No announcement yet.

Jack the Ripper: CSI Whitechapel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THE KILLER OR KILLERS OF LOW CLASS WOMEN IN THE EAST END OF LONDON AND ITS METROPOLITAN AREA / 1888-1891

CSI: SPITAFIELDS, BETHNEL GREEN, ALDGATE, ST. GEORGES-IN-THE EAST,POPLAR and a little whitchapel thrown in for good measure
    But that won't leave enough room on the cover for the Top Hat!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
      But that won't leave enough room on the cover for the Top Hat!

Dave
      A top hat with everything written on it?

Comment

Would it help if the book itself were in the shape of a top-hat? Or if there were an alarming pop-up top-hat inside the front cover?

Also, I'm slightly disappointed that despite the superb maps, photography and artwork within, the cover doesn't sufficiently depict the well-documented red velvet lining of the Ripper's swirling cape.

No, seriously can't wait to get hold of it.

And thank you mariab for the additional recommendation - appreciated.

Comment

Publishers Dream

That dear Henry is just what the world is lacking...you're a genius mate...a child's pop-up guide to Jack the Ripper with removable organs and detachable dagger...we'll make a fortune!

Dave

Comment

Dave I wouldn't be surprised if the Horrible Histories series has already covered it in their 'Vile Villains' volume. But my god, your idea for removable organs is marketing gold! Never mind children, I'd buy a copy!

No, on second thoughts it is a silly idea.

I want Paul and John's book instead. It has maps and scholarship. Your idea is ghoulish, Dave. I'm worried about you. Honestly, it's always 'Jack the Ripper this' and 'Jack the Ripper that' with you - every time I come here you're just banging on about all that horrible old murder stuff. It's not normal, Dave, not at all...

Comment

I meant satin, not velvet. Apologies all.

Comment

Rofl

I want Paul and John's book instead. It has maps and scholarship. Your idea is ghoulish, Dave. I'm worried about you. Honestly, it's always 'Jack the Ripper this' and 'Jack the Ripper that' with you - every time I come here you're just banging on about all that horrible old murder stuff. It's not normal, Dave, not at all...
                Thus I am repaid for every quip and crack I've offered you...I'm still chuckling out loud and my daughter thinks I'm cracked...Nice one mate!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Flower View Post
                  Dave I wouldn't be surprised if the Horrible Histories series has already covered it in their 'Vile Villains' volume.
                  In 'Vile Victorians' actually and not a bad job.
                  allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

I meant satin, not velvet. Apologies all
                    You always did know far too much about materials and silks sweetie

Dave x

Comment

Dave it all started with the swimming trunks my old mum knitted me when I was a kid.

Stephen Thomas thank you - my first daughter is due in about three weeks but I'll get her a copy of Vile Victorians tomorrow. I can't wait until she learns to read, then she'll understand what all those long walks with daddy around Whitechapel were about. Midnight, me, the little one, and a copy of Whitechapel CSI - I've got her whole childhood planned.

(See how I kept it on-topic there at the end? Neat. Moderators can't touch me now!)
                      Last edited by Henry Flower; 05-20-2012, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Neat mate!

Dave

Comment

This book sounds as if it will be a classic - can't wait! What's wrong with the odd top hat anyway - better than the picture of poor Mary that some have seen fit to use. Good luck with it - Albert

Comment

If you are going to pick holes in the cover, don't forget that Jack looks about 20 ft tall.....

The cover is irrelevant - this looks like being a great addition to the arsenal of JtR literature. Do let us know when there's an exact publication date.
                            They sought it with thimbles, they sought it with care; They pursued it with forks and hope;
                            They threatened its life with a railway-share; They charmed it with smiles and soap.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                              Hi John. I personally don't mind the top hat at all, and MUCH prefer this cover to the 'Jerusalem' one that you've had on Amazon all this time! Pardon my ignorance, but what are 'bespoke maps'?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                              The top hat is par for the course and almost expected on the cover of a Ripper book these days, as well as on movie posters, so go with the flow.

The best of luck to John and Paul with this promising new book.

Cheers

Chris
                              Christopher T. George
                              Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                              just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                              For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                              RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Usually when I have money to spend on a book there is nothing around worth buying. It looks as though that will change in the near future. I shall certainly buy this one. I'm not qualified to say what makes a good book cover, but, if the title is CSI Whitechapel, there probably needs to be an unmistakable visual clue as to the subject and, in the public perception (sadly), the top-hatted toff is the image which would get that point across.

Regards, Bridewell.
                                I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Working...
                                X