Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vilhelm Dybwad- "Guilty or not Guilty" 1934

Hello all,

I first posted this many a moon ago in Ripperana, way back in the mid 1990's,and have since found a little titbit of info to expand it. So I will share with you all on here on this occasion.

Vilhelm Dywad is a Norwegian author.He wrote a book in 1934, published by Gyldendal, called "Skyldig Eller Ikke Skyldig", which translates to
    "Guilty Or Not Guilty". This book is so rare now that only two examples are kept in public libraries throughout Norway. My local library decided, in their wisdom, followed other libraries and destroyed their copy....(along with other old books....)

Various "cases" are looked into, and on page 116, Dybwad starts the chapter entitled "Hvem var Jack the Ripper?" or, "Who was Jack the Ripper?"

He starts off the chapter with a translation of the Dear Boss letter, and another snippet of a letter poorly translated. Already in 1934, he states, there have been written "many thick books on the subject of "Jack" ...", and jumps headlong into the Pedachenko theory. 10 lines later, John Pizer is brought into the forray. who was "a nasty type of person", and one who "scared the whole of the East End".

According to Dybwad, after the "third" victim, on and after the 8th of September, over a dozen were arrested for the murder. The week afterwards, over 20 more. All were released.He then states that the murderer must have been an insane, bloodthirsty surgeon. He then list the victims, Turner (Tabram) through Kelly.

He goes through Leonard Matters' book, from 1929, quite thoroughly, for such a short chapter, and summarises that Dr Stanley seems to be the Ripper.
    When I originally reviewed this book in the mid 90's I originally thought that Pedachenko was Dywad's favourite. Upon reading it again, it is now clear that Dr Stanley is Dybwad's man.

By page 129, after 13 pages, the chapter is complete. 8 foreign and 5 English cases are touched upon. The other English mysteries are

Madame Rachel (1868)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madame_Rachel,

The Lever Brothers v the Daily Mail(1906)

The Green Bicycle Case (1919)

The Car on Fire (1930).

Having gone through various other small literary works around this time, it appears Dybwad "borrowed" his ideas and write ups from a German author, who published much of the same only a few years before him, although the vast majority of the "foreign" cases Dybwad writes of are French.

The chapter on JTR is short, incoherent for the most part and badly disorganised. The pages dedicated towards the Dr Stanley story and it's virtues, is better, but very badly chopped. There is much poor theorising at the end too.

Hope this is of some interest.

best wishes

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....
Working...
X