Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subterranean City: Beneath the Streets of London

Subterranean City: Beneath the Streets of London

Has anyone read this book? Does it discuss the tunnels/passages below Mitre Square?

It sounds quite interesting even if there is no mention of the ripper sites. I've been debating buying it. My local library has a copy, but it is 'checked out' and won't be available until next month.

Hi DS,

do you know the name of the author of this book? Some time ago I read a book about subterranean London, written by a female author whose name I've forgotten. It was a good read, but I can't recall it contained anything about JtR.
    Plenty of stuff about ancient delvings, plague-pits, vaults, and so forth.

Graham
    We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Afraid not. I've recently finished reading 'Underground London, Travels Beneath the City Streets' by Stephen Smith which is a mildly interesting read about plague pits, Roman structures, lost Underground stops and the like.

Comment

I think the author is Antony Clayton.

Comment

I have an incredibly good book called "London Under London" that covers much of the same territory
          “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

There are several books on this interesting subject.

The latest is London Under by Peter Ackroyd.
            allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

This site www.abandonedstations.org.uk in itself is fascinating, albeit without any reference to Mitre Square.

Graham
              We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Re the cartoon on that site : in the early days, you couldn't look out of the window because there were no windows. These carriages were unpopular (called padded cells, I believe) and they were replaced by window carriages.

Comment

Robert: I can just imagine the level of motion sickness that Londoners would have experienced by riding a train with no windows. The Underground tunnels are dark, but I can perceive just enough motion or movement out of the train windows to help with motion sickness.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Drummond

I had assumed the main problem would have been claustrophobia, but yes, I suppose motion sickness would have come into it too.

When the first escalators were introduced, a one-legged man was hired to ride up and down the escalator all day long, to demonstrate the safety of the new-fangled conveyance.

Comment

Working...
                      X