Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your thoughts on The Five by Hallie Rubenhold???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
    Hi and welcome.
    "Experts"? You'll start a whole new debate there...
    Oh, don't be so modest . . . I believe in you guys!

Comment

The balance of probability would seem to suggest that...

Comment

While the goal of presenting the canonical five as actual women rather than just victims was admirable, the book was executed rather poorly. I agree that she only presented information that supported her hypothesis, and twisted much of that. Many of her claims were not footnoted or supported at all. Overall, I was disappointed and her conduct on social media is appalling.

Comment

Hi all,

I’m glad I read this before buying the book! From what I read, not worth it. Sleeping? In a backyard while she could have slept in the house, in Annies case? Or just in a corner of a square where cops passed through every 10-15 minutes? A new theory for certain!

Comment

It read like a Catherine Cookson novel to me. I fear this has TV mini series written all over it.

Tristan

Comment

I thought this was a book worth reading. Some of her criticism is valid to my mind, but some not. Yes, painting all ripperologists as misogynistic is unfair but the assumption, by some, that these women were all active prostitutes is worthy of re-evaluation. It is quite reasonable to suggest that the evidence that all these women were actively prostituting themselves is sketchy - because it is. Stride was classed as a prostitute in her homeland because she had a child out of wedlock. After reaching the UK she is said to have been arrested only once for that offence but many times for drunkenness. Rubenhold suggests that the common thread between the victims is alcoholism rather than prostitution and I agree with her. Prostitution was involved but, whilst claiming that none of The Five was a prostitute flies in the face of the evidence, a blanket assumption, then and now, that all were prostitutes is unwarranted. This is a book which needed to be written and I like the fact that the author breaks off each account without going into a detailed description of the murders. There are thousands of books in the genre which focus on the deaths. This one keeps the emphasis on their lives and is all the better for that. 'The Five' is a worthwhile addition and I commend it. Yes, Hallie Rubenhold has a agenda but she is hardly unique in the field when so many supposedly revelatory volumes are simply trying to push a suspect, often on quite flimsy evidence.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins twisting facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (as Sherlock Holmes).

Comment

Working...
              X