Who Was Jack The Ripper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Was Jack The Ripper?

Hi everyone, I'm a newcomer to Casebook, but have been fascinated by the Whitechapel Murders since I was 15 years old and read The Final Solution (I know, I know - got to admit it's a great yarn though). I have an ulterior motive though, as follows: Due to financial strife I am agrieved to say that I must part with my 1st edition copy of Who Was Jack The Ripper? One of only 100 1st editions published and compiled by Camille Wolff, contributions from all the major experts of the time (1995) and signed by all essayists involved, even Jeremy Beadle (Legend). It is currently on ebay if anyone out there should care to bid for it, it's a rare treasure and I shall miss it!

Code:
    [URL="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270987335875?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270987335875?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649[/URL]
    Attached Files

Hi Minstrel. I don't engage in bids, but I would be interested in buying it.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

It's a nice copy, MB, but in the current market I think it's rather overpriced. Good luck with it, though.

Comment

Hi Minstrel,

Welcome to the boards. I agree with The GM that it's on the pricey side for a book under 20 years old (although I'm sure the signatures will be a big selling point). I think it's an interesting lot and I hope you find a buyer. Sadly my pockets are not that deep.

Regards, Bridewell.
        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback peeps...

I thought that a 300% increase on the original price was a bit steep, unique a book though it is. I was going on the only other two copies I could find online for as my compass. I would be delighted to let it go for £250, have one watcher at the moment, but no bids. I'm going to have to put my back issues of Ripperana (I have every copy to date - smarmy, but true) up next, times are tough! Thanks again y'all.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
            Hi Minstrel. I don't engage in bids, but I would be interested in buying it.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
            (In the guise of Terry Tibbs) Talk to me! Seriously though, would you like to make an offer? I am receptive

Comment

Hi Minstrel. You don't have a number in mind? How about $100 then. That's American money.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

The signatures and the condition are what make the book valuable. Not that long ago, it would easily have fetched 250 quid but the market is rather depressed at the moment. My guess is that the current fair market value is about 150 quid. With luck, maybe Stewart Evans will drop by here with an opinion: he is more knowledgable than I.

Comment

There are two copies, similarly signed, on Abebooks at £300, and a reprint with just a couple of signatures at £100...wherther or not they'll be sold at those prices, is, of course, a different matter...

Dave

Comment

Spe

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                    The signatures and the condition are what make the book valuable. Not that long ago, it would easily have fetched 250 quid but the market is rather depressed at the moment. My guess is that the current fair market value is about 150 quid. With luck, maybe Stewart Evans will drop by here with an opinion: he is more knowledgable than I.
                    Hi Maurice,

Just checked. Stewart's not posted since November last year. I wish he'd start up again. I have much to learn.

Regards, Bridewell.
                    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Quite right. Nothing has a value until someone is willing to put up the cash. I tried to send you some advice by PM, MB, but apparently I can't do that until you have a certain number of posts. Anyway, hang on to the book and at some point we'll get to talk about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cognibrus
                        There are two copies, similarly signed, on Abebooks at £300, and a reprint with just a couple of signatures at £100...wherther or not they'll be sold at those prices, is, of course, a different matter...
                        Those have been for sale for about 10 years now.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Thanks again for all the advice folks...

... I think I may hold onto the book until times are a little easier and pockets are deeper, only because I belive the book is worth a bit more than the offers I have recieved on ebay so far in approaches. It's the scarcity and collectability of the book more than anything that gives it some value. It cost £100 pounds upon publication because of the signatures and 100 copy print run, maybe it will need a little more time to appreciate. Into vacuum packed plastic it goes!

Thanks again for all the interest and help guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                            Hi Minstrel. You don't have a number in mind? How about $100 then. That's American money.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                            *Gasp! American dollars? They must be worth loads! My fiancee is from Miami and I happen to know that the almighty dollar ain't so almighty anymore, so thank you sir, but I must decline your kind offer. $100! That's about £3.50 at today's rate innit?

Comment

Well I've had to drop the price. £150 now. Have a bid already, so it may have a new owner soon after all.

Comment

Working...
                              X