Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Dracula Secrets Jack the Ripper and the Darkest Sources...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dracula Secrets Jack the Ripper and the Darkest Sources...

Noticed on amazon - The Dracula Secrets Jack the Ripper and the Darkest Sources of Bram Stoker, by Neil R Storey, Stroud, The History Press, due for publication on 1 May 2012. It should be a hardback with 288 pages.
    Last edited by Stewart P Evans; 12-20-2011, 12:38 PM.
    SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Also of interest...

Also of interest from the prolific Mr. Storey is The Victorian Criminal, Oxford, Shire Publications, 2011. This is a beautifully produced little book of 64 pages with outstanding illustrations, a snip at £6.99.

Of interest to those with a Ripper bent are the finely illustrated 12 pages on Jack the Ripper, pp. 50-61, near the end of the book. A fascinating albeit brief look at the subject that commands our main interest.
    SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

So has anyone picked up a copy of this yet and can provide a personal review?

Comment

I believe Rob Clack said on JtR Forums that he has a copy. No doubt his review is to be forthcoming.

It's next on my read list too.

Comment

I don't do reviews Dave. It's either good, mediocre or serious crap to me.
          I haven't started Neil Storey's book yet but I don't have a problem saying that it is a must buy. New photo of Tumblety in there which I am sure will be debated at length when more people get around to buying it.

Rob

Comment

Ha sounds like my own reviews!

Is the picture of Tumblety different from Tim Riorden's?

I'll have to try and hurry Amazon along.

Comment

Originally posted by DGB View Post
              Is the picture of Tumblety different from Tim Riorden's?
              No it's a new one. C1875

Rob

Comment

Bought a copy today and skimmed it.

I now need to consider the implications.

One oddity. I found a mention of Tumblety breaking bail, but no mention yet found of the charges of importuning/sexual misconduct he was arrested for.

It is a handsome book, I bought it in Waterstones in Birmingham, nicely illustrated with glossy pic section and other b&ws in the text. seems easy reading.

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
                  Noticed on amazon - The Dracula Secrets Jack the Ripper and the Darkest Sources of Bram Stoker, by Neil R Storey, Stroud, The History Press, due for publication on 1 May 2012. It should be a hardback with 288 pages.
                  Well, I'm still struggling with Jtr and black magic, by Spiro Dimolianis. It's a hard read but Victorian England was full of such interesting characters. I am noting this book for my list, sounds fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                    Well, I'm still struggling with Jtr and black magic, by Spiro Dimolianis. It's a hard read but Victorian England was full of such interesting characters.
                    Thanks for your interest in the book and I'm sure you'll benefit from its contents if you stay with it. The subject of the Whitechapel murders is vast and involved and I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. If Martin Fido and Paul Begg found it challenging, you are doing quite well.
                    Jack the Ripper Writers -- An online community of crime writers and historians.

http://ripperwriters.aforumfree.com

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...nd-black-magic

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by auspirograph View Post
                      Thanks for your interest in the book and I'm sure you'll benefit from its contents if you stay with it. The subject of the Whitechapel murders is vast and involved and I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. If Martin Fido and Paul Begg found it challenging, you are doing quite well.
                      You wrote this book? It is an encylopedia of these early times and is packed with information. I will not drop it, but it is like going over Victorian England with a fine toothed comb, lol.

Last night I read about the Crimes Club, unofficial name for Our Society, members of whom were Melville Macnaghten, George R. Sims and was astonished to read later, Donald Rumbelow.

Not information to walk away from Great book.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                        You wrote this book? It is an encylopedia of these early times and is packed with information. I will not drop it, but it is like going over Victorian England with a fine toothed comb, lol.

Last night I read about the Crimes Club, unofficial name for Our Society, members of whom were Melville Macnaghten, George R. Sims and was astonished to read later, Donald Rumbelow.

Not information to walk away from Great book.
                        Hi Beowulf,

Every time I pick up Spiro's book and read some more, I get embarassed as to how little I know about the case. It's packed with information.

Sincerely,
                        Mike
                        The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
                        http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

Working...
                        X