New Ripper Book Due Out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ripper Book Due Out.

I hadn’t heard of this book until a friend pointed it out to me.

Imagine you were a police officer and had been dominated as a child by an abusive mother who didn’t really want you and as an…
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

From the cover it looks like a fit up of PC Endacott from the Cass case.
    Find a name from the period, build your story from there.
    Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
      From the cover it looks like a fit up of PC Endacott from the Cass case.
      Find a name from the period, build your story from there.
      Looks like it Al. I wonder if they’ll ever run out of suspects?
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Looks like it Al. I wonder if they’ll ever run out of suspects?
        Only if they stop making anyone who was about at the time into a suspect Herlock.

Comment

Well, lets see now....
          Pick a person no-one else has named, make a few unfounded assumptions, offer some baseless accusations, then insist you prove them wrong.
          Sounds like a winning formula to me...

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

somebody should write a book about all the BS ripper suspects/theories! might be twenty volumes though! LOL

Comment

I remember the ‘old’ days when I used to look forward to every new book. I don’t want to pre-judge but these days I have to suppress a groan when I hear of a new one about to emerge. At one point I’d have said that I owned pretty much every ripper book except a couple of the rarer, more expensive ones, but now there must be loads of books that I haven’t bothered to buy and have no intention of buying. There’s a new one on the diary coming out but I can’t see me getting that one. I’m undecided on the Beattie one though as I’m echoing Wick’s post. I might wait for a review in Rip. I wonder if Paul has a copy yet?
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I hadn’t heard of this book until a friend pointed it out to me.

https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Jack...rdback/p/21443
                I note that the book runs to 216 pages, slightly longer than Christer Holmgren's book at 206 pages.

​​​​​​​I alway feel slightly wary when someone tells me that they have definitively identified the killer in what is probably the greatest unsolved crime in history, and it only took them slightly over 200 pages to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

I note that the book runs to 216 pages, slightly longer than Christer Holmgren's book at 206 pages.

​​​​​​​I alway feel slightly wary when someone tells me that they have definitively identified the killer in what is probably the greatest unsolved crime in history, and it only took them slightly over 200 pages to do it.
                  Call me Mr Cynical but I’m kind of expecting about 200 pages of re-telling of the case followed by 10 pages about the Cass case then 6 pages on why he was Jack.

I might wait until you’ve bought it first Barn
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Call me Mr Cynical but I’m kind of expecting about 200 pages of re-telling of the case followed by 10 pages about the Cass case then 6 pages on why he was Jack.

I might wait until you’ve bought it first Barn
                    Hi Herlock, I'm not certain that I'll be buying this one. I think I'll request it from my library. I'll let you know what I think, although I'm hoping that Paul Begg reviews it for Ripperologist .

Comment

While you’re on here Barn, I’m just nearing the end of one of the best biographies that I’ve ever read. It’s Lincoln by David Herbert Donald. Highly recommended.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

While you’re on here Barn, I’m just nearing the end of one of the best biographies that I’ve ever read. It’s Lincoln by David Herbert Donald. Highly recommended.
                        Thanks for this Herlock, I'll certainly add it to my reading list. I've got "A Team of Rivals" by Doris Kearns Goodwin on my "to read" list. It's highly regarded, and is about how Lincoln reached out to all political sides to form his administration.
                        if you're into great political biographies you really must read the massive biography by Robert Caro of Lyndon Johnson.

He's written 4 massive tomes right up to when LBJ assumes the presidency after Dallas, and he's almost finished the final volume.

I started with volume 4 " Passage to Power", and it reads like a thriller.

Highly recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

Thanks for this Herlock, I'll certainly add it to my reading list. I've got "A Team of Rivals" by Doris Kearns Goodwin on my "to read" list. It's highly regarded, and is about how Lincoln reached out to all political sides to form his administration.
                          if you're into great political biographies you really must read the massive biography by Robert Caro of Lyndon Johnson.

He's written 4 massive tomes right up to when LBJ assumes the presidency after Dallas, and he's almost finished the final volume.

I started with volume 4 " Passage to Power", and it reads like a thriller.

Highly recommended.
                          I remember you recommending the Caro book Barn. I saw a documentary a few weeks ago and Caro was on it but I can’t recall which documentary it was. The Kearns Goodwin book is also on my list, she makes regular appearances on American history documentaries and I saw her on a recent docu-drama about Lincoln which was really good if you get chance to see it.
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I received this book on Saturday and will be reading it soon. It is very short about 160 pages or so. we will see how it goes.

Comment

Hi Andrea, I’d forgotten about this book so I ordered it today. We’ll be interested to hear what you think about it. It seems a long time since a new Ripperologist was issued as it would be interesting to read Paul Begg’s review.
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                              X