.

Good thing we have the timesheets with evidence that the floorboards were up. Eddie himself admits that even though his name is not on the worksheets, that he was there on that day of March 9th 1992. The day floorboards were up and the day Mike phone Doreen with 'The Diary of Jack the Ripper'. Yet, he found nothing.

Nothing he wishes to prosecuted for at least.

Leave a comment:

• rjpalmer
    replied
    Originally posted by erobitha View Post
    Eddie was never fat. Where exactly did such a moniker for him originate from?
    Yes, I guess it's Eddie and not Eddy.

Robert Anderson, Caroline Brown, and David Orsam all have old posts referring to him as 'Fat Eddie.' I think James J. used the phrase, too, but I assumed there must have been a reason for it. I had originally misread it and referred to him as 'Fast Eddie.' Either way, it makes him sound like a gangster from 1940s noir.

And, by the way, long before Ed Stow applied it to Lechmere, Robert Anderson even coined a phase: "All Roads Lead to Fat Eddie."

And now learn there was never a skip. Just a hop and a jump.
    Last edited by rjpalmer; 09-26-2022, 06:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• erobitha
    replied
    Eddie was never fat. Where exactly did such a moniker for him originate from?

Leave a comment:

• milchmanuk
    replied
    An exceedingly minor point, but one photo left me wondering why Fat Eddy is called Fat Eddy. He doesn't look the least bit fat. Was it meant to be ironic---'a fat lot of use you are'---or does 'fat' have some specific meaning in Liverpool slang?

New Orleans has 'Fat Tuesday,' which has nothing whatsoever to do with the slender Ms. Weld.
    like " Ivor the Boneless"
    could be tall as a runner bean
    & so on.
    i like these.
    i stayed with minor points to avoid tassel & let the readers enjoy it,
    & i haven't read it yet.
    but it is a quality book !
    your exceedingly interested you should start a thread rjpalmer.

Leave a comment:

• rjpalmer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• milchmanuk
    started a topic Maybrick book

Maybrick book

hi
    just opened my copy,
    WOW a product,
    i wondered what i ordered as first the size of it.
    massive compared to my collection,
    pictures throughout which is really nice.
    sketches photos and colour slides of all sorts.
    not started the read yet,
    but i leave this to you and any one who,s finnished it to review and thread !
Working...
X