Jack the Ripper: CSI Whitechapel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PhiltheBear View Post
    I'm afraid I was disappointed with the CGI - largely because, presumably to give atmosphere, they've all been rendered as night time scenes. In turn that means that what could have been useful depictions of sites leaves them still shrouded. The rest of the book is very good and a useful introduction to the whole JtR story.
    I imagine they're night-time scenes because that's when the murders occurred - an attempt to make the crime scenes as authentic as possible.
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
      I imagine they're night-time scenes because that's when the murders occurred - an attempt to make the crime scenes as authentic as possible.
      Yes, I assumed so as well. Unfortunately I didn't think it worked very well and I thought it a bit of a wasted opportunity when a daylight scene would have given a much clearer idea of what each scene looked like. Perhaps having both might have been an idea. (BTW this is a very small criticism of an otherwise excellent book).
      They sought it with thimbles, they sought it with care; They pursued it with forks and hope;
      They threatened its life with a railway-share; They charmed it with smiles and soap.

Comment

• Originally posted by PhiltheBear View Post
        Yes, I assumed so as well. Unfortunately I didn't think it worked very well and I thought it a bit of a wasted opportunity when a daylight scene would have given a much clearer idea of what each scene looked like. Perhaps having both might have been an idea. (BTW this is a very small criticism of an otherwise excellent book).
        I have to agree with Phil. I absolutely loved the 3d renders and they are far and above anything I could ever hope to achieve. But I did feel frustrated with the night-time depictions. I find myself tilting the book in all directions to discern more detail from the shadows. I would like to have seen day time renders. It IS after all C.S.I so I think to see the scene in the right light conditions would be so much more advantageous. Also I was itching to see some internal renders. I'd love to see Jaakko's version of No.13 Miller's Court although I fear it would put my attempt to shame.
        JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
        JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
        ---------------------------------------------------
        JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website
        ---------------------------------------------------

Comment

• I can see some of the CGI renders would have benefited from a daylight scene, but I would suggest as well as not instead of the night time renderings. I think the night time rendering is important to demonstrate the conditions in which the murders took place and how details may have been missed by passers by.
          There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

• Hi TomTomKent - For what it's worth I agree with you - there does seem, to me at least, to be a need to demonstrate just how dark the murder scenes were - Many of the target readership will, after all, have been brought up on the concept of brightly lit streets...and would possibly otherwise find it difficult to envisage how restricted vision could really be...

All the best

Dave

Comment

• I saw this book in my local Waterstones. Would you recommend it?

Comment

• As a comprehensive general introduction to the case, then yes, more than any other book of it's kind historynerd!

All the best

Dave

PS Welcome to the boards by the way

Comment

• Originally posted by historynerd93 View Post
                  I saw this book in my local Waterstones. Would you recommend it?
                  I certainly would. There's a lot of useful information accompanied by Jake Lukaanen's superb illustrations. It's an excellent primer on the Whitechapel Murders.

Comment

• I got this book a few weeks ago and found it really useful in bringing the locations to life and helping to imagine what they would have been like at the time.

Comment

• Hello Scanbran and welcome to the boards...it's a cracking book isn't it? Have you read many others yet?

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                        Hello Scanbran and welcome to the boards...it's a cracking book isn't it? Have you read many others yet?

All the best

Dave
                        Welcome from me too, Scanbrain. Interesting name!

Comment

• Stunning imagery within the pages of this book and highly recommended to anyone with an interest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                            Hello Scanbran and welcome to the boards...it's a cracking book isn't it? Have you read many others yet?

All the best

Dave
                            Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                            Welcome from me too, Scanbrain. Interesting name!

Thanks for the welcome!

The first book I got was Philip Sugden's 'Complete History', which I bought on a whim as it had good reviews. Turns out that it was a decent choice after joining up here and seeing how popular it is! In between reading that I got the CSI book to help visualise the areas involved.

These books and this website have got me very interested in the whole case, and I've now bought a few more books (still to be read). I've started Paul Begg's 'The Facts' book and have a few more lined up ('Letters From Hell', 'The Lodger', 'A-Z')

So far I've just been amazed at the volume of information on this site and the depth of knowledge on the forum

Comment

• Hi Scanbran

All I can say is that you've chosen very wisely with all those titles. Hope you get as much from this website as I do!

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Thanks Dave!

Comment

Working...
                                X