Jack the Ripper: American Hero (Corbett) 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack the Ripper: American Hero (Corbett) 2012

This was mentioned on the forums a while back and I've patiently waited on feedback, but none has come, so I'm curious if anyone has read this. The 'solution' is just preposterous enough to make for one helluva read. Here's the blurb from Amazon.

The sensational and controversial new solution to the world's greatest murder mystery. Did the hero who took down Abraham Lincoln's slayer go on to become the most notorious killer of all time? It would appear so. This new investigation is a must read for all Ripper and Lincoln buffs, as well as any reader who enjoys a cracking good tale. See Boston Corbett and Jack the Ripper as you've never seen them before, and see them for the first time for what they really were - one and the same!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Count me out, Tom...

The best,
    Fisherman

Comment

You know they're going to blame mercury poisoning and the fact that he castrated himself to say he was crazy. I think he was wise on the last bit.

Mike
      huh?

Comment

Agreement

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
        Count me out, Tom...

The best,
        Fisherman
        And me! We write articles in the same edition of Ripperologist and now we start agreeing on Casebook. Are we in fact the same person? Let's ask Lechmere; no, that won't work...

Regards, Bridlecherman.
        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Fisherman's Bridewell....Hmmm...Knock off one half you lot and we're left with...

Fisherman's Widow!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Did the hero who took down Abraham Lincoln's slayer . . .

Hero seems an odd term to apply to Corbett for his killing of Booth.

Don.
            "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Found a message board on another site that discusses this,

Comment

It's a rip off. A con job. A disgrace.

The 'author' has lifted the inquest reports from Casebook, even forgetting to remove the copy highlighting from that of Kelly before submitting his manuscript for printing, and the case against Corbett consists of two and a bit pages of basic facts apparently lifted from Wikipedia, and because Corbett 'disappeared' in 1888, the author argues that he came to England.

Comment

Well, the Pauls have spoken.

That's a real disappointment. I thought if nothing else it would offer new info on Corbett since presumably the author is a descendant. Unfortunately, I've already ordered a copy.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Tom.

The author is apparently not a descendant of "Boston" Corbett, they just share the same last name.

The book is 224 pages long. I skipped over the inquest testimony taken, as Paul has pointed out, from the Casebook newspaper section (news reports we have all probably read dozens of times) and finished the whole thing in about 5 minutes.

On top of this the thing is so poorly written that it's literally laughable. I particularly liked the part where Corbett "escaped from the asylum and went on the lamb" (how big this animal was or where he got it is not explained). Probably the worst book ever written on any subject in the history of human life on this planet (and they are free to use this quote on the back cover).

Wolf.

Comment

Wolf,

"escaped from the asylum and went on the lamb"

Is that when he used the alias "Mint Sauce"?

Thanks for the review -- it sounds unbelievably bad.

Don.
                      "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Sounds like the worst book baaah none then...

Dave

Comment

Corbett went nuts at the state house in Topeka, Kansas (where I once hailed from, within spitting distance), attacked a few guards, was sent to the Topeka State Hospital, and escaped. He did go missing in 1888, presumably to England, his country of origin (I may be wrong, going from memory, something about a hat maker). He became a religious zealot, cutting off his special parts. He ended up back in the states living in a dug-out, which is a literal hole in the ground, somewhere in West-Central Kansas. Corbett was a freaking lunatic...but, IMO, not the Ripper.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Vanderlinden View Post
                            On top of this the thing is so poorly written that it's literally laughable. I particularly liked the part where Corbett "escaped from the asylum and went on the lamb" (how big this animal was or where he got it is not explained). Probably the worst book ever written on any subject in the history of human life on this planet....
                            Wolf.
                            Damn glad I read this review before I bought the book and got fleeced. You are sometimes too subtle though, Wolf. You should try to state your opinions more forcefully.

Comment

Don.

Is that when he used the alias "Mint Sauce"?
                              I was going to say that he was a very baaaahd man but Dave seems to have beat me to that punchline.

Jonathan.

He did go missing in 1888, presumably to England, his country of origin
                              Actually, after his escape from the asylum Corbett hid out at the home of a friend. When he decided to, or was asked to, move on Cobett told the friend that he was going to Mexico. His trail ends when he rode off (apparently on his trusty sheep "Lightning"). There is no evidence to prove where he actually went or what ever happened to him. The author, therefore, can't place Corbett anywhere near London, or anywhere else for that matter, in 1888. I find that to be a bit of a sticking point to this "theory."

Hi GM.

You are sometimes too subtle though, Wolf. You should try to state your opinions more forcefully.
                              Yes. I am a bit of a shrinking violet.

Wolf.

Comment

Working...
                              X