True Crime books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True Crime books

Just hoping for a few suggestions for potential purchases of true crime books. I recently read the book The Fatal Passion Of Alma Rattenbury which I thought was excellent but I’m struggling to find other titles that get my interest. I tend to prefer historical cases (solved or unsolved) I’d also like to know if there’s been another book on the Ratcliffe Highway Murders apart from The Maul And The Pear Tree?

Titles, authors and comments/reviews would be appreciated.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Hi Herlock, you might try this:

The Gatton Murders: A True Story of Lust, Vengeance and Vile Retribution by Stephanie Bennett

An appropriate read at this time of year because the murders of 2 sisters and their brother took place between Christmas and New Year in 1898.
    Why a four-year-old child could understand this report! Run out and find me a four-year-old child, I can't make head or tail of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post

The Gatton Murders: A True Story of Lust, Vengeance and Vile Retribution by Stephanie Bennett

An appropriate read at this time of year because the murders of 2 sisters and their brother took place between Christmas and New Year in 1898.
      An interesting mystery.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

"The Green Bicycle Murder" by C Wendy East. One of my all time favourite cases.

The Titchbourne Claimant, interesting case due to the constraints of international communication.

Jeremy Bambers always interesting.

"Newton and the Counterfeiter" by Thomas Levinson, certainly historical and a great read generally. Shatters any perceptions you had of Isaac Newton, he was a Bastard through and through.

Anyway, that's my tuppence worth.
        Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post

Thanks Enigma
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
            "The Green Bicycle Murder" by C Wendy East. One of my all time favourite cases.

The Titchbourne Claimant, interesting case due to the constraints of international communication.

Jeremy Bambers always interesting.

"Newton and the Counterfeiter" by Thomas Levinson, certainly historical and a great read generally. Shatters any perceptions you had of Isaac Newton, he was a Bastard through and through.

Anyway, that's my tuppence worth.
            Thanks Al

Ive only read one book on the Green Bicylcle Murder. It was one of the ColdCaseJury series by Antony Brown. I’ve also read one on the Tichbourne Claimant a few years ago. I’ve just googled it and I think that it was the Robyn Annear book.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

A couple from my side of the pond-

American Eve: Evelyn Nesbit, Stanford White, the Birth of the "It" Girl and the Crime of the Century. by Paula Uruburu

The Man from the Train: The Solving of a Century-Old Serial Killer Mystery. by Bill James & Rachel McCarthy

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
                A couple from my side of the pond-

American Eve: Evelyn Nesbit, Stanford White, the Birth of the "It" Girl and the Crime of the Century. by Paula Uruburu

The Man from the Train: The Solving of a Century-Old Serial Killer Mystery. by Bill James & Rachel McCarthy

JM
                Thanks Jon. I’ll look them up
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

mindhunter by douglas. good history of fbi profiling division.

the ripper koz book by rob house is excellent. imho the best suspect book.

chasing the devil .the green river serial killer book by the sheriff on the case.

ill be gone in the dark about golden state killer. mcnamara. crazy i just finished it and next day they caught him.

have you read lord orsams two books?

"Is all that we see or seem
                  but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                  quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                    mindhunter by douglas. good history of fbi profiling division.

the ripper koz book by rob house is excellent. imho the best suspect book.

chasing the devil .the green river serial killer book by the sheriff on the case.

ill be gone in the dark about golden state killer. mcnamara. crazy i just finished it and next day they caught him.

have you read lord orsams two books?
                    Hi Abby,

Yes I’ve read His Lordship’s two books. Excellent stuff. I’ve also read Mindhunter and I have Rob House’s book which I read again few months ago. I agree with your assessment too as I can’t think of a better suspect book. It would certainly be on my recommended Ripper books list. I also enjoyed John Malcolm’s recent book too by the way.

Thanks for the recommendations Abby
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Hi Herlock,

I strongly suspect that you will have already read it, but Truman Capote's "In Cold Blood" is a classic of the genre and always worth a read / re-read.

I'm going to give Rob House's Koz book a go based on the recommendations in this thread....

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
                        Hi Herlock,

I strongly suspect that you will have already read it, but Truman Capote's "In Cold Blood" is a classic of the genre and always worth a read / re-read.

I'm going to give Rob House's Koz book a go based on the recommendations in this thread....
                        Hi Ms D,

I have read In Cold Blood but it’s one that I’ve meant to re-visit as it must be 30 years since I did.
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

It's definitely worth a re-read!

Comment

I did by one true crime book today. It was Rex v Edith Thompson by Laura Thompson (2018)

Like most shops I find that the True Crime section in Waterstones is pretty poor. I noticed 5 Ripper titles but very, very few books that I’d have even considered buying. Far too many gang-related books or books like Britain’s Hardest Moron.

Does anyone know of a decent source for True Crime books (apart from Mango of course) I prefer books on historical cases, unsolved murders or mysteries that kind of thing.
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Oh what a night! Twitter brings £1,000 worth of orders to empty bookshop

Petersfield Bookshop had no customers for first time in 100-year history – until a sad tweet attracted 1,100 new followers

Comment

Working...
                              X