No announcement yet.

JAck the Ripper: The Making of the Myth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sounds sweet, and thanks Phil for not spoiling any detail of the book mine is now on it's way between Paris and my suburb, so actually I'll get it in time

Comment

This is turning out to be a golden year for JtR non-fiction. I liked Rob House's book, and I like this one just as much. Phil's review is absolutely accurate: John has produced an exemplary piece of work. If you fail to buy it, you will have missed a minor* masterpiece.

*Sugden, in my view, wrote the only major masterpiece, so there you go.

Comment

Just ordered my copy !
        http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Many thanks for the kind comments, people. :-)

Comment

Is this book still available anywhere? Damned if I can find it...

All the best

Dave

Comment

I think itys still on blurb.com
              “be just and fear not”

Comment

Blurb

Hello Jen

I'd looked there and it indicated the book was discontinued...tried the UK equivalent and got the same...perhaps I screwed up...will try again

Cheers

Dave

Comment

i guess you will have to bribe someone to get their copy if thats the case
                  “be just and fear not”

Comment

Hi Jen

Yes I think you're right...I tried again to no avail and can't find a second-hand copy on amazon, abebooks or any of my other contact bookvendors...nothing at all...which is unusual (Usually there's something but at a price - like anything between £50 and £100 for Neals Suspect book - says a lot that I paid £23 + post/packing and count it a real bargain!) but in this case I can't find anything...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Hi all,

As far as I know, The Making of the Myth is no longer available - and there are very few copies in existence!

John's a fine writer, and I know that he has developed his thoughts in his new collaboration with Paul Begg, The Complete and Essential Jack the Ripper.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

Price for everything....

Hi Mark

Noted...and it's on my list...but I bet it's not got the same overall emphasis, which was what actually made "The Making of the Myth" so interesting to me.

If it was such a "fail" for John then I'm horrified and stunned...ok it's not perhaps a mainstream interest but...

On the other hand, a fair number of folks did buy it and if nobody at all is parting with their copies on the second-hand market, that subtly conveys altogether another message.

All the best

Dave

Comment

I've a signed copy.....

......You're not having it.

Monty
                          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Case proven M'Lud...

Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,

I think, for a tenner, you'd be well advised to get the new book, because I really don't think you're going to find The Making of the Myth second-hand very easily.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

Exactly Mark...

I'm buying the new book regardless, as I already stated...

But on behalf of recent joiners, I can express regret can't I?

Look at all the folk who turn round and say "you only need to read this, that or the other book" - which turns out to be priced at £100 plus on the open market)...It seems that in JtR terms, if you weren't in the right place at the right time you're f****d...I don't blame the authors...it's simply life..but please, everyone, be careful when making suggestions to relative newbies!

All the best

Dave
                                Last edited by Cogidubnus; 08-02-2013, 11:46 PM. Reason: surplus blank line extracted (yes I'm truly anal!)

Comment

Working...
                                X