A New Cornwell Sickert/Ripper Book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Cornwell Sickert/Ripper Book?

I attach a link which seems to suggest that a new book by Patricia Cornwell propogating her Walter Sickert theory, is in the pipeline.

I've had a brief look at the article, and, apart from a suggestion that the Ripper carried on beyond 1888, and murdered children, I can't seem to see anything which is "new".

Can anyone confirm that a new book by Cornwell is coming?

After some digging, it appears that the article relates to her previous book "Ripper: The Secret Life of Walter Sickert" which was published in 2017.

So it looks like we are safely in a Sickert free zone for a while at least.

I have to say that I did enjoy "Ripper: The Secret Life of Walter Sickert".
    It was beautifully produced on really high quality paper.

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
      After some digging, it appears that the article relates to her previous book "Ripper: The Secret Life of Walter Sickert" which was published in 2017.

So it looks like we are safely in a Sickert free zone for a while at least.

It was beautifully produced on really high quality paper.
      hi barnflat
      I bought and tried to read her sickert book but only got a few chapters in before I just couldn't endure it any longer. I had to stop when she said all/most of the ripper letters were written by sickert. what a bunch of drivel. I literally tossed it in the can with great gusto, and although I was out a few bucks, it really felt great and was worth the price of admission. IMHO it now resides where it rightfully belongs.
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

hi twan
        welcome to the nut house!
        if you haven't done so already get yourself Sugdens A complete history of Jack the ripper. its the best book on the ripper IMHO.
        also, for the best debunker of ripper nonsense and a great analysis of many ripper sub-mysteries I would recommend checking out Lord Orsams website (unfortunately hes not on these boards anymore). Just google Orsam Books.
        Have fun!
        Last edited by jmenges; 12-18-2019, 04:42 PM. Reason: Abby- You quoted spam with a spam link. I removed the quote but left the rest. JM

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

hi barnflat
          I bought and tried to read her sickert book but only got a few chapters in before I just couldn't endure it any longer. I had to stop when she said all/most of the ripper letters were written by sickert. what a bunch of drivel. I literally tossed it in the can with great gusto, and although I was out a few bucks, it really felt great and was worth the price of admission. IMHO it now resides where it rightfully belongs.
          Are you saying that Sickert wasn’t the ripper Abby?
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

hi barnflat
            Hi Abby, I agree that Cornwell fatally overeggs some of her points, and no, I don't think Sickert was the ripper.

However, the book itself (the hardback copy) is a beautifully produced item.
            Obviously Cornwell had the clout to insist on the highest quality for the book.

The only other ripper book I have read that matched that physical quality was Whittington-Egan's "Jack the Ripper: The Definitive Casebook", (the hardback copy).

A well produced book is a beautiful thing to handle and own.

Comment

Hi Abby, I agree that Cornwell fatally overeggs some of her points, and no, I don't think Sickert was the ripper.

However, the book itself (the hardback copy) is a beautifully produced item.
              Obviously Cornwell had the clout to insist on the highest quality for the book.

The only other ripper book I have read that matched that physical quality was Whittington-Egan's "Jack the Ripper: The Definitive Casebook", (the hardback copy).

A well produced book is a beautiful thing to handle and own.
              hi barn
              you cant judge a book by its cover ; )

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Are you saying that Sickert wasn’t the ripper Abby?
                yup. and even if by the slight possibility he was a valid candidate-her book destroys it

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

I seem to recall that Cornwell's original book also floated the idea that Sickert had killed a child, but by that late point in the book, everything was so beyond tenuous that she was suggesting anyone who died during Sickert's lifetime may have been by his hand
                  Last edited by tanta07; 12-19-2019, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tanta07 View Post
                    I seem to recall that Cornwell's original book also floated the idea that Sickert had killed a child, but by that late point in the book, everything was so beyond tenuous that she was suggesting anyone who died during Sickert's lifetime may have been by his hand
                    How he found time to commit all those murders in between his prolific letter writing is beyond me.

Comment

You have with this book proof positive that modern science is as vulnerable to misinterpretation as guesswork was in the LVP during that Fall of 88.
                      Michael Richards

Comment

I tried to order a copy, but was sent Thurber: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.

I was going to send it back, but then I started to realize there were vital clues in those strange hairline drawings of his.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thurber.JPG
Views:	557
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	728748

Comment

How he found time to commit all those murders in between his prolific letter writing is beyond me.
                          He did a bit of arts and craft as well didn't he?
                          Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

He did a bit of arts and craft as well didn't he?
                            A few doodles here and there, nothing of any consequence.

Comment

Working...
                            X