Rare JTR book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare JTR book

Does anyone know if it's possible to get Matter's The mystery of Jack the Ripper in America? Possibly in a rare books store

It's not difficult at all, Sarah. The last print of it, certainly in the UK, was an Arrow paperback (no photos, though) in 1964. It had two 'major' runs in 1928 and 1948 (these with the photos).

Copies come up for sale on eBay every month or so, usually closing at around the $80 mark, though most copies are here in the UK.

Simply log into Abe Books and have a look for a copy. I'll be surprised if you don't find one quite soon.

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Give this link a try :

The Mystery Of Jack The Ripper by Leonard W. Matters and a great selection of related books, art and collectibles available now at AbeBooks.co.uk.

PHILIP

Comment

thanks George!

Comment

New RARE Ripper book!!

Hello everyone,

I had posted an earlier message but was not sure where to put it, so am posting here.

I am a new author who is offering the world and everyone here the opportunity to discover the true identity of Jack the Ripper!

I have a rare Ripper-related book available on ebay - also along with an opportunity to pre-order another book due out later this year - check it out;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160253553271

also

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160253554514

I would also like to start a new thread on suspect Dr Barnardo (the real Ripper), as it appears the old thread as I remember it is gone? How can I start this - am I able to start a new thread in the suspects page?

Anyone is free to message me with their thoughts

Regards,
          AJ.
          "The answer your've all been looking for...is here at last!"

Comment

Hi AJ

I saw your eBay page last night. I shan't pass comment on your idea. I'll leave that to everyone else.

You are welcome to start a thread on Barnardo yourself. There is a reason why one doesn't exist at the moment.

Personally, if you are going to start maligning one of the greatest philanthropists the UK ever created, I think you better have a pretty thick skin.

PHILIP

Comment

Thanks for replying George,

Yes, I have now started a new thread 'Dr Barnardo is the killer...?', in the general discussion area - hopefully that is the right place. As for my skin - according to my allegations - it is aligator thick - so bring it on!

Barnardo may be seen as a national icon in terms of his organisation - but who here really knows about his life? Dont get confused with what his organisation represents today with the man who founded it - he was not what you consider ordinary, but most definately a man with vunerabilties that have left traces behind which connect him to his crimes...oh not just murder, but a whole list of crimes,

1) Forgery
              2) Impersonation
              3) Kidnapping
              4) Embezzlement
              5) Assault
              6) Home invasion
              7) Breaking & entering etc etc

The list goes on...but I do want people to buy my book, so I might refrain from entering any further on that...perhaps.

Mmm...I suppose if you really want to look at it - you give me one suspect that was taken to court for forging letters, breaking into people's homes in the middle of the night, beating women (also getting beaten by women!), having a morbid facination with women's sexual diseases, even going so far in getting a degree in the field - even though your barred from ever practising medicine!, and your close friends & business associates are Robert Anderson, Charles Warren, Howard Vincent (founder of CID - yes thats right folks you saw it here first!)...and thats just the very tip of the iceberg!

Barnardo became a Freemason in the middle of the Ripper investigation - mmm just envisioned alot of people right now rolling their eyes towards the sky...well no one here knew that did they?

I do fear that history has become so facinated with the subject of the Ripper...it has entirely lost the concept that it can be solved...now I have no problem in slowly getting an answer out to the world (along with the mystery of Diana's death), but I have known for a long time that this would be an up-hill struggle....I guess it just makes the truth all that little bit more shocking...

AND THE UNDENIABLE TRUTH IS DEVASTATING!

In the words of Ripper enthusiast Patricia Cornwall "I bet my reputation on it".

Yes, it may be sad to hear that Dr Barnardo actually killed those women, but it is worse to know how he did and got away with it, and why for so long the public have not got wind of the story - or the complete story that is.

I look forward to hearing from all, and answering when possible.

Regards,
              AJ.
              "The answer your've all been looking for...is here at last!"

Comment

Hi AJ. Well, thanks for being CIVIL. Most people we get here saying they've solved the case (one a month as a rule, every other one with a book to sell) get to be extremely rude as soon as anyone challenges them.

I have a feeling that - though you won't bring anyone here on side - you could well be bringing some interesting debate to the forums (as opposed to fighting).

PHILIP

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                  In the words of Ripper enthusiast Patricia Cornwall "I bet my reputation on it".
                  And look how well that worked out for her...

Dan Norder
                  Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
                  Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

You are right George there are no photos in Matters book 1964 Arrow.
                    It is a mighty good read though.

Julie

Comment

Just out of curiosity, can any of my English cohorts tell me if Frank Spiering's book is still banned in the UK?
                      “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Didn't Know

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
                        Just out of curiosity, can any of my English cohorts tell me if Frank Spiering's book is still banned in the UK?
                        I didn't know that it was ever banned. A very poor book, it was never published in the UK, presumably because no publisher over here was interested.
                        SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

AJ
                          With no disrespect to you, I find it difficult to believe that you have uncovered, for SURE that Dr. Bernardo was JTR and was guilty of so many crimes listed in your post. There are so many renown and well respected authors and ripperologists who no doubt would have uncovered factual info. pointing to Dr. Bernardo as JTR if it were there to uncover.
                          I do however wish you luck, and if you sell your theory and have it accepted I will be the first one to congradulate you.
                          I will for sure buy your book and am looking forward to reading the PROVEN FACTS that you have.
                          Regards
                          Julie

Comment

Julie - the guy was a no mark. He did the eBay auction, a respected poster here won it - and he refused to send the item. The book never showed and neither did the old Victorian Barnardo item. They're long gone and good riddance to them.

PHILIP

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
                              I didn't know that it was ever banned. A very poor book, it was never published in the UK, presumably because no publisher over here was interested.

That makes sense.

I had a hardcover edition that claimed it was banned under the same rules that banned "Spycatcher" and "Courting Disaster", but it's likely that it was a marketing ploy.
                              “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Working...
                              X